Notices

Words

Old 02-05-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Words

They say the pen is mightier than the sword. And I certainly know my words can be as destructive as a tornado. Leaving the landscape of my relationships scarred for years. But, when used properly, it can also plant beautiful gardens.

Many years ago my wife and I pulled up to a stop light in the major city we lived in and there was a panhandler. At the time I had very little regard for such people - which thankfully has changed. But she wanted to give him something that didn't further his burden. So instead of money, she pulled a granola bar out and handed it to him. It was received with great appreciation. Long after this incident - having had the spiritual awakening our 12th step promises - and realizing but for the grace of God - I started carrying around granola bars in my car for this purpose. I then began taping a bottle of water together with the granola bars. Finally, I began putting a label on the front with a simple one word message. Each time I restock and put these little care packages together, I often sit for half an hour or more thinking about what the best one word is I can put on the label. Because it just might be the only caring word the recipient hears all day. Something to let them know they are not forgotten, they too are Gods kids, but not preachy. The best word I've come up with: Loved.

God, through Your word, and our own, let us all know we're loved. Because we are.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a great idea. There are so many in my small city.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I forgot all about the critters. Carrying some dog biscuits or dog food would be nice also.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

I've heard it said we will always remember kindness. So true.

It's about 35 years ago and I was strung out and hungry on 2nd Avenue in the East Village in NYC. I used to get thrown out well everywhere and people on the street gave me THAT look or looked away. A man who owned a restaurant would come out and give me soup. I've never forgotten him.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 View Post
That's a great idea. There are so many in my small city.
Excellent idea! Thanks.