Notices

Let's talk about the Grapevine

Old 05-26-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let's talk about the Grapevine

How do you use it, in personal recovery or in 12th step work.

What do you like/dislike about it?

What direction would you like it to take in the future?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Never seen it. Is it US only?
Old 05-26-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I use it in personal recovery, but I leave old issues at the club in case someone can make use of them.

In terms of US only, I just looked at my latest copy and there were rates for 1 and 2 year subscriptions, with additional rates for outside the US and Canada, so it is available. Check out aagrapevine.org and I am sure you can order it. It is also available in Spanish.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read an article every morning. There seems to be enough to last the entire month until the next issue arrives.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First off, no discussion about Grapevine is complete without acknowledging the fact that this journal has been in the red for ages. It's not even close to being self-supporting. I can't recall the exact figures off the top of my head, but it's like a hundred thousand or more, right?

So, does the Grapevine compensate for its debt by being an extremely informative and invaluable tool in recovery?

For me, personally, the answer is no.

They made it glossy and colored to increase sales, but it didn't work. Having some limited experience in editing small publications, I can tell you that readers care very little about what a publication looks like if the focus is content. Grapevine is limited in its ability to draw readers visually because its an anonymous program, therefore we can't attract people with the finesse of advertising or the allure of personalities. We have to focus on content and the content is lacking, IMO. It's entirely too sterile and safe.

I think the Grapevine started out as Bill W's medium for communicating to the AA community. Back then a little newsletter made perfect sense. He used the Grapevine to delve into subjects concerning AA and recovery, to build a sense of community within the fellowship, and many times the topics he explored were controversial, innovative, and directly shaping the future of AA. The Traditions were born in the Grapevine. Bill W openly discussed money problems and book price increases. These days, the Grapevine is mostly personal stories and all of AA's major issues are delegated to the GSC. Meanwhile, members who are not apart of a service structure beyond their homegroup are for the most part completely in the dark about what agenda items are being discussed and why. I think the Grapevine could be an invaluable tool in increasing awareness of the changing (albeit blurry) face of AA.

I think the Grapevine ought to take agenda items and write about them. Show both sides of the topic, possibly have opposing viewpoints, and include relevant background info. One agenda item this year concerned raising awareness about the importance of groups contributing to the GSO. Why not promote that awareness through the Grapevine? It would also encourage more people to get involved in service, as they could learn about the structure through articles instead of having to attend an assembly, which can be daunting, intimidating, and boring if one is not familiar with AA's structure.

I will say that I appreciate the archives on the Grapevine website and they are well worth the subscription. One can plug in a search word and find all the articles that include that term or phrase, and it's very convenient.

My 2 pennies.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I like the grapevine
I have quite a few here and my group donates old ones to prisons,Dr`s office waiting rooms,etc
I also like the digital , online grapevine.
I am currently reading a grapevine book called "the voices of long term sobriety"
it is composed of articles from old timers..and it has some good articles