SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Food Addiction- 24 Hour Thread/Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/428433-food-addiction-24-hour-thread-support.html)

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 08:25 AM

Food Addiction- 24 Hour Thread/Support

I have come to finally accept that I am powerless over sugar/flour products and that the only way to overcome my food addiction is to abstain from these products 100%. This realization came to me a year after my sobriety date, and after listening to several podcasts including "Brain Over Binge" and one about food addiction on the "Fast Keto" podcast.

link:
Episode 14 of Fast Keto: Out of Control Sugar Addiction & The Ketogenic Diet

I have been doing vegetarian keto for almost a year and a half now and it helps a lot but I went from rarely binging to binging 1-3 times a week over the winter. When I am eating low carb/high fat I feel amazing. My mood is stable, my energy levels stable and I am able in general a happy person. Once I start binging it all goes downhill- my mood suffers (I get angry, irritable and want to isolate), I feel physically ill and I can't connect spiritually to Source which is also very important to me right not as I am on a path of enlightenment.

I want to use this thread as much as I need and am hoping that others who also have a food addiction will find some benefit in also using it.

I have a little over a day right now so my cravings are super strong and super real.

Still, I commit to the next hour of no sugar/flour. If I abstain from these foods I will also be abstaining from overeating as I do not eat compulsively with other foods.

Please join me on our journey to finally release our food addictions.

I will post again in an hour or two- just made a fatty protein shake- vegan protein powder, coconut milk, frozen acai, hemp and chia seed. Delicious, cold and filling...
:grouphug:

venuscat 06-03-2018 08:36 AM

I think this is a wonderful idea....so many of us here have or have had food issues that tormented us every bit as much as our alcoholism did. Well, that is true for me.

I was over 200 pounds at 21 and anorexic in my 30s.
I have battled and beaten my food demons now, but it took a long time and it was very lonely.

Here to support you in any way I can, and hopefully share some of the tips that have helped me along the way. :hug: ♥

erfra7 06-03-2018 08:59 AM

You got my support lovely lady

A Democratic Disease

There is nothing snobbish about our disease. It attacks individuals of every social and economic group. In OA, we meet the young and the old, male and female, rich and poor. One of the amazing things about an OA meeting is that it brings together in meaningful communication people from very disparate backgrounds. Even the generation gap closes when a common problem is the focus of genuine concern.

Thanks to OA, we experience warm fellowship. Perhaps for the first time, we come together with other people in a situation where game playing and ego building are at a minimum.

To be accepted for what we are and as we are is a healing experience. We may take off our masks and let down our defenses since we do not need to try to impress anyone in OA. As children of God, who happen to be compulsive overeaters, we are all equal.

We give thanks for OA.

venuscat 06-03-2018 09:01 AM

That is beautiful....is that the OA preamble....I love the wording. ♥

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 09:21 AM

Thank you so much Erfra- going to my first meeting tonight at 5:15 (if I don't chicken out!)

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 09:23 AM

11:22
Still super full from my shake with no cravings in sight. I'll check in again after lunchtime.

Snufkin 06-03-2018 09:48 AM

What an amazing idea Sunflower! :hug:

I've had a long history of eating disorders. I went from fairly overweight in my early teens to anorexic, struggled on and off with compulsive eating, purging and counting calories. I remember piles and piles of notebooks I used to write all my calorie intake for each day in, ridiculous stuff like 1/4 banana, 1 spoon of oatmeal etc. The goal was not to eat more than 500 kcal.

I'm overweight now, eat and binge mostly junk food, but because of what happened in the past, I'm really scared to start a healthier diet without getting into this mental obsession again...

Well, getting off alcohol is my top priority now, so I’m trying to forgive myself all the binge episodes, but I would love to be focused on a healthy relationship with food, too…

venuscat 06-03-2018 09:55 AM

Perhaps that's where I can help....because that is my area of expertise Snuf. Losing weight and feeling fab while you do it....no punishment at all...I have a very different way of looking at it all....I went to stupid weight loss programs and got to stand up and say "I am a pig" because I put on half a kilo....sigh....it is demoralising to the max.

