Notices

inventory worksheets

Old 10-05-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

inventory worksheets

I thought some people might find this useful. The 4th step worksheets can be downloaded here Step 4 Inventory 4th Step Work sheets Guide Forms of AA's 12 Steps in Alcoholics Anonymous, Rehab, AA, addiction treatment, addiction recovery, AA
Old 10-05-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I've used those with sponsees, stone, especially when they approach a 4th step like they'd approach, oh.... say... writing War & Peace. There are some misspellings, but I think they're great for just getting it down. Purists might think it makes it easier than it's supposed to be, but I'd rather see easier than have someone run because "it's too hard."

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 10-05-2008, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think the sheets are purist Sugah, they do follow the instructions in the BB don't they? Although they do add to it a little, eg they add 'inconsiderate' to the 'where we were to blame' list.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found the Big Book was all the guide I needed. These other things tend to over-analyze ( my opinion)
Old 10-05-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Steve, that's when/why I use them with some sponsees. The sheets, like stone says, follow the instructions in the Big Book & keep those who might try to complicate (and over analyze) the step from doing so. Not that I have any reason to promote their use...just saying they've been useful for those I've worked with.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by navysteve View Post
I found the Big Book was all the guide I needed. These other things tend to over-analyze ( my opinion)
These follow what the BB says, they just lay it out in columns for you. Did you even download and look at the sheet?

Not that I have any reason to promote them either! LOL

This is all they consist of.... the instructions I already posted are at the top of the sheet.

Last edited by stone; 10-05-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have no problem with the sheets - whatever helps.

But - there are things that are missing. On page 66 to 67 there are important passages.

"We turned back to the list, for it held the key to the future. We were prepared to look at it from an entirely different angle." - http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_bigbook_chapt5.pdf

Anyhow - I think this portion is critical to doing a fourth column...because without complete compassion for those on our list, it's not possible to put their wrongs aside and look at what we did - not the part we played...there is no more 'my part/their part' - there is ONLY my part. There is a great prayer for approaching the fourth column on the top of page 67...in part "God save me from being angry"...I guess this also helps in the growth of ones God concept. If the AA group is your HP - how are they going to keep you from being angry?

I think the sheets are ok - kind of lays it out, but I would not suggest just handing those to someone and say "fill this out for your fourth step"...
Old 10-06-2008, 12:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
I've used those with sponsees, stone, especially when they approach a 4th step like they'd approach, oh.... say... writing War & Peace. There are some misspellings, but I think they're great for just getting it down. Purists might think it makes it easier than it's supposed to be, but I'd rather see easier than have someone run because "it's too hard."

Peace & Love,
Sugah
I agree wholeheartedly!!! Step 4 can be so daunting, when I re-do my step 4 I m going to use these!

Thanks Stone!

Cathy31
x
Old 10-06-2008, 12:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
I have no problem with the sheets - whatever helps.

But - there are things that are missing. On page 66 to 67 there are important passages.

"We turned back to the list, for it held the key to the future. We were prepared to look at it from an entirely different angle." - http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_bigbook_chapt5.pdf

Anyhow - I think this portion is critical to doing a fourth column...because without complete compassion for those on our list, it's not possible to put their wrongs aside and look at what we did - not the part we played...there is no more 'my part/their part' - there is ONLY my part. There is a great prayer for approaching the fourth column on the top of page 67...in part "God save me from being angry"...I guess this also helps in the growth of ones God concept. If the AA group is your HP - how are they going to keep you from being angry?

I think the sheets are ok - kind of lays it out, but I would not suggest just handing those to someone and say "fill this out for your fourth step"...
Agreed - the MY part is critical to step 4 it's what set me free. Not as you say Adam, my part and their part - just MY part - just like in step 8 and 9 - my part not what YOU did to make me act like that...which was my instinctive way to approach steps 8 & 9 - help 'educate' 'them' as to why I acted in the way I did (erm self justification)

My sponsor suggested writing 2 letters - one where I self justify to the nth degree, as much as I like, and one where I just take responsibility for MY PART - and if it's an amend we agree will be done by letter, that's the one that gets sent.

