| Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community |
Already registered? Login above ---^
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.
|12-26-2007, 04:06 PM||#1 (permalink)|
Progress Not Perfection
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: "Further up and further in!"---C.S. Lewis
Blog Entries: 3
ACA Bill of Rights
Taken from 12stepforums.net
Personal Bill of Rights
for Adult Children
1. I have a right to all those good times that I have longed for all these years and didn’t get.
2. I have a right to joy in this life, right here, right now — not just a momentary rush of euphoria but something more substantive.
3. I have a right to relax and have fun in a nonalcoholic and nondestructive way.
4. I have a right to actively pursue people, places, and situations that will help me in achieving a good life.
5. I have the right to say no whenever I feel something is not safe or I am not ready.
6. I have a right to not participate in either the active or passive “crazy-making” behavior of parents, of siblings, and of others.
7. I have a right to take calculated risks and to experiment with new strategies.
8. I have a right to change my tune, my strategy, and my funny equations.
9. I have a right to “mess up”; to make mistakes, to “blow it”, to disappoint myself, and to fall short of the mark.
10. I have a right to leave the company of people who deliberately or inadvertently put me down, lay a guilt trip on me, manipulate or humiliate me, including my alcoholic parent, my nonalcoholic parent, or any other member of my family.
11. I have a right to put an end to conversations with people who make me feel put down and humiliated.
12. I have a right to all my feelings.
13. I have a right to trust my feelings, my judgment, my hunches, my intuition.
14. I have a right to develop myself as a whole person emotionally, spiritually, mentally, physically, and psychologically.
15. I have a right to express all my feelings in a nondestructive way and at a safe time and place.
16. I have a right to as much time as I need to experiment with this new information and these new ideas and to initiate changes in my life.
17. I have a right to sort out the bill of goods my parents sold me — to take the acceptable and dump the unacceptable.
18. I have a right to a mentally healthy, sane way of existence, though it will deviate in part, or all, from my parents' prescribed philosophy of life.
19. I have a right to carve out my place in this world.
20. I have a right to follow any of the above rights, to live my life the way I want to, and not wait until my alcoholic parent gets well, gets happy, seeks help, or admits there is a problem
Take what you like and leave the rest.
"I am only just returned to a sense of real wonder about me..."---George Eliot
"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning." The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis
Have you read my blog?
|The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to Growing For This Useful Post:|| |
12Fretter (04-07-2011), ACOAHappyNow (09-20-2011), Anonymette (09-15-2014), anyanka (03-06-2012), Aries40 (08-17-2012), BornFree (04-05-2011), Carol Star (02-19-2013), chicory (11-18-2010), coyote21 (12-17-2010), davebeth2 (02-01-2010), FarawayFromCars (08-07-2010), fenestra (07-17-2012), foodie1 (11-24-2012), Gerena (11-22-2012), irisgardens (05-20-2013), jOSE2 (10-31-2011), ladyscribbler (07-16-2014), LaFemmeNikita (01-21-2012), lillamy (01-24-2011), lotusdreams (10-20-2013), m1k3 (01-12-2012), mbucek (04-12-2011), micealc (08-10-2011), NotValidated75 (11-10-2013), PlasticInsanity (07-30-2012), Poetry (07-06-2012), skippernlilg (10-03-2010), SoberJennie (06-04-2013), starlight40 (03-05-2011), Wascally Wabbit (05-29-2011), WISP1312 (05-09-2013), writerunsober (07-13-2014)
|12-26-2007, 05:26 PM||#2 (permalink)|
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Starting over all over again
oooh I love it!! you guys think it should be a "sticky post" ?
Sunsets are not endings. If I have enough faith, they are beginnings.
|The Following User Says Thank You to DesertEyes For This Useful Post:|| |
|12-26-2007, 09:17 PM||#5 (permalink)|
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stumbling toward happiness
Blog Entries: 2
Gets my vote!
"Tell me, what are you going to do with your one wild and precious life?" --Mary Oliver
"Action is the antidote to despair." --Joan Baez
"False hopes bind us to unlivable situations, and blind us to real possibilities." --Derrick Jensen
|12-26-2007, 09:59 PM||#6 (permalink)|
Power is not having to respond
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wabbit Hole
stickey vote here!
In fact, I am gonna print it out and leave it on my fridge for the next mom visit. I can look at it, and remind myself of these things!
In order to be walked on, you have to be lying down.
- Brian Weir
|Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers |
| Drug Rehab |
Best Treatment Center |
Detox Center |
Residential Treatment Center |
Cocaine/Crack Treatment | Alcohol Rehab | Heroin/Oxycontin Treatment Center | Crystal Meth Treatment | Marijuana Treatment | Methadone Treatment | Suboxone Treatment
|Local Treatment Resources and Events |
| Alabama |
Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine
Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire
New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island
South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennesee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming
| || |