Notices

Freedom

Old 07-04-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Freedom

Being the 4th of July, the word "freedom" is at the top of my mind. A word which I used to see as a description of external circumstances. Such as having enough money to buy whatever I want. Or having an overly-understanding family letting me go wherever/whenever I feel. Or, in drunk terms, not being behind bars. But what I've come to learn is that freedom is an internal state of being. Just as slavery is the opposing internal state of being. The biggest example of slavery for me is active addiction. And the biggest example of freedom for me is sobriety.

As the saying goes, freedom isn't free. It takes a lot of work. And, ironically, it takes surrender. Surrender to the fact that I am not like normal men. Surrender to the fact that I must live a life based on spiritual principles. And surrender to the Higher Power which gives me the willingness and strength to go just 24 hours more.

I used to think how wonderful it would be if I could just have the freedom to drink as much as I wanted when I wanted. True freedom I thought. This is all I need do in order to see how broken my thinking was. Confusing utter slavery for freedom. I needed a new plan for living. And was freely given one built in the efforts of others long before my time. How could I not have gratitude running over in my heart.

Surrender to win! Let freedom ring!