Notices

Half Measures don't Work part 3 .

Old 11-20-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Half Measures don't Work part 3 .

Last October I took stock of my circumstances relevant to my lifestyle and made a decision that would turn my whole life upside down .

I contacted the Head psychiatrist who dealt with my welfare and medication for my Bi-Polar ,a Dr Mason, and arranged an appointment to see her .

I met with her and informed her that I was stopping my medication firstly by cutting it down to zero ! reason being I hadn't had an episode for 6 years . I explained that I was fed up with feeling ''dull' and all Meds I had ever been prescribed were weight gaining .

She was firmly against this action and told me that most people that stopped medication ended up relapsing and ended up back in hospital and felt I would end up in the same position .

I explained that I was 68 yrs old lethargic badly overweight ,breathless full of aches and pains lacking in exercise and knew I was heading for an early death . I said that I did not know how long I would live ? that it was ''my life '' that I was not prepared to live the remainder of my life under the same circumstances as the previous 8 years .

I was adamant & persistent & very determined , reluctantly she said to me '' O k go ahead '' but promise me if you feel the slightest symptom returning , you must contact me as soon as possible , obviously I agreed to do so .

Since the 1970 s I have read and listened to various people over the years talking and explaining positive thinking and methods of planning , I always had a very good memory and had applied some of the ideas throughout the years .

Firstly the P R A M method = P - precise R- realistic A -achievable - M measurable or maintainable . Also the idea of being faced with an obstacle , solution is ''throw your mind over it and your body will follow '' you can if you think you can . Words like 'Cant & Wont , simply take away the ''T'' and you ''Can & Won '' all this plus books and cassettes of various AA speakers from a long time ago , Father John Doe , 1 st catholic priest in AA and author of The Prodigal Shepherd and Sobriety and Beyond , tapes of Jack Brennan , Sackville Clancy I and Chuck C , Joe & Charlie , Chuck C s book '' A New Pair of Glasses '' Eckhart Tolle book '' The Power of Now '' all came to mind .

At that point 18 Stone , 46 inch waist XXXL shirt sizes , breathless on stairs and hilly ground used Inhaler ( Salamol ) 4 times daily .

Ist thing , sugar free , low fat , low calorie , and ''portion control '' cut out junk food ,chocolate sweets and cakes , eat loads of fruit ,veg drink loads water , porridge oats every morning all healthy eating and less calories . Don't make this an obsession ,have a treat now and then, was my aim .

Commenced this lifestyle January and end of February I lost 6 lbs , encouraged I decided to start walking , near where I live is a huge park with a man made lake in the center it is 1 & quarter miles round which is 2 kilometers . first attempt took 30 minutes I was breathless and red in the face I persisted and started doing 2 then 3 then 4 circuits this took me 5 weeks roughly , I was now doing 1 circuit in 20 minutes , I did two sat in car 2 pieces of fruit then another two , I tested myself and speed walked the distance in 16 . 5 minutes ! a bit sweaty ! but not breathless ( amazing ) .

End of May this year I weighed 16 . 4 lbs 42 inch waist , my left knee collapsed under me , I had damaged my cruciate ligament , '' self inflicted , not knowing I should warm up and stretch before and cool down and stretch at the end .

No walking for me , no half measures again ,went to health club to swimming , could only swim about 10 minutes of breast stroke then pain ,'' not to be defeated'' I started walking back and forward through waist high water in the warm up pool , I started of slowly and built up to 100 - 150 lengths of the pool every morning from 7 am I did this 6 days a week lost weight, knee got better and I started swimming .

I swam solid 3 .5 hours every morning 6 days a week , no inhalers lung capacity more than doubled and I was losing '' 3 lbs every week without fail '' incredible, waist size 38 inch , shirt large size , no x x x needed , as time went on it became harder to lose weight , I was sort of leveling off, I was now 14.5 lbs .

4 weeks ago I hit 14 stone and stopped losing weight , my target had been 12 .7 lbs - 13 stone .

