Notices

God's plan just doesn't make sense

Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

God's plan just doesn't make sense

I was just reading an article about 3 students who passed away who were attending the university I go to. One died of cancer, one was unexplained, and one died after administering CPR so intensely that she suffered a stroke. They all looked like clean cut college kids who did everything right. The one girl died trying to save someones life. I wonder why God allows people like them to die but saves people like me. I was a raging drug addict who shared needles, committed felonies on a daily basis, lied, stole, sold drugs, ect. Life just isn't fair and the things God does doesn't make sense. People like them deserve to be alive and people like me should be rotting away in prison dying of AIDS. But I have never been to prison, I am not a convicted felon some how, and I don't have AIDS even though I probably should. I don't know why God chose the remove the obsession from me but not others. I didn't do anything special to deserve what God did for me. I guess none of it is for me to figure out though. I remember someone in a meeting saying that he is glad life isn't fair and is glad that he hasn't gotten what he deserves.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a tough situation to be in. I wouldn't worry to much about things that are out of your control. I know how hard that can be. I myself think way too much as well. Worry and stress will get you no where. Faith and religion can be a hard thing to understand. No one really knows why things work they way they do. Just try to stay positive and be thankful for the time you have here.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I can't help you with the God thing PAC, but if that's your belief can't you speculate that you've been 'saved' for some purpose?
On a secular level, some destructive people thrive and prosper, and good people die, but what we have in common is a life where the cards are dealt a certain way, and we must work with what we have.
You may have avoided AIDS, prison and other bad outcomes because you have an inner core of sense or caution that stopped you going all the way into a destructive life.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Um,it wasnt God,it was life.
There is a higher power but the HP doesnt decide to take nice people and leave not so nice people.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
I can't help you with the God thing PAC, but if that's your belief can't you speculate that you've been 'saved' for some purpose?
On a secular level, some destructive people thrive and prosper, and good people die, but what we have in common is a life where the cards are dealt a certain way, and we must work with what we have.
You may have avoided AIDS, prison and other bad outcomes because you have an inner core of sense or caution that stopped you going all the way into a destructive life.
I sold a lot of dope and would have done sometime if I got caught especially with the political climate in my area. They would have hung me. I did it for years. God kept me out of jail for some reason.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAaaron View Post
Um,it wasnt God,it was life.
There is a higher power but the HP doesnt decide to take nice people and leave not so nice people.
A higher power controls life and death. A higher power decided to deliver me from insanity. Getting clean wasn't my idea.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I believe I would find me a new belief,one that works better.
If God kills people,then where is room for the devil or lower power?
so if that be the case,God does all the bad?I can`t go that route myself.
It is kind of backwards of my belief.But you are free to believe what you want too
Old 09-25-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
skg

It's called a Fallen world for a reason, and we don't get to dictate life's terms. What you're experiencing is Grace. Might be a good time to start a gratitude list... Just a suggestion...
Old 09-25-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

this is something i went through early in recovery. i think it was being diagnosed stage 3 melanoma 13 months in, then getting my care at the u of m cancer center. i saw many, many children fighting for their lives.
and there i was- 37years old. did some pretty mean,horrible things to people when i was drinking.
why in the hell would God let me live through it all while there were those children- many of which may never experience their first crush, getting a drivers license, prom, graduation, first paycheck, first love.......all the firsts and experiences.
it really bothered me. talked to quite a few people about it yet nothing they said seemed to comfort me.
then i prayed on it. i asked God himself.then waited for a reply.
i remember being in my shop tinkering when i heard the reply.
"everything happens in My time and My way and it ALL has a reason for it. one day you will know what that reason is but until then trust in Me."
i dont think i can put into words the feeling that came after, but one of them?
i felt like crap. thinking i know better than God how this world of ours should be.

shortly afterwards i was reading a book- either aa comes of age or pass it on- and read something father ed told bill w during their first meeting:
we will never understand God.our idea of God will always be lacking,for to understand,to comprehend God, is to be equal to God.

it was then i accepted i am powerless over a whole lot of what happens in tbe world.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Its a shame, but we will never really know why sometimes. I often think about this but as my sponsor says "if we think too much about the whys and what ifs, we will end up drinking again and then we will be gone too". God's plans don't have to make sense to us, we just have to play our part in them.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Believe in a different concept of God.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Maybe it's God. Maybe it's a cosmic random number generator. I don't believe it's either but who knows,. It's nothing any of us can control.

A roommate of mine died in the room where we were all too nodded out to help him. Junkies that we were would probably have split rather than help him. A month later I was going into an overdose and respiratory arrest and someone has the presence of mind to get me help. Why did Kevin die and I'm still here? Not for me to answer.

I did some really bad things before I got sober (and also after). I spoke about most of them in my 5th Step and the rest with a therapist, I made amends when possible, a big part of which is using my experience before and since I've been sober to try and be of use in the world - both inside and outside the rooms. That's all I have.

-allan
Old 09-25-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
I believe I would find me a new belief,one that works better.
If God kills people,then where is room for the devil or lower power?
so if that be the case,God does all the bad?I can`t go that route myself.
It is kind of backwards of my belief.But you are free to believe what you want too
I like theGnostic approach. They believe there are two Gods.