When you are ready, we can formulate a plan if you like. :hug:

Way to go Sunflowerlife....one hour at a time we are going to get you to this meeting. :hug: ♥

Snufkin 06-03-2018 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6915693)
Perhaps that's where I can help....because that is my area of expertise Snuf. Losing weight and feeling fab while you do it....no punishment at all...I have a very different way of looking at it all....I went to stupid weight loss programs and got to stand up and say "I am a pig" because I put on half a kilo....sigh....it is demoralising to the max.

Way to go Sunflowerlife....one hour at a time we are going to get you to this meeting. :hug: ♥

Ohh that sounds amazing! Let's do this. :D

Snufkin 06-03-2018 10:02 AM

:D
https://pics.me.me/el-profe-joel-s-h...y-32848658.png

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Snufkin (Post 6915690)
What an amazing idea Sunflower! :hug:

I've had a long history of eating disorders. I went from fairly overweight in my early teens to anorexic, struggled on and off with compulsive eating, purging and counting calories. I remember piles and piles of notebooks I used to write all my calorie intake for each day in, ridiculous stuff like 1/4 banana, 1 spoon of oatmeal etc. The goal was not to eat more than 500 kcal.

I'm overweight now, eat and binge mostly junk food, but because of what happened in the past, I'm really scared to start a healthier diet without getting into this mental obsession again...

Well, getting off alcohol is my top priority now, so Im trying to forgive myself all the binge episodes, but I would love to be focused on a healthy relationship with food, too

It's so hard battling two addictions, isn't it Snuf? For me I definitely wasn't ready to tackle the food early in my sobriety. Now that I've got 13 months behind me I feel more well equipped. So go easy on yourself and it will happen when the time is right.

My ED past is similar to yours in that it has been a little bit of everything- I started out restricting at age 19, was eating 750 calories a day when I was 27 and then my body revolted by binge eating after I ended up in rehab/hospital for trying to take my life following the anorexia/drug and alcohol abuse.

Then I started purging when I was a personal trainer drinking over a bottle of wine a night and not feeling "good or thin enough" to be in that field. Another stint in rehab/hospital and then it has been compulsive overeating since then (11 years ago.)

I just want this crap to be over with. It's consuming my life just like the drugs and alcohol did. I'm almost 42- I can't keep going on like this.

Glad you are here and maybe just making small changes, one at a time will help for now. Like replacing one junk food for an option that maybe feels better to your body.:grouphug:

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6915693)

I still can't believe there were meetings like that anywhere on this planet. I was a weight loss counselor (one of my many jobs in the past) and I had so much sympathy for my clients- they would feel so disappointed even when they had gained an ounce (could have been the clothes or the fact that it was afternoon.) I still to this day remember a client in her 70s who was still binging and I was thinking- God please don't let me still be doing this when I'm her age...sigh...
So happy for you that you have a healthy relationship with food now.
For some of us abstinence is the only way, just like with the booze.

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 11:00 AM

12:25 check in

I almost caved. I've had the most brutal day with my kids (husband is working) and really it has nothing to do with them- it's all me and my mood and the fact that I haven't had sugar/starchy carbs for 1 day, 7 hours (I use a tracker.) I have been so on edge and so mean to them. My 3 year old just asked me, "Mommy, can you be nice again?" WTF is wrong with me??So my body is screaming for glucose but it's not going to get much of it today. The second day getting into ketosis is always the hardest for me emotionally. Tomorrow should be much better if history repeats itself.

Having said that, I was this close to binging. I poured some tortilla chips for my son and started eating them. I was so angry and full of rage and fantasizing about binging. I was going to keep eating and then go to a movie when my husband gets home and eat popcorn and crap and skip the OA meeting, afterall it's Sunday and who doesn't binge on Sundays when Monday is right around the corner?....and then I stopped. I breathed. I made a bowl of flax crackers with melted cheese and grape tomatoes and a mashed up avocado and DAMMIT I AM NOT GOING TO BINGE TODAY.