I joined the gym and combined Abs and 1 hour swimming and jogging through waist high water doing 100 of 25 meter lengths in less than 1 hour .

Never mentioned I had joined a forum comprising weight loss , fitness and increased stamina , they recommended 4 organic super health powders , Spirulina , ( from algae ) Cocoa in natural state , Wheatgrass , and Maca powder ( a Peruvian Root ) first three powders above = one teaspoonful of each morning and evening in 1 half pint of chosen liquid or blended of fruit ! 1 glass of water beforehand , Maca powder one teaspoon once a day .

Stamina is incredible these powders work 1000% , never felt so well , never been fitter , do not have one ache or pain in my entire body , cant remember last time I had a headache , totally incredible , that is the only reason I can do so much and I do so somewhat effortlessly !!.

Now I weigh 13 .9 lbs and my 6 day routine consists of 2 by 45 minute ''Body Pump '' classes , gym 3 by 1 hour sessions doing mostly Abs and now I am doing ''PLANK ''exercises very difficult at start, they are ''core '' exercises . 1 water jog for 1 hour and swim for 1 hour 6 days a week , I rest on a Sunday . Each session ends with , sauna /steam room / jacuzzi shower and home, 7 am till 11 am , made loads of friends some great guys , some AA s , it is now my hobby /pastime / social / and fitness program and I love it .

Just a point , 3 months ago I was doing my 3 . 5 hour swimming in the 50 meter pool , when this guy asked if it was OK to share the lane ? I said no problem, it became obvious he was not an ordinary swimmer , he had an ''Olympic and Commonwealth swim cap , we stopped for short break and got talking , I told him what I was doing and so on , this guy won a ''Olympic Silver and Commonwealth silver '' at 100 meter breast stroke he was training for Olympic trials next year .

He asked me if I was doing anything interesting in my efforts ? I told him I was taking '' organic powder supplements '' he asked what they were ? I told him , he looked at me and said '' you are shitting me ? '' I laughed and said no , he said '' how the hell did you find out about them '' ? I told him , and he said to me '' do you know that British Athletics have the top Nutritutionists in the Land '' and every athlete take exact same supplements !!!! I was ecstatic !! a tremendous boost to me and helped push me on .

I have also been discharged by Dr Mason !! she says she has never met anyone like me , so mentally focused and alert , it all comes down to Endorphins being awakened etc , she says I am an inspiration and wishes some of her patients had the same attitude and outlook .

Not much more to say except I am not being boastful as it is all 100% true , its amazing what one can do if one has a focused mind and the body responds bit by bit , I am very very fortunate not to have any illness or complaints or joint or mobility problems and I thank God for that .

The program of Alcoholics Anonymous requires action , Honesty /Openmindedness Willingness . No half measures , it promises a life beyond our wildest dreams ,like P. R. A. M it is precise realistic achievable and maintainable .

Acceptance is the answer to all my problems .. A Father John Doe classic = ''if you have a problem ? then there is a solution , if there is no solution ? then its not a problem so accept it and its solved , no problem , accepting the things we cannot change does not mean we are pleased about it .

NB Father John Doe is Ralph Pfau AA member now dead' and he was also an author and made a collection of '';Golden Records '' relating to AA .

Being sober and Alcoholics Anonymous' s program and philosophy, AA members and action and effort and God deserve all the plaudits for condition of my mind ,my body , my soul . And they say it gets better !!!!!! I refuse to get old !! I am staying young for longer ha ha .

Regards

Stevie .
sobriety date 12/ 03 / 2006
Old 11-26-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Thanks Stevie, that's what I call a useful post. I am not over weight, but I am unfit and swim like a stone. My stamina is not great either. Maybe I'll take a leaf out of your book
Old 11-26-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ha Ha Mike sometimes old dogs can be taught 'new tricks ' . It is 6.20 am in UK I will be leaving shortly for gym /swimming LUV . It .

Regards .

