Notices

Atlantic Monthly Article on AA

Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Atlantic Monthly Article on AA

The Alcoholic Stockbroker and the Forgotten Alcoholic Doctor -

Nice article, I thought. Hope you enjoy!
Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Enjoyed reading that. Thanks.

Dr Bob was an interesting character and as stated quite different to Bill. Apparently, recovery rates in Aakron and Cleveland with Bob and Clarence were much better than in New york where Bill was working. Maybe Bill, with his salesmans instincts, spent more time trying to talk people into sobriety, where as Bob was very direct, take it or leave it, concentrating on people who wanted the solution rather tha trying to convince them they needed it. Just thoughts, no specific data for this.

Reading the comments the usual AA knockers appeared and, while I don't like their approach and can find no evidence to support their claims about recovery rates etc, nevertheless they often have valid crtitcisms about the way parts of the fellowship (or individual groups and members) behave and the messages they give.

The problem is these messages are not part of the AA program. They come from therapy and a patriachal or matriachal type of sponsorship aimed at control. They intrude into areas of peoples lives where we have no business, they promote codependence and fear, instead of independence and faith.

When people have these expereinces, they are right to criticise.

Thankfully, there is something of a revolution going on around AA. There are more and more groups studying the literature and getting to know and practice the real AA program, as it was originally intended. As a result, our fellowship is becoming a happier and more effective place. More people seem to be getting well, our numbers seem to be growing again.

I believe AA members have heard the criticism, taken inventory, and have seen what corrective measures need to be taken.

We could do a lot worse than follow Dr Bob's example.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Enjoyed reading that. Thanks.

Dr Bob was an interesting character and as stated quite different to Bill. Apparently, recovery rates in Aakron and Cleveland with Bob and Clarence were much better than in New york where Bill was working. Maybe Bill, with his salesmans instincts, spent more time trying to talk people into sobriety, where as Bob was very direct, take it or leave it, concentrating on people who wanted the solution rather tha trying to convince them they needed it. Just thoughts, no specific data for this.

Reading the comments the usual AA knockers appeared and, while I don't like their approach and can find no evidence to support their claims about recovery rates etc, nevertheless they often have valid crtitcisms about the way parts of the fellowship (or individual groups and members) behave and the messages they give.

The problem is these messages are not part of the AA program. They come from therapy and a patriachal or matriachal type of sponsorship aimed at control. They intrude into areas of peoples lives where we have no business, they promote codependence and fear, instead of independence and faith.

When people have these expereinces, they are right to criticise.

Thankfully, there is something of a revolution going on around AA. There are more and more groups studying the literature and getting to know and practice the real AA program, as it was originally intended. As a result, our fellowship is becoming a happier and more effective place. More people seem to be getting well, our numbers seem to be growing again.

I believe AA members have heard the criticism, taken inventory, and have seen what corrective measures need to be taken.

We could do a lot worse than follow Dr Bob's example.
I havent read that article, as I do not click on links, cuz who knows where it links too.

But I agree with what you said.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, that link is fine. It's to the Atlantic Monthly. Just an article I thought some might enjoy. What I particularly liked was the discussion about the importance of the fellowship.