Notices

Ashes to ashes

Old 04-19-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ashes to ashes

On my run this morning I went passed a duplex that had one side gutted by fire. I have been watching the reconstruction of this unit for a few weeks. The thought that struck me about it today was not about the house going up in flames, or the occupant, but of the neighbors. Particularly the other portion of the duplex. The construction dumpster sprawled not just in the burned down units yard, but seemed to intrude into its conjoined neighbors yard as well. Surely the sights and sounds of this rebuilding are often annoying for them. But there is a hope there. Knowing that peace will soon return. And the neighboring structure will be so much the better than it even was before.

All of this made me think of my wife. For we too are conjoined. And she had a front row seat in the consuming inferno of addiction which burned me to the ground. Likewise, she has experienced the annoyances which accompany reconstruction. But with that annoyance, I believe, comes also a new hope. A sense that what is being built will be even better than what went up in flames.

Let us all rise like a Phoenix from the ash.