Notices

Think think think

Old 12-19-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think think think

Of all the cliche sayings on the walls when I came in, this one sparked my curiosity the most. So when I asked an old timer what it meant and was told "oh, that's not for you right now", I was a little more than curious. I was determined to know.

The problem was, my thinking is precisely what was broken. So the meaning behind the slogan was pointless. Nevertheless, I set about my investigation and queried as many people as I could about the mysterious saying. Frustratingly, I seemed to get a different answer from every person. And kind of gave up.

With the gift of sobriety, my brain had dried out a bit. And I've actually come to have my own understanding and use of the three "thinks". The first Think is to recollect the past. What happened the last time I put alcohol into my body? Not what happened back when it was working for me 20 years ago. But the last drunk I had. Because that is the accurate portrayal of where my state of alcoholism is. There is no going backwards. The second Think is for me to think of all the things I presently have that would be lost in a matter of weeks, if not days, should I take that next drink. Vanished so quickly it would seem they were never there. The third Think has me project what it would look like five years from now were I to go back into active addiction. I'm no fortune teller, but I have a mountain of past evidence to reveal the future wreckage. All three of these are incredibly bleak. And typically these "thinks" have no trouble at all brushing aside the aberrant thought that a glass of wine might be nice. I've never had "a" glass of anything in my life!

In the beginning, my mind was too twisted up to utilize this handy tool. For as the book says, "We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago". I had to dry out first. Then "think think think".

I can't think my way into sober acting. I have to act my way into sober thinking.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
...The first Think is to recollect the past. What happened the last time I put alcohol into my body? Not what happened back when it was working for me 20 years ago. But the last drunk I had. Because that is the accurate portrayal of where my state of alcoholism is..
I've never forgotten where I was when I came in and this is a strong part of my recovery.

Because no matter how I might spin things at times. I can never get past the simple fact my life is much better today then when I first entered the rooms.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't think my way into sober acting. I have to act my way into sober thinking.
yes i agree totatly, only because i can look back now and see the way i had to go
all i did was get to meetings day and night, thought nothing else other than get there and sit there and everyone of those meetings helped me in one way or another, just being around people like me it fed me with hope so i kept on going back for more

besides as i had no job and no one else at my flat with me it got me out of isolating gave me some sort of purpose to get up and start living a day

the program, the steps, and everything else really played no part at all in my early days and only became of use to me after 2 years when i finally had a go at it all

there is no doubt the program has helped me to change and grow in a different direction but i never babble on and on about it as i know what i had to do in my early days when i had nothing other than depair of how my life had ended up

to this day i am amazed i never just ended it all rather than just somehow carry on
but the people in aa lead me to believe that one day things in my life wouldnt always be like they were
just so long as i didnt pick up that first drink and kept on coming back, be around it all etc

so thats all i did like i said for the first 2 years and i grew despite myself

all i did was put in some action the rest came
Old 12-19-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I set about my investigation and queried as many people as I could about the mysterious saying. Frustratingly, I seemed to get a different answer from every person. And kind of gave up.
One story that I have heard, more than once, was that IBM had a marketing campaign were it gave out thousands of signs with the words
"Think. Think. Think".

People started bringing them to meetings and hanging them up without GC approval.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post, michaelg. Lots of wisdom and insight.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
One story that I have heard, more than once, was that IBM had a marketing campaign were it gave out thousands of signs with the words "Think. Think. Think". People started bringing them to meetings and hanging them up without GC approval.
Interesting. I was fired from a great job at IBM once. I'm sure you can guess the cause.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

As alcoholics, we are impulsive folks. Rash decisions lead many of us to the cusp of death.

Think, think, think - simply means this: If you now have a thought don't react initially to it - Think!

When it comes around again, do the same - don't react - Think!

If and when it comes around again, and it still seems like something we should do or say to another - Think one last time before it's done!

The point is to think things through thoroughly before our compulsive nature manifests in words or action something we will regret.

