SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Food Addiction- 24 Hour Thread/Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/428433-food-addiction-24-hour-thread-support.html)

Sunflowerlife 06-06-2018 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Liebe (Post 6918581)
Thank you for thinking of me!
I read in a couple places you're painting- so am I! Painting my front room, dining room- then kitchen and bath remodel. Its a lot of work, I know! You sound busy aside from the painting, and like you said, busy is good. Im proud of you for getting right to bed.

Thanks Liebe, I appreciate it! I do enjoy the busy work and it sounds like you do too! Hope you're having a great day :)

venuscat 06-06-2018 10:03 AM

I love omelettes.....love....I am very big with eggs, chicken, fish and some red meat....but omelettes I can have 4 nights a week easily....and Nick actually loves them, which is very handy. Think I will do them tonight.... :)

soberista 06-06-2018 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh (Post 6918573)
Okay, I'll bite...MCT oil? Ketosis? I'm on the fence, but very interested...scientifically it sounds right; logically it sounds dangerous...

Might be of interest

https://blog.bulletproof.com/85-in-a-state-of-ketosis-with-dominic-dagostino-podcast/

Liebe 06-06-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife (Post 6918707)
Thanks Liebe, I appreciate it! I do enjoy the busy work and it sounds like you do too! Hope you're having a great day :)

I do - just wish I had more energy to do more. Have a great day!

Sunflowerlife 06-06-2018 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh (Post 6918573)
Okay, I'll bite...MCT oil? Ketosis? I'm on the fence, but very interested...scientifically it sounds right; logically it sounds dangerous...

Which one sounds dangerous of the two? I absolutely love mct oil, Brain Octane to be exact. All I need is a tsp in my coffee and I can feel the energy immediately. It also helps curb my appetite. Pricey but really good stuff!

Sunflowerlife 06-06-2018 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6918730)
I love omelettes.....love....I am very big with eggs, chicken, fish and some red meat....but omelettes I can have 4 nights a week easily....and Nick actually loves them, which is very handy. Think I will do them tonight.... :)

Have you ever tried one with basil, mozzarella and pesto? They had large slices of tomatoes on top of the cheese omelette with a pesto sauce. So good!

Sunflowerlife 06-06-2018 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by soberista (Post 6918767)

D誕gostino is my favorite! Tons of studies on his fb page...

Sunflowerlife 06-06-2018 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Liebe (Post 6917958)
I think I had trouble sending you a message too- I think was because you're not on my contact list so I had to click a box in order for it to send.
Thanks for letting me know how to reply "in message".
Yes, I thought about the containers being a potential problem. I do want to see how much intake I really need a day. I know I am over snacking...but I get so hungry! This increase in exercise just seems have that unwanted side effect. I did drink a low carb protein shake for mid morning snack and that seemed to help before lunch- but its 2:10pm now and I am fighting the urge to go to the kitchen.
Im interested in the fasting. I know this might not count, but I cut myself off of any food by 6- or 7 pm and I dont eat until 9am the next morning- Im sure that doesnt count.. or I think I read that sleeping hours dont count. Maybe I am misinformed? I hope youre having a great day too and thank you.

Do you track your macros at all? Are you getting enough fat? I know when I was eating low fat I was always hungry and had to eat very high volume to feel full. I followed Dr. Furhman back then and would eat salads the size of large mixing bowls- no joke!

So it sounds like you fast 14-15 hours already! Many say 16 is the way to go but I know it depends on the person and I知 not sure how it works with Hashimotos. Sleeping does count. All time counts :) so I eat dinner at 5:30 and then eat again the next day between 10-12. Those hours are considered fasting.

Liebe 06-06-2018 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife (Post 6918903)
Do you track your macros at all? Are you getting enough fat? I know when I was eating low fat I was always hungry and had to eat very high volume to feel full. I followed Dr. Furhman back then and would eat salads the size of large mixing bowls- no joke!

So it sounds like you fast 14-15 hours already! Many say 16 is the way to go but I know it depends on the person and I知 not sure how it works with Hashimotos. Sleeping does count. All time counts :) so I eat dinner at 5:30 and then eat again the next day between 10-12. Those hours are considered fasting.

