Notices

Twenty-Four Hours A Day

Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Twenty-Four Hours A Day

*~*~*~*^TwentyFourHoursADay^*~*~*~*

A.A. Thought for the Day

To the extent that I fail in my responsibilities, A.A. fails. To the extent that I succeed, A.A. succeeds. Every failure of mine will set back A.A. work to that extent. Every success of mine will put A.A. ahead to that extent. I shall not wait to be drafted for service to others, but I shall volunteer. I shall accept every opportunity to work for A.A. as a challenge, and I shall do my best to accept every challenge and perform my task as best I can. Will I accept every challenge gladly?

Meditation for the Day

People are failures in the deepest sense when they seek to live without God's sustaining power. Many people try to be self-sufficient and seek selfish pleasure and find that it does not work too well. No matter how much material wealth they acquire, no matter how much fame and material power, the time of disillusionment and futility usually comes. Death is ahead, and they cannot take any material thing with them when they go. What does it matter if I have gained the whole world, but lost my own soul?

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I will not come empty to the end of my life. I pray that I may so live that I will not be afraid to die.

(Twenty-Four Hours A Day) Hazelden Foundation 2012
Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm starting to see where AA members (I am one) dislike the Hazelden readings compared to AA approved literature. This kind of thinking doesn't really make sense to me in the light of failures and successes of my actions when my goal is simply to be of service and think less of myself. If I am setting goals in AA I am setting myself to fail, which is to drink and die.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I personally cant dislike the reading because out of 365 days a year, I get to much out of 99% of them..

So with that I take what I like and need , and maybe just leave the rest..
Old 12-30-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I talk to the AA oldtimers a lot in our area. There are many that I admire and they often are on different courses/wavelengths from one-another.

They do not have "the answer" as my answer is within me but they help me find it. God works through people.

You show me anybody with years of quality sobriety and I will listen to their story. I will take the lessons they learned and apply them to my program. I would be a fool not to.

The more I hang around AA the more I am assimilated into it. Thank God !!

A lot of AA literature is AA literature .... and a lot of Hazeleden literature is Hazelden literature ... because of money/rights.
Is that a perfect situation? Maybe not but it's the best we human mortals can come up with in our imperfection.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Cool I love all these Readings.

Originally Posted by todd6138 View Post
I'm starting to see where AA members (I am one) dislike the Hazelden readings compared to AA approved literature. This kind of thinking doesn't really make sense to me in the light of failures and successes of my actions when my goal is simply to be of service and think less of myself. If I am setting goals in AA I am setting myself to fail, which is to drink and die.

Sorry you don't like reading this but I take great pride in my service work posting these readings everyday. They have helped me in my sobriety in more ways than I could ever begin to explain.
One of the things I love about AA is if I don't like something I don't have to participate in it. Like someone said take what you like and leave the rest.
Have a great day

Last edited by newby1961; 12-30-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Re-word
Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

And its much appreciated by us here newby... :ghug3
Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And it's not so much "do I like it" as "do I need it".

What I liked got me here. What I need will get me out.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post

Bob R
NO DOUBT....

Hey Bob, Have a great new year...!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Good point Bob thanks for that clarification.
Happy New Year
Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Thought - What I got out of this was I shouldn't sit around and wait. I should be active in my program and actively trying to do God's work with whatever situation I am placed in.

Meditation - The only thing I can take with me from this life to the next is my soul. This world is full of things that distract me from that. Material wealth is one of them. I need to remember that only spiritual wealth can be brought with me when I pass. My relationship with God can be the richest in the world, even at the lowest point of economic stability in my life.

Prayer - That's pretty powerful. Talking about not being afraid to die. I was afraid for a long time. Still am, to an extent, but it's getting better. It comes from feeling unfulfilled with life. My concentration was of this life, not being in Heaven with God. I need to remember that this life is only but a blink of existence in the universe, and that when I or someone DOES pass, they are with God. That is the ULTIMATE goal. I can't think of anything as glorious as that.

Wow, that got uber Christian really quickly, LOL!

God bless and have a great day, everyone!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

"""I pray that I will not come empty to the end of my life. I pray that I may so live that I will not be afraid to die."""

When you figure out how to not be scared of death and in turn to realize it is an opening to eternal life IMO that is when you can start living free and really open your heart to God's will.

Thought - You can not work this program without the volunteer side. I secretary a meeting and was scared to death to do so. But I am willing to throw my heart into AA. I want to volunteer in any way possible. I want to help others suffering and make this my way of life. I am happier than I have been in years with doing this It works if ya work it.

'''What does it matter if I have gained the whole world, but lost my own soul? """

I do not want to miss God's voice and the work he wants me to do here with human kind. I can't imagine being on my death bed deciding what to do with all the assets my life acquired then realizing I have worked my life away for the man..with only this to show . THe only work I want to do is what God calls me to do

Thanks Newb! Good stuff!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post

What I liked got me here. What I need will get me out.

All the best.

Bob R
That brought tears to my eyes. SO TRUE FOR ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!! So glad I dont have to live that way anymore!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Newb - Side note here.....it is always GREAT to see these wherever they may be from. Part of my recovery toolbox would lack if you ever stopped. I love these readings and they help me SOOOOOOOO much!!!!!!

Take what ya want and leave the rest Keep it simple!!!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

newby1961, your efforts are a blessing here. Much appreciated !

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i love the readings posted here,newby.

its important for us all to rememebr that the 24 hrs/day and even the comments after the main theme of the reflection in the daily reflection are personal experience and belief.

that being said, i cant say it is a failure of AA when i fall short. AA has taught me to take responsibility/accountability for my actions. if others feel my shortcoming/defects coming out is a failure of AA, then i am sorry to hear that. i am the problem and the program of AA is the solution.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i love the readings posted here,newby.

its important for us all to rememebr that the 24 hrs/day and even the comments after the main theme of the reflection in the daily reflection are personal experience and belief.

that being said, i cant say it is a failure of AA when i fall short. AA has taught me to take responsibility/accountability for my actions. if others feel my shortcoming/defects coming out is a failure of AA, then i am sorry to hear that. i am the problem and the program of AA is the solution.
No, it is not AAs fault or issue. They are my generally human character defects.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I only meant Hazelden literature is not as accepted in AA as the Daily Reflections..
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Actually, the longtime member told me that this book was the first piece of literature beyond the BB, and it was so needed at the time.....they gobbled it up.

The longtimers in my area defend this book. Me? I'm pretty spoiled. Tons of great recovery daily readers, so this one often leaves me scratching my head. The tone is just sort of odd.

But I certainly can understand that if I had nothing else? This would have been a Godsend.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I own this piece of literature myself and read it everyday. I was simply reading some posts on this topic and maybe thinking out loud to myself rather than making myself clear what I meant about this book. Some people don't like it because it has Christian overtones. Some AA purists claim it is not AA approved literaturea nd doesn't belong.. still others tell me there are many avenues to recovery and use whatever works. I am not knowledgable on any of this. Simply on a journey
Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Smile No biggie

Originally Posted by todd6138 View Post
I own this piece of literature myself and read it everyday. I was simply reading some posts on this topic and maybe thinking out loud to myself rather than making myself clear what I meant about this book. Some people don't like it because it has Christian overtones. Some AA purists claim it is not AA approved literaturea nd doesn't belong.. still others tell me there are many avenues to recovery and use whatever works. I am not knowledgable on any of this. Simply on a journey
That is the cool thing about AA we all have a right to feel any way we like. And like you said we are simply on a journey.