Stevie .
Old 11-27-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks for inspiring me!
Old 11-27-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Stevie, great share!! Can you explain to a dumb American what Stone's are? form of weight? Body fat? I printed off your thread and plan on doing some research on P. R. A. M.. Very interesting!! Thanks again! have a good afternoon!
Old 11-27-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Dave .

UK before it went metric, meant in weight measurement that 14 lbs ( 14 pounds ) = 1 stone therefore my weight was 238 lbs or 17 .5 stones .
there are 8 stones in 1 cwt ( hundred weight) , 16 ounces in 1 lb
I can never get to grips with the metric system in weight and measurement , I still measure in feet and inches which was taught to me at school . 12 inches = 1 foot , 3 feet = 1 yard . 8 pints = 1 gallon

Some info , you have to ''burn '' 3500 calories to lose 1 lb in weight . don't understand ''kilos '' I know 2.2 lbs = 1 kilo , grams ? I 'm lost

Hope that helps , take care .

Regards .

Stevie
Old 11-27-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

P.R A. M I actually picked that up in late 1980s , I was a Salesmanager , selling direct insurance , life , pension , mortgage etc , commission only = no sales meant no wages ie money , very difficult job had to self motivate myself and sales team some guys went from '' hero to zero '' top of sales board one month next month nothing , rat race and very very difficult to keep going .

Regards .

Stevie
Old 11-27-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Sugarbear it takes time , love your quotation which is also very inspiring . take care .

Regards .

Stevie
Old 11-27-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you, Sir! I'm a salesman too! Closed a lot of deals after big dinners and buying many drinks, funny today looking back my boss for many years was a bigger drinker than I.. Thanks again for all the information and the thread! Powerful stuff!! Have a blessed weekend!!
Old 11-27-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I always say that there are two different analogies re sales people , some are order takers where people come to premises and ask for goods I believe salesmen are ''born '' people buy from people . No chance of 2nd impression if people take a dislike ? game over . Insurance is one of the most difficult things to sell , it is a product you cannot see , two things people don't want to talk about is '' death and retirement '' you can earn good money but it is ongoing yesterdays history sell sell sell , can lead to ill health ulcers and so on .

Regards .

Stevie
Old 11-27-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Great stuff!!

I am a few week shy of 18 months sober. I quit smoking as well over 8 months back - 56 years old. Taking cholesterol medicine daily - life is wayyy to sedentary.

Did you find your energy level to increase pretty quick? That seems to be an issue for me is the starting part.

Inspirational post - Thanks!
Old 11-27-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's so true even across the pond.. I know the order taker annologie too well.. I'm a relationship guy.. Sold investments myself years ago and now sell high tech networking gear.. I like the old school methods! Return every call early and return every email fast even if it's bad news.. Real buyers respect speed, honesty and persistent people.. Love it still!!
Old 11-27-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Nice post Stevie. As I read it I thought back to many of my so-called prayers to this magical genie I'd made my "God" in recovery. I'd go to meetings and talk about this awesome God I made contact with......how cool it was......and so on. What I'd really done is create a Santa Claus-like God that I imagined I was close to - and by close to I meant I asked for lots of things (weight loss, stopping smoking, helping me be nicer to people and more forgiving, etc). I'd read daily prayer books and try daily to connect to this "God" I'd discovered. Low and behold, those "prayers" went unanswered.

Over time it occurred to me that simply asking whatever HP I've constructed to give me this and give me that, help me with this and get me through that wasn't a spiritual life at all. I was doing most of the same crap I'd always done and instead of relying on booze or drugs to make things better I was not relying on this BS God of mine to do it......all the while, I wasn't putting in my end of the bargain.

Your post is a great reminder to me that simply asking for things I want isn't prayer. Doing it all day long isn't spirituality. On the other hand, making the changes I CAN make (now that I/we've been given the wisdom to know what we can do.....and the power to do it) and getting on with my life the way I should rather than the way that feels the most comfortable is truly living a spiritual life.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Fly n Buy .