I am going to that meeting so help me God.

venuscat 06-03-2018 11:13 AM

And that is SO much yummier than tortillas and popcorn!!!!!
Very empowering. Imagine how good this is going to make you feel tomorrow.
And I bet you gave your little man a giant hug. ♥

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Snufkin (Post 6915702)

I don't know Snuf- this just isn't about weight or dieting or pizza (which I can never eat again.) This is about a real addiction to foods like flour and sugar which I cannot eat in moderation, just like I can't drink in moderation. There is a scientific correlation between alcohol and sugar/carb addiction. Same brain, same problem.

I love you and want to be honest with you about how this photo made me feel.

Snufkin 06-03-2018 11:29 AM

I'm so sorry Sunflower, it was silly, but made me laugh! Mostly because I work at pizzeria and do this sort of stuff.

(free staff food, I'm broke, so I basically eat junk every day :( )

No more stupid jokes. :)

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Snufkin (Post 6915783)
I'm so sorry Sunflower, it was a silly, but made me laugh! Mostly because I work at pizzeria and do this sort of stuff.

(free staff food, I'm broke, so I basically eat junk every day :( )

No more stupid jokes. :)

Oh geez, that has to make this all much more complicated. Do they not have any side options like salads? I think if pizza can be eaten in moderation for you then 1-2 slices a day can be worked into your day, right?
I appreciate you adding humor to the group. Sometimes I am too damn serious...

Snufkin 06-03-2018 11:43 AM

No, I'm sorry, it was stupid & insensitive, this is a serious issue and I just want want to support you, myself and everyone else struggling through this nightmare. :hug:

It's either pizza or pasta at my work. I don't think I can stop at 2 slices once I start... but I could start preparing meals to take to work and eat them after my shift, so I'm not starving and thinking, f-it, let's demolish a whole pizza. And I could take a pizza home for my BF, so I'm still saving money.

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Snufkin (Post 6915799)
No, I'm sorry, it was stupid & insensitive, this is a serious issue and I just want want to support you, myself and everyone else struggling through this nightmare. :hug:

It's either pizza or pasta at my work. I don't think I can stop at 2 slices once I start... but I could start preparing meals to take to work and eat them after my shift, so I'm not starving and thinking, f-it, let's demolish a whole pizza. And I could take a pizza home for my BF, so I'm still saving money.

Well there's a solution! Sounds like a great plan Snuf - see? We are doing this together...

venuscat 06-03-2018 11:58 AM

Absolutely.. ♥♥♥

Snufkin 06-03-2018 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife (Post 6915806)
Well there's a solution! Sounds like a great plan Snuf - see? We are doing this together...

Uh this is gonna be hard, because I absolutely h a t e cooking, but like you said, we're doing it! I know it's gonna make me feel so much better. I'm working on Tuesday, so Tuesday is gonna be my meal prep day 1! Wish me luck D:

I love you so much! We can do this! :hug:

venuscat 06-03-2018 12:07 PM

I will help you....we will both help you.....there are lots of meals you can prepare that take none or very little cooking....believe me....I am no cook. But spinach and greens and avocado and healthy wraps if you eat carbs (I do) and tuna and chicken....you could even make a quick stir fry and take that with for lunch the next day.....very healthy.....it's about buying different stuff....adding your favourite yogurts to your fridge (I have tons) and lots and lots of fresh food....easy to toss together some salad vegies in a container and cut them up at work even....if you like hummus, carrots and celery are a wonderful snack...

Having healthy food prepared helps battle the smells....it's hard going out in the world with all of the take-away food trucks everywhere, you can't help but smell it.

For me, it is all about the words that Sunny uses.....my "relationship" with food.
And it is one I will continue to work on always. I need to. :hug:

joandmelandhan 06-03-2018 01:12 PM

Aha! I have found you!
:wall:
I honestly don't know yet if I am addicted to a food type but I intend to explore the possibility and work on what I'm putting in my mouth.
Frankly I have the potential to get addicted to just about anything if I don't keep myself in check!
I think a lot of it for me is many years of simply not making "real" food as a result of either being drunk or hungover 24/7. Laziness/addiction/inexperience who knows?
I am getting a lot better. I follow a diet plan quite well (let's say 80% of the time) but all or nothing behaviour means I'm either good or cramming crap down my neck like a mad woman.
What I'm doing well:
I mix oats and fat free yoghurt and mix with fruit for breakfast every day
I cook from scratch minimum 5 nights per week
I always put an extra portion aside for work
What I need to work on:
Nibbling on the kids treats
Bad choices when I eat out
Too much coffee
Snacking on bed (improved but totally unnecessary)
Not going to the gym often enough

I will be following your thread with great interest dear Sunflower.