Ive never heard of tracking macros. I'll have to read about that. A size of a large mixing bowl sounds good right now because guess what came in the mail? My containers. OMG, they are small. Wow. I dont know anymore. Im feeling down right now.
Maybe I should fast longer? Im not sure what to follow anymore. Im a person who likes clear instructions and guidelines. Feeling a bit confused since these containers showed up.

Venecia 06-06-2018 04:15 PM

Hi.

First, I want to wish fellow SRers well, especially my friend Venuscat.

I understand the desire to take off pounds. I have been in that boat more often than not. And in the spirit of SR, I want to make a positive contribution to any conversation where I post. So I hope that what I have to say will be recognized for having been delivered in goodwill and supporting a healthy, sober community.

I think this thread has crossed a line several times in terms of medical advice.

To come on to SR and see a post that reads "We actually don't need carbohydrates! " is disconcerting. Yes, we do need them. To see the American Diabetes Association knocked around isn't helpful. If they are putting forth recommendations based on peer-reviewed, published studies in credible scientific journals (by, say, board-certified endocrinologists), it's because it's the best science has to offer. Not real sexy, I know. But ... science.

I really get that people want to support each other and I support you, too. But please be careful. It would be helpful to encourage others to seek a physician's help before embarking on any kind of diet that calls for changes as significant as the ketogenic diet. There are legitimate concerns about muscle loss and potential impact on kidneys, for starters. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...etogenic-diet/

I wish you well and hope that people can benefit from one another's responsible support.

Sunflowerlife 06-06-2018 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Venecia (Post 6918974)
Hi.

First, I want to wish fellow SRers well, especially my friend Venuscat.

I understand the desire to take off pounds. I have been in that boat more often than not. And in the spirit of SR, I want to make a positive contribution to any conversation where I post. So I hope that what I have to say will be recognized for having been delivered in goodwill and supporting a healthy, sober community.

I think this thread has crossed a line several times in terms of medical advice.

To come on to SR and see a post that reads "We actually don't need carbohydrates! " is disconcerting. Yes, we do need them. To see the American Diabetes Association knocked around isn't helpful. If they are putting forth recommendations based on peer-reviewed, published studies in credible scientific journals (by, say, board-certified endocrinologists), it's because it's the best science has to offer. Not real sexy, I know. But ... science.

I really get that people want to support each other and I support you, too. But please be careful. It would be helpful to encourage others to seek a physician's help before embarking on any kind of diet that calls for changes as significant as the ketogenic diet. There are legitimate concerns about muscle loss and potential impact on kidneys, for starters. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...etogenic-diet/

I wish you well and hope that people can benefit from one another's responsible support.

I appreciate your post and your opinion. I will definitely be more careful with my opinions on diet and for the record I would expect anyone here to do their own research before making any big dietary changes. I was speaking about keto to someone who also followed the diet and agrees about the poor labeling of our consumer products. As someone who followed a low fat diet as pushed by mainstream media for decades I can tell you I suffered greatly because of it. Keto has done wonders for me and so I am always excited to share it with others who may also struggle with binge eating plus countless other ailments it can help with. I follow several physicians (and a very well known Canadian nephrologist) who are changing their patients lives daily because of this diet but again you are right that I got carried away with it (again because of how much it intrigues and interests me. ) My purpose of this thread was to commit to abstinence from sugar and flour and low carb eating is the only thing that has helped me do that.

As for the ADA we can agree to disagree on that one as well as on the safety of the ketogenic diet. I have been researching it for over 20 months now and can also point to studies and research as well that show its efficacy and muscle sparing effects, not the opposite.

Thank you again for your comment and I apologize for taking this too far and for offending anyone.

I hope others can still find value in this thread because I started it from a place of compassion, empathy and love. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sunflowerlife 06-06-2018 05:22 PM

Well that’s not the best way to end the night but so be it.

I had a pretty good day and got some more painting done. I stuck to my food plan and now I’m tucked in bed with two new books and hoping to be asleep by 9. One of the books is “The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous.” A lady from Sunday’s meeting called to check on me but I missed it and will call her back tomorrow. I’m feeling really good and am amazed at how just a few good days of being sugar free can affect my outlook on life. This time last week I was absolutely miserable. I hope I can ride this wave as long as possible.

Goodnight guys.

