Notices

Emotional sobriety

Old 07-29-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patriciae View Post
Bill W. was never perfect, he never said he was....ever. Bill Wilson was a human being just like the rest of us and he would have laughed his head off to think that some today try to put him on a pedestal.
Laughed? I'm not sure about that. He might just have easily basked in the glory of it all.

But I agree many in AA put him up on a pedestal when he was a man with character flaws like everyone else.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post

Isn't it similar to the concept of Equanimity?

equanimity

EQUANIM'ITY, n. [L. oequanimitas; oequus and animus, an equal mind.] Evenness of mind; that calm temper or firmness of mind which is not easily elated or depressed, which sustains prosperity without excessive joy, and adversity without violent agitation of the passions or depression of spirits. The great man bears misfortunes with equanimity.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
EQUANIM'ITY, n. [L. oequanimitas; oequus and animus, an equal mind.] Evenness of mind; that calm temper or firmness of mind which is not easily elated or depressed, which sustains prosperity without excessive joy, and adversity without violent agitation of the passions or depression of spirits. The great man bears misfortunes with equanimity.
"Nowadays my brain no longer races compulsively in either elation, grandiosity or depression. I have been given a quiet place in bright sunshine."

(Bill W. - Emotional Sobriety)
Old 07-29-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Grateful

For me emotional sobriety is the ability to be comfortable in my own skin regardless of my external circumstances. I was never able to do that in my life (sober or drunk) until I connected with my HP through the steps.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My soul was a black hole. It consumed everything I thought would make me happy. It consumed drugs, alcohol, sex, relationships, cars, boats, toys. Enough was never enough and no matter what I put in this hole it was never filled in.

Emotional sobreity? Filling this hole with my Higher Power. My Higher Power has been the only thing that seems to satisfy this hole. With this hole complete, I can now enjoy the finer moments of my life, like watching my kids smile in the pool. A rainbow last night after my sponsee told me he feels hope again. This is my emotional sobriety!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

How quickly can I bounce back from the emotional extremes... how quickly can I find the baseline. That seems to be a good way to measure, for me anyway.