❤❤❤

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 02:07 PM

So happy to see you Jo. It sounds like you have a good foundation so far. I think a lot of us are black and white in our thinking which can be some of the problem. Like I’m either doing “well” on my food plan or I blow it completely and take it to the other extreme. I wish there was a middle ground like a way to eat a slice of bread for example but for me that doesn’t work with my brain chemistry. My brain metabolizes flour the same way it metabolizes booze. Same chemical reactions. It’s quite fascinating really.

I hear ya on not eating after the kids! So hard just to throw their left overs away but once you make it a habit not to eat what is left on their plates it gets easier I think.

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 02:09 PM

I have an idea for snacking in bed- is this because you watch tv in bed? My old therapist once said the best way to change a habit is to replace it rather than try to eliminate it from the get go. So how about you buy yourself some amazing new teas and your new ritual can be a warm cup of tea in bed instead? It may be uncomfortable at first but after a week or two it will feel awesome!!

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 02:12 PM

I wanted to share this quiz from the OA site for those who may be curious about compulsive overeating:

https://oa.org/newcomers/how-do-i-st...ive-overeater/

And this one from Food Addiction Institute

https://foodaddictioninstitute.org/quiz/

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 02:18 PM

And this comes from the files of the FB group I am in called "Sugarbomb in your brain" for food addicts. It really shows the difference between someone who is having a hard time sticking to their diet and someone who is indeed a food addict. Sorry about the spacing- I am not sure why it copied this way (the author is Swedish hence the reference to Swedish books.)

"Starter manual for a sugar/flour free future

Sugar addiction is a brain disease just like alcoholism and other addictive diseases. The disease contains
relapses, it is chronic but treatable. Someone who has developed an addiction to sugar (flour, carbs), has a
different biochemistry than the ones that do not. When eating sugar or food that quickly converts into
sugar in the body (all flour, pasta, rice, potatoes, starchy vegetables/nuts), sugar-addicts experience an
extremely high dopamine boost, which gives great satisfaction, peace and happiness. Over time, the brain
requires a larger amount of sugar to achieve the same dopamine release and dopamine levels decrease and
therefore over time we feel anxiety, depression and moodswings. It turns into a vicious circle where loss of
control over certain foods starts and we develop false thoughts, feelings, erratic behavior and feel
miserable. A good read is Craing Nakkens book Addictive personality (in Swedish Beroendepersonligheten)
As soon as the drug leaves the body the sugar addict experiences discomfort and withdrawal symptoms in
the same way an alcoholic feels when quitting alcohol.
It is important to understand how the disease works and the most important book to read is
"Sockerbomben 3.0" by Bitten Jonsson. (Previous editions are not as updated regarding the new dietary
guidelines and new research.) "Sockerbomben 3.0" is only available in Swedish. In English the
recommended literature is Vera Tarman and Phil Werdells book "Food junkies". For more information go to
www.foodaddictioninstitute.org

Dee74 06-03-2018 04:59 PM

Hi guys :)

I moved your thread.

we start threads in Newcomers forum and then if/when you guys reach a part 2., we move you to Daily Support forum - that way you get seen by a lot of folks, build up some regulars, and get more response.

D

venuscat 06-03-2018 05:03 PM

:hug: ♥

Sunflowerlife 06-03-2018 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6916077)
Hi guys :)

I moved your thread.

we start threads in Newcomers forum and then if/when you guys reach a part 2., we move you to Daily Support forum - that way you get seen by a lot of folks, build up some regulars, and get more response.

D

Sorry- did I mess it up D? Thank you for your help.