SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Food Addiction- 24 Hour Thread/Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/428433-food-addiction-24-hour-thread-support.html)

Sunflowerlife 06-05-2018 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 (Post 6917683)
I've been neglecting water intake, so I'm making myself drink water before having more coffee. Baby steps!

This is a great move Purplrks!
I tend to go for the coffee first too so I think I will join you starting tomorrow and have a nice glass of water first! A few years ago I was drinking a small cup from a copper cup every morning (it's supposed to be very balancing.) I will dig it out of the cupboard tonight and set it out for the morning. Thanks for the reminder!
6 Reasons To Try a Copper Water Vessel - YogaDigest.com

Sunflowerlife 06-05-2018 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 (Post 6917516)
Hi everyone :wave:

^^^I'm in the same boat as you, Snuf ^^^

I don't cook....the place I rent has a small fridge/microwave so I eat mostly processed foods and I've even slacked from going to the gym! :yuck:

Great thread! I would love to join :c017:

Really, really happy to have you!

Sunflowerlife 06-05-2018 07:42 AM

Feeling so good today- I am energetic, I slept well and I had an awesome workout this morning. I tried 30 lbs dumbbells for my chest press and managed about 4 without compromising my form! My goal is to do 10 by August.

Just got back from the grocery store and had a filling fatty protein shake- about to start painting again.

So happy to have you all here with me! We can do this, one day (or hour) at a time!

Sunflowerlife 06-05-2018 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh (Post 6917453)
Liebe -- I was also planning to "correct" the language in your last post! It can't be as simple as failure, way too harsh of a term. Cooking potatoes for your family is a huge temptation; if someone left a hot bowl of mashed potatoes in front of me with a salt shaker and a stick of butter within reach...hoo boy, gimme a big spoon and leave me alone!

Carbs are complicated; we need them to survive. Potatoes are healthier than candy. Cooking for others is hard. Over-sampling is better than bingeing. Trying to change is better than giving up. "Failure" is relative!

Keep making better choices, and you'll actually be succeeding...

We actually don't need carbohydrates! They are the only macro not needed for health. We have to have fats and would die without protein but our bodies can actually run on an alternative fuel source (ketones) and make their own glucose through a process called gluconeogenesis! I have been doing vegetarian keto for almost a year and a half and while I definitely love my vegetables and fiber, there are some people who do this whole "carnivore diet" where they eat 0 carbs. I wouldn't enjoy it personally but it can be done without compromising health!

Having said all of that I love your attitude in this post- over sampling IS better than binging and cooking for others makes all of these food challenges that much harder. We have to do the best with what we've got! It's those small changes that make all the difference!:You_Rock_

Liebe 06-05-2018 12:06 PM

Thank you Sunflowerlife. Im not great on this site- trying to reply to your message- not trying to start a new one.
Thanks for the encouragement. I am going to start with something small. I bought some portion control containers to get an idea of what a daily intake might look like. Not sure how people feel about that- but it was cheap on Amazon, thought id experiment.
Intermittent fasting. I have heard of it. Do you do this?

venuscat 06-05-2018 12:26 PM

Portion control containers are a great idea I think. :hug:

Sorry...just having a very busy day, but reading. ♥

Sunflowerlife 06-05-2018 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Liebe (Post 6917860)
Thank you Sunflowerlife. Im not great on this site- trying to reply to your message- not trying to start a new one.
Thanks for the encouragement. I am going to start with something small. I bought some portion control containers to get an idea of what a daily intake might look like. Not sure how people feel about that- but it was cheap on Amazon, thought id experiment.

Hi Liebe- must be something in the air. I tried to reply to your private message and it said you are not set up to receive messages! Here the easiest thing to do in the thread is press the "quote" button- then you are basically replying to the message that shows up in quotes.

I think those containers are great as long as it doesn't trigger you.

