Notices

(if)

Old 08-30-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

(if)

A.A.'s Twelve steps are a group of principles, spiritual in their nature, which, (if) practiced as a way of life,can expel the obsession to drink and enable the sufferer to become happily and usefully hole. Foreword 12and12--- That's a promise I want in my life the only way to get it is be willing to go to any lengths but I'm contempt on doing it again I'm beyond human aid. What if I trade self centered for others centered what if I trade my will for GOD's Will can I really be happy and usefully hole I want to be hole. It's work for hundred of thousands it should work for me if I have an honest desire.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I wasn`t too sure it would work for me at one time but i was going to try.
Being willing to go to any lenghts was a key factor for me
Old 08-31-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are over 100 musts in the Big Book!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

"We needed to ask ourselves but one short question. "Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?" As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way. It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built."

Sounds like you are at step 2. If yes is your answer to this question, move on to step 3.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Pray, dsmaxis10. Pray.

Originally Posted by dsmaxis10 View Post
what if I trade my will for GOD's Will can I really be happy and usefully hole I want to be hole. It's work for hundred of thousands it should work for me if I have an honest desire.
Your post has helped me to go back to basics and think.
When I first started on my road to recovery I was able, thankfully, to put my critical thinking on hold.
I don't know how I was afforded such grace.
But I simply did as my sponsor and others told me without too much questioning on my part.
What I am about to say, from my point of view, may be seen as nit picking. I am not trying to criticise.

I don't think that we can trade our will for God's will.
That wouldn't be a fair swap as far as He was concerned.
I believe God gave us free will and He will not take it back; even in trade.
Step 11 tells us about God and our relationship with His will for us.
Step 11 also tells us, in no uncertain terms, to pray.

. . . if we have an honest desire . . .
The forward to the First Edition of Alcoholics Anonymous tells us that an honest desire to stop drinking is the only requirement for membership.
Just as membership alone will not stop us from drinking, desire alone -- even an honest desire -- will not be enough for us to achieve sobriety.
We need to be willing to work for it.

Chapter 5 tells us what we must do and the order in which we must do it.

So, like the Nike slogan: Just do it.

Yes, dsmaxis10, it should work for you . . .

if you are honestly willing to work for it.

I don't know if you have tried paying or if you are ready to pray . . .
We know that you have an honest desire for sobriety and happiness and wholeness.
If you can, please pray with gratitude for your desire to lead to more willingness and further action.

I don't know you, or exactly where you are in your journey, so please forgive me if I am repeating things that you already know.
Writing this, with you in mind, reminds me of principles that I don't want to forget.
Thank you for your thoughtful post.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Worked for me and 7 years of near fatal relapses proved I was one stubborn son of a bitch. I finally sought and found my Gift Of Desperation.