This is my understanding of the phrase, but like many AA slogans there are probably multiple meanings

I have seen another sign that read THINMK!

FlyN
Old 12-19-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I prefer "Pause, pause, pause."
Old 12-19-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pagekeeper View Post
I prefer "Pause, pause, pause."
Yes, I like that.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In the 11th step it says GOD gave us brains to use think3
Old 12-19-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One story that I have heard, more than once, was that IBM had a marketing campaign were it gave out thousands of signs with the words
"Think. Think. Think".

People started bringing them to meetings and hanging them up without GC approval.
I actually hope this is true, because it's the only thing I've every heard regarding that sign that makes any sense to me .

That's the one slogan I could never wrap my brain around, nor get on board with, and like the OP, any time I ever asked - I got a different answer. And more often than not the answer was one that evaded the question.

Anyone here ever hear anyone repeat that slogan while talking ????

Didn't think so.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember the first AA meeting in rehab I went to. On the wall was a small poster saying "think, think, think", and the speaker was saying 'don't think, don't drink, and get to a meeting. But, since I was in rehab. And not jail, I didn't care.

I to though all these slogans I heard early in AA were not only stupid, but pointless. It wasn't long before they impaled themselves into the crevasses of my brain and began to understand that all these slogans were simple tools to combat that thought of a drink that popped up into my head several thousand times of day early on. They worked too. I still use them today several decades later.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I've been told to put the word "don't" in front of those "think"s...lol.

Get me out of my head
Old 12-20-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Talking

With the gift of sobriety, my brain had dried out a bit. And I've actually come to have my own understanding and use of the three "thinks". I can't think my way into sober acting. I have to act my way into sober thinking.
Indeed our "thinking" does improve (for most of us) one thing for sure (for me at least) is i had sure BETTER have some Beliefs about some things. that fake it till you make it **** is for the Super Newbies
Old 12-20-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post. With my little bit of 50 days cobbeld together, including lots of AA meetings & readings, am realizing now that my drinking obsession have been removed (a miracle indeed), that what I really have now to tackle is a THINKING problem !!! God Bless and Merry Christmas ! MJM
Old 12-20-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Binge thinking can also lead to binge drinking. I take the slogan to remind me to be mindful of my thoughts and actions. It's lack of mindfulness that usually leads me astray and into problems of my own making.
Right motivation, right thought, right words, right conduct is a product of awareness.
I rarely planned to get drunk, it sort of just happened impulsively. I was a very impulsive person driven by minute to minute mindless gratification Much more disciplined in my reactivity and choices now due to mindfulness.
Step 10 and 11 is the steps I use here.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Think, Think, Think - AA FAQ
Old 12-21-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's awesome. Maybe we can find a good slogan over at RR, and trade them this one for one of theirs. This seems more fitting for them, than for us .

Never liked it, and now I'm happy to know why. If I remember correctly I actually voted to keep that one out of my home group when the group just started, but was out voted.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
Never liked it, and now I'm happy to know why.
The antidote for "Think. Think. Think." is:

"Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help. "
(page 84)
Old 12-21-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
As alcoholics, we are impulsive folks. Rash decisions lead many of us to the cusp of death.

Think, think, think - simply means this: If you now have a thought don't react initially to it - Think!

When it comes around again, do the same - don't react - Think!

If and when it comes around again, and it still seems like something we should do or say to another - Think one last time before it's done!

The point is to think things through thoroughly before our compulsive nature manifests in words or action something we will regret.

This is my understanding of the phrase, but like many AA slogans there are probably multiple meanings

I have seen another sign that read THINMK!

FlyN
This makes a lot of sense to me. Pause or think before reacting seems a good idea when living sober, having recovered.

It is less useful, even misleading, if it is suggested as a defence against the first drink for the newcomer. To suggest we could think our way out of the fatal first drink shows a misunderstanding of what AA means by powerless. When the obsession is back, no amount of thinking will overcome it, in fact we'll be lucky if we think at all.