Notices

How do you deal with Communion and wine?

Old 10-25-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you deal with Communion and wine?

If you're in a church that does Communion, and they don't use grape juice, they use wine. As a recovering alcoholic, how do you handle it?
Old 10-25-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Talk to the Priest/minister. there may be a "work around". I am Orthodox and i commune regularly. The wine is cut with water and the serving size is the size of a baby spoon.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kudzujean View Post
If you're in a church that does Communion, and they don't use grape juice, they use wine. As a recovering alcoholic, how do you handle it?
You do not need to accept it, and that decision will be respected. No questions asked.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I simply say quietly, "Thank you, no,"

I have a friend in AA who years ago when I was getting baptized and confirmed (I did this as an adult my parents didn't do it for us as kids) this friend of mine came to support me and I saw him drink out of the chalice. I couldn't believe it. I was a year sober at the time, he was 21 yrs sober

I asked him about it and he said it was something between him & God
Old 10-25-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I just don't take the wine. I know a Priest that uses blessed grape juice
Old 10-26-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Now I remember where my drinking career really started. As a 7 year old altar boy sneaking communion wine in the sacristy. Totally forgot about that.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

im a daily communicant and I justed said no thanks at first and after that it wasn't offered as they seem to have gathered I wont want it.they understand.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I didn't know that they use real wine so when I went up there I could smell it I just tipped the glass and acted like I took a sip never been to a catholic church since I was a kid.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johno1967 View Post
Now I remember where my drinking career really started. As a 7 year old altar boy sneaking communion wine in the sacristy. Totally forgot about that.
Yes, I did the same thing when I was an alter boy. Didn't get drunk though, as we were usually only able to sneak a sip or two of the wine.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Matthew 26:29, Mark 14:25, and Luke 22:18 tell us the contents of the cup. Fruit of the vine isn't fermented.

Logic says the Lord wouldnt use something that represents sin and corruption to be a symbol of His blood

I don't see how it would be acceptable to the Lord to only take the bread and not the fruit of the vine and 1Corinthians 11:26-29 tells me something to that point.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
skg

Communion

Take the bread, then cross your arms across your chest and the chalice will pass you by. No need to explain. God already knows...
Old 10-29-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I asked this same question. When I was young in the program, I remember a guy with 10 in AA, stating at a meeting that he'd joined a church as was going to be a deacon. As a deacon he was required to take the wine. When he was warned, he said he'd been sober long enough to be able to handle it. He died drunk. At about 3 years sober, I went to Christmas Eve mass with my sponsor at a catholic church. I took communion and was shocked when I realized I'd drunk some wine. My sponsor simply said, "just remember where you are and why you're here". Fast forward to 2007 when I was confirmed catholic. I learned in RCIA class that if I take the host, I'm getting the body and blood of Christ so it's not necessary to take the cup. So, now I take the cup on Easter and Christmas; the rest of the year I bow to the cup as I pass. I'm also a Eucharistic Minister so I give communion as well.

The reason I don't take the cup except on those two occasions is because I know my mind. I believe at some point I'd start looking forward to mass because of the cup, and not because of the Eucharist liturgy.