I love intermittent fasting and have been doing it since 2012 or 2013- I usually fast for 16 hours and eat for 8 but sometimes it ends up being closer to 18 hours of fasting (not intentional, I just don't get hungry before 10, 11 or noon! I know it doesn't work for everyone but it works great for my body and especially on keto since all fat burning takes place when insulin is low- the more you fast, the less insulin. Some people already do it without giving it a name- like my parents, I have never seen them eat breakfast (ok, maybe a free hotel breakfast on vacation) and they finish dinner by 5pm. So they technically also practice it by nature.

I hope you are having a great day and I can't wait to hear how you like those new containers! I weigh and track most of my meals (most of the time) and it really helps me feel better. I find when I'm not tracking I tend to snack more and then binge.

Sunflowerlife 06-05-2018 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Liebe (Post 6917860)

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6917878)
Portion control containers are a great idea I think. :hug:

Sorry...just having a very busy day, but reading. ♥

Busy is good! :Flower:

Liebe 06-05-2018 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife (Post 6917921)
Hi Liebe- must be something in the air. I tried to reply to your private message and it said you are not set up to receive messages! Here the easiest thing to do in the thread is press the "quote" button- then you are basically replying to the message that shows up in quotes.

I think those containers are great as long as it doesn't trigger you.

I love intermittent fasting and have been doing it since 2012 or 2013- I usually fast for 16 hours and eat for 8 but sometimes it ends up being closer to 18 hours of fasting (not intentional, I just don't get hungry before 10, 11 or noon! I know it doesn't work for everyone but it works great for my body and especially on keto since all fat burning takes place when insulin is low- the more you fast, the less insulin. Some people already do it without giving it a name- like my parents, I have never seen them eat breakfast (ok, maybe a free hotel breakfast on vacation) and they finish dinner by 5pm. So they technically also practice it by nature.

I hope you are having a great day and I can't wait to hear how you like those new containers! I weigh and track most of my meals (most of the time) and it really helps me feel better. I find when I'm not tracking I tend to snack more and then binge.

I think I had trouble sending you a message too- I think was because you're not on my contact list so I had to click a box in order for it to send.
Thanks for letting me know how to reply "in message".
Yes, I thought about the containers being a potential problem. I do want to see how much intake I really need a day. I know I am over snacking...but I get so hungry! This increase in exercise just seems have that unwanted side effect. I did drink a low carb protein shake for mid morning snack and that seemed to help before lunch- but its 2:10pm now and I am fighting the urge to go to the kitchen.
Im interested in the fasting. I know this might not count, but I cut myself off of any food by 6- or 7 pm and I dont eat until 9am the next morning- Im sure that doesnt count.. or I think I read that sleeping hours dont count. Maybe I am misinformed? I hope youre having a great day too and thank you.

Sunflowerlife 06-05-2018 08:39 PM

Liebe- I will respond in more detail tomorrow. It’s 11:38 pm and I just got home from my class exhausted but I wanted to check in because I had cravings to binge on the way home and I resisted them. I didn’t even go into the kitchen which is how I got in trouble this time last week. Just walked right upstairs and now I’m in bed and really ready to sleep. So I’m proud of myself for that :)
Goodnight folks.

soberista 06-06-2018 01:31 AM

Nice thread. Please can i Join in and stay healthy in my eating for today?

AAPJ 06-06-2018 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife (Post 6915774)
I There is a scientific correlation between alcohol and sugar/carb addiction. Same brain, same problem.

You got that right. This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it. My wife and I are part of the low carb keto team but we are not vegetarians. We don't eat breakfast any more and only eat in a 6-8 hour time window most days.

Here are a few thoughts for those of you who are reading this thread but have little interest in going to a no sugar no flour diet.

First in my view eating disorders are significantly more difficult to deal with because while one can completely quit consuming alcohol and drugs one must continue to eat.

There is more than one line of thinking when it comes to diets. You have folks who think low fat and lots of whole grains are the answer and another camp that likes fats but completely shuns carbs. However, both camps agree that refined sugars and white flour are poor diet choices. So if you are at an AA celebration meeting and the piles of cookies and cake are offered to you just say NO.

