Notices

The Serenity Prayer

Old 09-17-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Serenity Prayer

I was watching Fox News last night and they were promoting a book about living the serenity prayer.

One of the anchors said he uses the serenity prayer all the time in AA.

I was impressed that someone in a high profile job was casually open about being in AA on an international show.

Is it something that people in the states really accept without to much fuss when they hear of a colleague being in AA? Are people more open about it?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Tradition 11 clearly states:

"We need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films."

I would think especially someone in the media business would need to be careful about preserving anonymity, so it sounds unprofessional to me.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I thought that as well but his exact words were "we use the serenity prayer all the time in AA" so he could have been referring to the whole or himself. It may have also put people off the book. He was not promoting AA but making a comment about the prayer. Still it was interesting to see. I'm glad people are proud to be associated with AA and don't mind saying so. Later in the show there was some controversy about someone famous in Florida appearing at a media thing with a T-shirt saying "Jesus saves". America fascinates me! 😄
Old 09-17-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

...anonymous at the level of press, radio, TV and films.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would say the anchor clearly implied he was an AA member. Publicly. Not good if he is.
OTOH, maybe "we...in AA" means he, a non-alkie, goes to open meetings in support of someone else. Could be. Not likely.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Irrespective of whether someone has broken with tradition,
I needed to hear his message about our adopted prayer.
I said that prayer it this morning for the first time, on my own, in a long time.
Now, two minutes later, I hear that the mention of it in connection with AA on the news media has sparked controversy.
Perhaps this man should not have compromised his anonymity . . .
But, I am grateful that he did.
Thanks, Johno, for passing it on.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johno1967 View Post
Is it something that people in the states really accept without to much fuss when they hear of a colleague being in AA? Are people more open about it?
It's been my experience that people here in the US are accepting of people in AA and in recovery in general.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

... living the serenity prayer.
The Serenity prayer is actually a pretty good road map for practicing the principle of Spiritual detachment;

Recognizing that I only play a small part - serenity to accept the things I can not change.

Doing my part - courage to change the things I can.

Detaching form the outcome - wisdom to know the difference.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I was watching Fox News last night and they were promoting a book about living the serenity prayer.

I was impressed that someone in a high profile job was casually open about being in AA on an international show.

First, yes - it seems that people are accepting to those who struggle here in the states - I guess. WE are pretty open about our issues, but people are people anywhere I would imagine. Some are open = no shame, other are not.
I really have no idea how there is a cultural difference in other places, but take what you posted at face value.

As a member of AA I was intrigued about the Fox New deal - I found it on the internet - here's a link.

So, this is Don Imus - a highly controversial guy who likes to stir everything up typically. I never listen or watch him personally - and really don't get my news from any of the national agenda based organizations.....

He talks about his addiction openly on the clip. Interesting points of view expressed here on traditions. Frankly, I am not sure if this is a violation or not?? He is really telling his story, as many do on youtube videos. But, he is on a Fox broadcast....hmmmm....

Father Jonathan Morris on the power of Serenity Prayer | On Air Videos | Fox Business
Old 09-18-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Was it Gregg Jarrett? I think he was arrested for public intoxication once. Maybe that was his way of telling the public that he's in recovery. Sometimes people in the media do that.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulupalooza View Post
Maybe that was his way of telling the public that he's in recovery. Sometimes people in the media do that.
At the behest of their agent or PR people.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The comment was made on "The Five". I find it interesting that there seems to be more concern for someone making a comment like "the serenity prayer is used all the time in AA" than they are about Ellen referring to her buddy as her "wife" and watching two men kissing in a locker room. Personally, it's my choice and my bad if I choose to say something about my involvement in AA at any level.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Bumping this thread, I am curious about what long term AA'ers think about this.

The host of the show was Don Imus. Here's a link to the interview....

Father Jonathan Morris on the power of Serenity Prayer | On Air Videos | Fox Business
Old 09-18-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

I enjoyed the discussion about the prayer and the nature of god, hp or whatever. I will probably buy the book.

I'm uncomfortable with people, famous or otherwise, braking their anonymity on TV. I was raised on the traditions. You can't get more press, radio and film than TV. But here's the thing - I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, it goes completely against the 11th Tradition, but I don't know if there's any harm being done.

Oh well, a little cognitive dissonance is a good thing every now and then. Nothing wrong with questioning my deeply held beliefs.

-allan
Old 09-18-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Bumping this thread, I am curious about what long term AA'ers think about this.
Thoughts:
Definitely breaking the 11th tradition.
Not my side of the street.
Carrying on.

Ultimately, the issue is, if the fellow goes out and gets rip roaring drunk - it will be newsworthy. He's a news personality and has indicated he's a member of AA. If he slips, he is sending the message that AA doesn't work.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I believe in keeping with the Spiritual principals of The Twelve Traditions. Period.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've always taken that tradition to mean respecting other people's anonymity.

Concerning me, If I have cancer or diabetes it doesn't need to be a big secret, so why should I hide my history of addiction from anyone? I have zero shame in being a recovering alcoholic - in fact my life has been enhanced incredibly through the process of recovery and I gratefully share when I can! Without the addiction I may never have found God again... Plus, one of the best ways I can help a struggling alcoholic is to share "what it was like." If we're both pretending like we don't have a problem, then how can either of us share what we need to share for healing to begin?

But for me one thing is clear - it is NOT okay to break another person's anonymity... ever! My decision to disclose is mine, carefully considered and not applicable to anyone else. Apparently for the news anchor, he considered it and broke his own anonymity. It doesn't reflect poorly on him in my opinion. It's just a guy saying "I'm in recovery for addiction."
Old 09-19-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

4 years back famed Movie critic Roger Ebert posted on his blog he just celebrated 30 years of sobriety. Imus has over 27 years of sobriety.
Truthfully, there have been many celebrities over the years gave credit to their sobriety.
The Charlie Sheens and Lindsey Lohans would be one reason to keep this program anonymous .

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-47_...ganonymity.pdf
Old 09-19-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I guess my comment around tolerance and prejudice was made more along the lines that at least where I live in Australia there is little to no public knowledge of AA although there are a large number of groups. I can't speak for the east coast. Unless I'd looked it up I would never have known it exists here. Most people I've spoken to have a perception of AA straight out of the movies. I find a lot of bias and misunderstanding about alcoholism here in my experience. Many people here take the view that if you can't take your drink there is something wrong with you, that you lack fibre and can't be trusted. People are less willing to be open. It's good to see there is a more open culture around addiction issues in the US. At the moment my daughter is doing a school project on alcoholism and you'd think that I'd be able to help. However I've been warned off as to not "cloud" the issue. What do I know about it anyway? No one here believes I'm an alkie but me
Old 09-19-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post

So, this is Don Imus - a highly controversial guy who likes to stir everything up typically. I never listen or watch him personally - and really don't get my news from any of the national agenda based organizations.....

He talks about his addiction openly on the clip. Interesting points of view expressed here on traditions. Frankly, I am not sure if this is a violation or not?? He is really telling his story, as many do on youtube videos. But, he is on a Fox broadcast....hmmmm....

Yeah I watch Fox News while taking my boots off at work and while getting ready to go to the Gym. Its sort of like entertainment but some of the anchors are easy on the eye. I don't take a lot of it seriously but the segment caught my attention when the book was mentioned. Serious news reports get me riled up so I avoid it. Fox and Friends and the Five news commentary is a little like comedy channel.