Notices

Priorities

Old 01-28-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Priorities

This has been one of those weeks where life seems to have overtaken me. There never seems to be enough time in the day. Yesterday I didn't make the time to do my daily writing/texting. The day before I did so later than normal. A pattern I need to be very aware of and shutdown before it becomes a new normal.

Thankfully I still had my prayer and meditation each of those days. As well as made my scheduled meetings. One immediately after work Monday. And the other around noon yesterday. Though my mind was saying "but you have so much work to do". The truth is, without my fit spiritual condition, there is no job. No family. No house or car. No Michael as I've now come to know him. I might as well kiss it all goodbye as I would be back in active disease post haste.

As one of my sponsors is fond of telling me, "We have to build our lives around recovery. Not recovery around our lives."
Old 01-28-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me sobriety is my foundation and I've never forgotten that. Without it all bets are off. I can't recall a time in my sobriety when I thought a drink would make things better. As far as using the tools of the program whatever floats your boat is fine. I enjoy listening to others share about how they've dealt with a hardship in a positive manner.

Last week I caught myself before getting upset with a clerk. I could feel myself getting angry and told the clerk to pack up my cell phone and I would take it to another store. He knew I was upset but I didn't make the situation worse.

That's what I shared at a meeting. Maybe a minor thing.

But it's how I gage if I'm working my program.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
...Maybe a minor thing. But it's how I gage if I'm working my program.
It's all the minor everyday things we handle differently that makeup the recovering alcoholic. That demonstrate to ourselves and the world our character. Though I tell a very select few people I am in a program, internally, I act as if I am a walking billboard for AA. I want anyone who may come to find out I am in recovery to say "huh, he's a reasonable and decent human being". And it's those everyday minor things that build that impression. Thanks for the post.