Sunflowerlife 06-06-2018 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Liebe (Post 6918920)
Ive never heard of tracking macros. I'll have to read about that. A size of a large mixing bowl sounds good right now because guess what came in the mail? My containers. OMG, they are small. Wow. I dont know anymore. Im feeling down right now.
Maybe I should fast longer? Im not sure what to follow anymore. Im a person who likes clear instructions and guidelines. Feeling a bit confused since these containers showed up.

I would just research it because like I said I don稚 know how it works with Hashimotos. You are already giving your body plenty of time to digest and rest it sounds like and after the comment above I am going to step away from giving any dietary advice even though it is a passion of mine. I got over excited I guess since I知 so used to this type of talk in my FB groups which are mostly nutrition/health related.

I did not mean to push my own ideas on you or anyone else. If the idea of the containers resonated with you why not give it a shot?

Liebe 06-06-2018 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife (Post 6919035)
I would just research it because like I said I don稚 know how it works with Hashimotos. You are already giving your body plenty of time to digest and rest it sounds like and after the comment above I am going to step away from giving any dietary advice even though it is a passion of mine. I got over excited I guess since I知 so used to this type of talk in my FB groups which are mostly nutrition/health related.

I did not mean to push my own ideas on you or anyone else. If the idea of the containers resonated with you why not give it a shot?

I dont see you pushing ideas. I see you writing about your experience.
I appreciate input. That's why im here.
I had a relapse today. I got so down, and hungry- and I went to Safeway on my way home from Lowes and got a lot of bad deli food. I came home, stood at the counter and ate in front of my pretty new containers. After feeling awful about how I just stuffed myself, I washed all my containers and decided to try tomorrow.
:a043:

Sunflowerlife 06-06-2018 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Liebe (Post 6919074)
I dont see you pushing ideas. I see you writing about your experience.
I appreciate input. That's why im here.
I had a relapse today. I got so down, and hungry- and I went to Safeway on my way home from Lowes and got a lot of bad deli food. I came home, stood at the counter and ate in front of my pretty new containers. After feeling awful about how I just stuffed myself, I washed all my containers and decided to try tomorrow.
:a043:

I知 sorry Liebe. Making changes is hard and uncomfortable. Tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start for you.
And thanks for what you said. I am really feeling down about the above comment- like I crossed a line even though there is plenty of other talk about keto on SR if you search for it. Anyway...

Try not to be upset at yourself. Recovery is not linear. We may get there with bumps and bruises and tears, but we値l get there eventually :grouphug:

venuscat 06-06-2018 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife (Post 6918893)
Have you ever tried one with basil, mozzarella and pesto? They had large slices of tomatoes on top of the cheese omelette with a pesto sauce. So good!

Allergic to garlic honey and onions as well. :hug:

venuscat 06-06-2018 06:45 PM

I do appreciate Venecia's point of view....I think it is important to remember that these food choices should always be supported by medical supervision. I also think your response was incredibly well thought-out and sensitive dear Sunny..... :hug: ♥

Liebe 06-06-2018 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife (Post 6919084)
I知 sorry Liebe. Making changes is hard and uncomfortable. Tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start for you.
And thanks for what you said. I am really feeling down about the above comment- like I crossed a line even though there is plenty of other talk about keto on SR if you search for it. Anyway...

Try not to be upset at yourself. Recovery is not linear. We may get there with bumps and bruises and tears, but we値l get there eventually :grouphug:

In my opinion, I dont think you crossed a line. You're coming from a good place- and people can decide for themselves things that are said on here. We all have different experiences- and that's what makes these forums helpful.
I did beat myself up pretty good. I get too into my head. I feel my body changing a lot over this past year- and the old tapes from growing up play again in my head. Lots of shaming when I was young by my parents. Im tying to live one day at a time, and not in fear of what may or may not happen. THank you for your encouragement. :tyou

Dee74 06-06-2018 07:59 PM

To me reading this is not simply another diet thread - it's a thread about another form of addiction.

I'm glad that we can countenance all points of here - but if anyone does have complaints to make it's probably best to report on a post by post basis and the whole mod team will take a look.

As far as medical advice goes, it's always best to see your Dr before starting any new supplement, dietary plan, exercise plan or anything of that ilk.

I think we all know that's reflected in our rules :)

Dee
SR

Sunflowerlife 06-07-2018 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6919104)
Allergic to garlic honey and onions as well. :hug:

Holy moly! Well scratch that then! I still recommend the basil and mozzarella with tomatoes on top- no pesto! I didn't realize you had food allergies...