Congrats on near 18 months and well done on stopping smoking also , I found stopping smoking one of the hardest things I ever done, don't know about you ? .

Stamina levels ? not an expert but in my case I done some research and I payed a fee to join ''Fat Diminishers '' in USA cost about 20-25 $ and well worth it , guy called Wesley Virgin I received an online booklet 100 pages approx giving advice and so on, nutrition , diet , fitness , stamina and so on .

Organic Powders ( superfoods ) ( 1 ) Wheatgrass ( 2) Spirulina ( 3 ) Cacoa ( 4) Maca . I take 3 powders morning and evening and Maca powder once daily . 1 tsp of each mixed with ???? I use still flavored water half pint using a blender . Same with the Maca powder its recommended to drink half pint of water before taking each mixture .

They work 1 Million percent Guaranteed , my stamina has gone through the roof I kid you not , within about a month I was swimming 3 and half hours no problem ,no breathlessness and effortless .

I pointed out that the UK Olympic squad ( swimming ), I imagine other athletes as well use them, ( said this in earlier posting ) I purchase them from Amazon in 1 kg packets , not that expensive, Maca then Spirulina are the dearest ones , they last a long time so are good value .

Healthy eating is very important , I went sugar free , low calorie , low fat , and ''portion control '' eat loads of fruit and veg and drink plenty of water , I eat loose porridge oats 7 days a week for breakfast
still have the odd treat ( no obsession )
Health and fitness has a lot to do with what we put into our body so its better to get that right , recently I started eating '' Greek Natural Yoghurt '' with chopped up Kiwi fruit ( one only ) its what they deem to be the ''best probiotic '' combination in the world its what they call '' good bacteria '' my daily fruit intake is 2 pears 1 medium banana I apple , 1 tangerine pus the 1 kiwi , sometimes I get grapefruit and eat the 2 halves as well .

The proof of the pudding is in the eating ? today I done 15 mins plank , 500 sit-ups 250 skips on rope pus 15 mins on two machines for abs all done one after the other and no breathlessness . Then straight to jogging 2500 mtrs through waist high water in 1 hour , sauna /steam for 45 mins ,swam 20 minutes for cool down , shower then home . 3 hours approx in total I have loads of spare time

Not bad for near 70 yr old eh ? I do all of the above 6 days a week and I do two body pump 45 minute classes as well , of course I built up to this from about May, but I have only been doing gym work for 6 weeks !! so there , and I will continue to improve if I continue on the same path . I swam 3 and half hours of breast stroke every morning 6 days a week from mid May to 5 weeks ago , before that I walked 5 - 7.5 miles 6 days a week from March , waist 46 inch now 36 inch and lost 56 lbs in weight since march .

That's it hope it helps , go for it best 25 bucks I ever spent . take care .
Regards

Stevie
Old 11-28-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day Trader , yes I know exactly what you are talking about , Father John Doe tells the story, two boxers about to commence fighting and one boxer blesses himself ( sign of cross ) and says to a priest sitting next to him '' Father will that help him ? priest replies of course it will, if he can fight '' he also said if ''you pray for potatoes ? you better grab a shovel '' .

Yeah trying to make deals with HP , I went through a period many many years ago of '' born again '' was that heavenly I was no earthly use to anybody . take care .

Regards .

Stevie recovered alcoholic .
Old 11-28-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Being a relationship guy cannot be beaten , remember I used to impress upon my sales team that once we gather a client bank we need to act like they are part of the family , occasional phone call Xmas cards etc , told them that maybe ''right now '' some other salesman is trying to get them to cancel and switch to his company , so make your clients remember who you are , and by doing so , if they require further advice ? then they will automatically think of you . take care .

Regards .

Stevie
Old 11-28-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by stevieg46 View Post
Hi Fly n Buy .

Congrats on near 18 months and well done on stopping smoking also , I found stopping smoking one of the hardest things I ever done, don't know about you ? .