The first who they don't talk about, causes all the mischief and misery in the world.

The second, called the Godhead, is the power for good that helps us cope with the difficulties the other fellow causes.

That makes sense to me. I have trouble making sense of the idea that the God that has looked after me during my worst times in sobriety, when loved ones get sick and die, was the same one that caused the problems.

Another Gnostic belief is that each person is entitled to their own direct relationship with God without going through the bishops. They cut out the middle man.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
this is something i went through early in recovery. i think it was being diagnosed stage 3 melanoma 13 months in, then getting my care at the u of m cancer center. i saw many, many children fighting for their lives.
and there i was- 37years old. did some pretty mean,horrible things to people when i was drinking.
why in the hell would God let me live through it all while there were those children- many of which may never experience their first crush, getting a drivers license, prom, graduation, first paycheck, first love.......all the firsts and experiences.
it really bothered me. talked to quite a few people about it yet nothing they said seemed to comfort me.
then i prayed on it. i asked God himself.then waited for a reply.
i remember being in my shop tinkering when i heard the reply.
"everything happens in My time and My way and it ALL has a reason for it. one day you will know what that reason is but until then trust in Me."
i dont think i can put into words the feeling that came after, but one of them?
i felt like crap. thinking i know better than God how this world of ours should be.

shortly afterwards i was reading a book- either aa comes of age or pass it on- and read something father ed told bill w during their first meeting:
we will never understand God.our idea of God will always be lacking,for to understand,to comprehend God, is to be equal to God.

it was then i accepted i am powerless over a whole lot of what happens in tbe world.
I love what you say here, tomsteve and it reflects much of how I see things. I am not here to understand God, but to do His will.

Life happens - we have this thing called Free Will and some will use to harm others, and that is something I have to accept. If and when someone dies "before their time" that is me thinking I know what their time really is, and that is me playing God. It's sad to see children die, to see "good" people die (we all have good in us), to have things happen with no real reason, but in the end, I can't get caught up in the my old shame of guilt of what I used to do / be like and just focus on what I can do / be. If I can add positivity and help other alcoholics, then I am here for a reason. If I get mowed down by a bus tomorrow, so be it.

When I get wound up like this, I find doubling up on my efforts in helping others (alcoholic or not - like my family, neighbours, etc) works and looking at gratitude.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Why does someone unexpectedly die? Why does my sister in law suddenly come into an inheritance worth a cool five million? Fate I guess.

My wife likes to play a similar game. The "what if" game. What if I got sick and cost my job or something equally negative. What if this or what if that.

If I'm going to play I prefer something positive like what if I won the lottery? Or what if I could be 22 again?
Old 09-26-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I always liked the analogy I heard at my father-in-law's funeral.

That this is all a tapestry I'm looking at from the back. From that perspective, it's just a jumble of brightly coloured threads that don't make much sense. In fact it pretty much looks like a big mess to me.

The front side is a beautiful panoramic scene that would make perfect sense if only I could see it.

Just like little kids can't conceive of some things, like why they can't play with that shiny sharp knife, I've experienced enough to now trust that there are things beyond my limited senses to even comprehend. This is what works for me anyway.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I'm not a religious person per say , I do believe there is a god of sorts . My Mom was catholic - when someone would pass - I remember asking Why them ? She would just simply say - We are all put in this world for a reason , God has a plan for each of us . The way I took it is we never know when are time is up only he knows .
Live life to the fullest everyday , until our time is up
I believe none of us want to be bad or do bad . We make bad choices , sometimes Just my thoughts
Old 09-26-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I ask my self these questions often. My daughter is gone but I'm here. She led a great life I didnt.

I love the passage from the bible, As high as the heavens are above the earth my thoughts are above your thoughts.

Our plans are not God's plans. Why me? I guess I will have to wait for that answer.

I do know I'm going to try to be the best person I can with the second chance I've been given
Old 09-26-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

one day I thought about sobriety,life and death.I thought of sickness and injury.
I am glad there is a chance to die,when it comes my turn.If I was sick and confined to a bed with no chance to gettin up,would I like to stay there for eternity?
No
If I had an accident and was in a bed with a brain that didn`t work,and I was like a vegatable,would I like to stay there for eternity?no
would I like to see family,friends,or myself stay sick for eternity?
no
we have many unanswerable questions
but we also have a great Hope.

looking at it that way,dying may not be so bad if we have something better for us on that other side.Do I want to die?Not yet,I have a selfish streak and I want to hang in here with my friends and family.

God may be doing me a great big blessing when I die so until then,I hang in there,try to trust and rely in God and try to do my small part to make the lives of others a little better today,and in doing so,it makes my life a little better today
Old 09-26-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In a lot of areas I've been fortunate. In other areas not so much. But I did get myself a program of recovery so I could learn to take care of myself. That lessened my chances of dying sooner than I would've otherwise.

I feel everything bad that happens is either things that man does to others or himself, or things of nature (viruses, disease etc). Everything else is God, and He is there to comfort us when the bad things happen

I remember when I was the closest to god I've ever been around the time I was finishing up my writing and the few years after that, I just knew that it would be so good to be with God when I die. I would really know Him then.