Notices

Grateful alcoholic??

Old 10-07-2010, 08:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Athough I am grateful for a lot of things today, when I do speak I just say, My name is Harry and I am an alcoholic.

Grateful, yes plenty. Grateful to have God in my life today, that God got me to A.A., that I'm alive, the person I am, the way I live my life and that I am no longer mentally, physically and spiritually sick. Grateful that my alcoholism is in remission.

All because of God and the 12 Steps is this even possible.

Harry

Last edited by Harry01854; 10-07-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: repeat
Old 10-07-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Consider this. 97 out of 100 alcoholics are going to die not even knowing they're alcoholics. The other 3% will stumble into AA. About half of those 3% will recover from alcoholism. So you're looking at 1, maybe 2% of all alcoholics who will recover from alcoholism.

We've got be be the luckiest people in the world if we're fortunate enough to be in that 1-2% that recover from this illness. For that I'm a grateful alcoholic.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic. I am grateful. I have LEARNED to be grateful for so many things. And because of the new way I live, think, feel, and act, I genuinely FEEL grateful much of the time.

Therefore, I am a grateful alcoholic.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shaun00 View Post
Its straight forward to me....

I had a hole in me that the wind blew straight through......never happy and feeling like a square peg in a round hole....

One day along came booze and lite up all the light bulbs in my head......at last i finally feel i fit.....the perfect solution to an unexplainable feeling at odds with the world......

so booze wasnt the problem.....i was the problem.......booze was a solution..if you get me.

So take the booze away and i return to that unexplainable...feeling at odds all the time.

along comes an old guy and a book.......talks of a solution to fill that hole......and this one is a permanent one.....with only good consequences.
so the hole gets filled and i recover.

i finally fit without having to round the edges of the world off.

grateful alcoholic....ooohhhh yeah....because it led me to a solution that filled the hole instead of booze.....a loving god.

just me i guess........but its why im grateful......it just so happens im an alcoholic.
What a fantastic post. Thank you. (I'm printing this out.)
Old 10-09-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

firestorm
I never cared much for that grateful to be a alcoholic phrase
I am not grateful to be a alcoholic,but I am grateful to be an alcoholic in AA
I am grateful for AA
Old 10-11-2010, 12:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm grateful to be an alcoholic because it brought me to AA. If alcoholism is part of an underlying condition- then without alcoholism I might not have sought out AA and thus, been granted this amazing new life and freedom.

I wouldn't have this relationship with my HP, with my fellows, wouldn't have this great of a marriage even. So, yep, I'm grateful God made me an alki.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

lol awesome question Dallas.... thanks for asking it, for my first year and half sober in AA I went ballistic when someone would say they are grateful to be an alcoholic, I am still baffled by it but I don't get so mad anymore:-)

After a couple years sober I started waking up in the morning with gratitude in my heart, mostly of the nature of being shocked God gave a drunk like me the life I have, cannot really explain it, it was not something I couldn't manufacture, I never understood gratitude lists and things like that, but to each his own.

I am definetly grateful for AA, mostly because it lets me identify, and dudes like you ask questions that are on my mind.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Gratitude is a key word as well as an important action when it comes to getting sober and staying sober. If I hadn't experienced my alcoholism at it's worst, I would never have had the incentive to change my life to what it is today. One of the promises says that I'll not regret the past, nor wish to shut the door on it. Herein is the secret to staying sober. I have to take the action needed to share my past with others. No way could I, or would I share my past with others if I still carried the shame, guilt or embarrassment connected with my past. This is why the steps are so important and why the promises are where they are in the Big Book. An attitude or gratitude is essential in my program of recovery.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I am so grateful to be an alcoholic - had i not been alcoholic I would never have found the AA program which has led me to God and given me a design for living that really works. I am happy and sober and free. What a deal!
Cathy31x
Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I personally know one old timer 23 years who would not talk to you again if you said that you were a grateful alcoholic and another of 24 years who would just smile and nod knowingly....Guess why?

Clue one has done something and got something that the other hasn't done or got...it's in the BB...
Old 10-11-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yes, I am grateful because I would not be here, had I not been there.