Stamina levels ? not an expert but in my case I done some research and I payed a fee to join ''Fat Diminishers '' in USA cost about 20-25 $ and well worth it , guy called Wesley Virgin I received an online booklet 100 pages approx giving advice and so on, nutrition , diet , fitness , stamina and so on .

Organic Powders ( superfoods ) ( 1 ) Wheatgrass ( 2) Spirulina ( 3 ) Cacoa ( 4) Maca . I take 3 powders morning and evening and Maca powder once daily . 1 tsp of each mixed with ???? I use still flavored water half pint using a blender . Same with the Maca powder its recommended to drink half pint of water before taking each mixture .

They work 1 Million percent Guaranteed , my stamina has gone through the roof I kid you not , within about a month I was swimming 3 and half hours no problem ,no breathlessness and effortless .

I pointed out that the UK Olympic squad ( swimming ), I imagine other athletes as well use them, ( said this in earlier posting ) I purchase them from Amazon in 1 kg packets , not that expensive, Maca then Spirulina are the dearest ones , they last a long time so are good value .

Healthy eating is very important , I went sugar free , low calorie , low fat , and ''portion control '' eat loads of fruit and veg and drink plenty of water , I eat loose porridge oats 7 days a week for breakfast
still have the odd treat ( no obsession )
Health and fitness has a lot to do with what we put into our body so its better to get that right , recently I started eating '' Greek Natural Yoghurt '' with chopped up Kiwi fruit ( one only ) its what they deem to be the ''best probiotic '' combination in the world its what they call '' good bacteria '' my daily fruit intake is 2 pears 1 medium banana I apple , 1 tangerine pus the 1 kiwi , sometimes I get grapefruit and eat the 2 halves as well .

The proof of the pudding is in the eating ? today I done 15 mins plank , 500 sit-ups 250 skips on rope pus 15 mins on two machines for abs all done one after the other and no breathlessness . Then straight to jogging 2500 mtrs through waist high water in 1 hour , sauna /steam for 45 mins ,swam 20 minutes for cool down , shower then home . 3 hours approx in total I have loads of spare time

Not bad for near 70 yr old eh ? I do all of the above 6 days a week and I do two body pump 45 minute classes as well , of course I built up to this from about May, but I have only been doing gym work for 6 weeks !! so there , and I will continue to improve if I continue on the same path . I swam 3 and half hours of breast stroke every morning 6 days a week from mid May to 5 weeks ago , before that I walked 5 - 7.5 miles 6 days a week from March , waist 46 inch now 36 inch and lost 56 lbs in weight since march .

That's it hope it helps , go for it best 25 bucks I ever spent . take care .
Regards

Stevie
Making notes man, thanks!! This is an impactful thread, and I too am a member of a fellowship that only has one requirement = thank goodness!

Wonder if you post in nutrition and health threads here as well?

Regardless, thanks for the follow up!

I did the nicotine dance for years and toyed with patches, ecigs - wellbutrin et al. At the height of the smoking insanity I'd have a piece of gum in my yap, be wearing patches like a belt while switching to "light" cigarettes........wow.

Finally, I reasoned that the same God who removed my obsession to drink could and would remove my obsession to smoke.........if He were sought!@ So, I sought Him for the gift as well.

The first few weeks weren't easy, but I was ready and just tossed all traces of nicotine away. When I am around someone smoking now, there are times I could make a cigs disappear in one drag - but I don't. Time has now come to address the eat a thon........

peace
Old 11-30-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Fly n Buy .

Like you I tried everything under the sun I tried Zyban nearly drove me nuts ( side effects ) Champix as well not good side effects , I went for Hypnosis $ 150 one session and stopped for about 10 weeks then started again , went back later and made appointment for my late Mum $ 300 , I was about 10 minutes into the session and my thinking was !!!!! ''wish to F** k he would hurry up so I can have a smoke ha ha'' ( true story). In the end ''cold turkey '' and AA program did the job

I have noticed the health and fitness forum but as yet I haven't looked in .
Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing I don't mind trying to give you some encouragement if needed .take care .

Regards .
Stevie