Cathy31
x
Old 10-06-2008, 01:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
Of course not, they are just an aid.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks Stone, I am always looking for different 4th step work sheets, I have some others if folks are interested along the same lines.

The main thing I like about this style of worksheet is it tends to eleminate Novels being written! LOL
Old 10-06-2008, 04:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Woah now!!!! Don't get offended. I was just saying that the Big Book was all the guide I ever needed. Yes I looked at them . I did not bash them.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was only joking Steve, that's why I used the smiley.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cool,
Cause whatever gets them thru the 4th and 5th is ok with me. As long as it gets to the root causes. I just like the Big Book because it gets me in the habit of looking there for the answers.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Those sheets are fairly close to how I wrote my 4th. Did the fear inventory a little differently and was not instructed to do a harms inventory. On my second third step now, will see what comes down the pike for the 4th!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
(ephemeral)

Hi, I'm new to the site - and I'm glad I found it.

I've been sober for almost five years (I can't wait for Halloween!! W00t!!) and this is around the time of year that I like to do one of my semi-annual (I think that's the right way to say "every few months", but I'm currently sleep deprived) around this time of year just to see where I am, if there are places and things I still need to work on (as there always will be), where my recovery "state" (mental, spiritual, emotional) is at, and what's changed since my last inventory.

Anyhow, long story short, I was looking for a few different ways to do a Fourth Step Inventory to see if I could get something from a different perspective. I've always done the "sheets with columns" method or the long form (where you write out the items on the sheet with a little more detail) for my housecleanings. I haven't gotten to check out the link that stone posted above, which may answer my question . . . but you know how we are (or can be) - and I'm jumping in with both feet.

Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you,

(ephemeral)
Old 10-09-2008, 02:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR ephemeral. The best suggestion I can give is if you do not have a sponsor then ask some one who you want what they have to be your sponsor and take your inventory the same way they did. If you do have a sponsor then speak to them about it, maybe they have some others ways of taking inventory then the one you all originally used.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

welcome to SR

I have filled out many of those worksheets before.I usually give them to sponsee`s so it will help clear up any confusion they may have.

my second sponsor used to mention the same thing about different inventories.If I did the same old inventory all the time,I will see the same stuff,but I will also miss the same stuff.He encouraged me to do different types of inventories ...which does help.

it works!

Originally Posted by ephemeral View Post
Hi, I'm new to the site - and I'm glad I found it.

I've been sober for almost five years (I can't wait for Halloween!! W00t!!) and this is around the time of year that I like to do one of my semi-annual (I think that's the right way to say "every few months", but I'm currently sleep deprived) around this time of year just to see where I am, if there are places and things I still need to work on (as there always will be), where my recovery "state" (mental, spiritual, emotional) is at, and what's changed since my last inventory.

Anyhow, long story short, I was looking for a few different ways to do a Fourth Step Inventory to see if I could get something from a different perspective. I've always done the "sheets with columns" method or the long form (where you write out the items on the sheet with a little more detail) for my housecleanings. I haven't gotten to check out the link that stone posted above, which may answer my question . . . but you know how we are (or can be) - and I'm jumping in with both feet.

Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you,

(ephemeral)
Old 10-09-2008, 05:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

although I use the bb 4th step for my formal step work with my sponsor, I have found great benifits to using other 12 step information to delve deeper and in a different way. Sometimes that brings to light some subtle charactor defects, amends due, or 4th step material that I didn't quite see before.

Right now I am useing A womans Way through the Steps as a additional tool to view my behaivor ...selfishness, fear etc.

There are a variety of books on the 12 steps available on amazon that include of course the 4th step...

More will be revealed!
Old 10-09-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi ephemeral......
Welcome to SR!