Finally, please read the labels on food products when you shop at the store. Be particularly careful when buying products that are labeled "low fat". In many cases low fat products actually have more added sugar than the regular version of the product. That's because the food companies know that humans have a natural liking for both sugars and fats. So if they take the fat out they need to replace it with sugar so you keep buying the product. They do not care about your health. All they want to do is sell as much of their product as possible.

OK apologies for the interruption. I will get off my soapbox and shut up. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Sunflowerlife 06-06-2018 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by soberista (Post 6918317)
Nice thread. Please can i Join in and stay healthy in my eating for today?

Absolutely!! Nice to see you Soberista!!

Arpeggioh 06-06-2018 04:06 AM

Liebe - you mentioned one thing that I really struggle with: not eating before bed. One of the many YouTube diet "doctors" sold me a diet plan, which I promptly ignored while I await my refund...but one very useful hard / fast rule was no food three hours before bedtime. It's definitely a good goal; I grew up spending evenings with tv and snacks, and really fight that awful habit now.

AAPJ expressed thoughts similar to mine: sugar is my first major enemy, and its elimination is the basis for my diet right now. The rest is still being determined, with a heavy reliance on meat and eggs and cheese. Unfortunately, I tend to take advantage of Atkins-like diet plans and go nuts on bacon and sausage, but don't want to weigh my broccoli! It's a process, and I'm still figuring it out; it's easy to get overwhelmed by Plans, there are just so many being followed right now, all with different "rules," and all with very strong opinions...

I'm just glad to have a place to discuss it; my friends and family are getting really tired of hearing about what I eat!

Sunflowerlife 06-06-2018 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by AAPJ (Post 6918357)
You got that right. This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it. My wife and I are part of the low carb keto team but we are not vegetarians. We don't eat breakfast any more and only eat in a 6-8 hour time window most days.

Here are a few thoughts for those of you who are reading this thread but have little interest in going to a no sugar no flour diet.

First in my view eating disorders are significantly more difficult to deal with because while one can completely quit consuming alcohol and drugs one must continue to eat.

There is more than one line of thinking when it comes to diets. You have folks who think low fat and lots of whole grains are the answer and another camp that likes fats but completely shuns carbs. However, both camps agree that refined sugars and white flour are poor diet choices. So if you are at an AA celebration meeting and the piles of cookies and cake are offered to you just say NO.

Finally, please read the labels on food products when you shop at the store. Be particularly careful when buying products that are labeled "low fat". In many cases low fat products actually have more added sugar than the regular version of the product. That's because the food companies know that humans have a natural liking for both sugars and fats. So if they take the fat out they need to replace it with sugar so you keep buying the product. They do not care about your health. All they want to do is sell as much of their product as possible.

OK apologies for the interruption. I will get off my soapbox and shut up. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

I absolutely LOVE your post AAPJ!! And I'm glad you found keto works for you and your wife as well- I was actually led to the diet through divine intervention in November of 2016. I was so tired of binging- buying sandwiches and chips from Subway and eating them in the car before I got home for dinner. Gorging myself on snacks mostly in the car (I traveled a lot for work back then) and for me my drinking binges always went along with large quantities of carby/sugary foods unlike a lot of people who don't eat much when they drink. I consumed everything I could when I was in "binge mode."

I prayed and Source led me to keto podcasts. Here I am 20 months later and I am STILL fascinated that we can run on an alternative fuel source, diminish our sugar cravings and even change the shape of our bodies while being totally satisfied and healthy. I still listen to podcasts every single week and the science behind it really thrills me and I love knowing that this diet can help diabetics and those suffering from other issues like PCOS and of course, epilepsy.

You know, it makes me sick what this country does in terms of food labels. My father is a physician and still chooses low fat, avoids saturated fat and I'm sure he prescribes a low fat, high carb diet to his diabetic patients because that's the the ADA is still telling them to do. I just looked on the ADA website and of course it says to avoid coconut oil, bacon and eat low fat yogurts (gasp!). I was low fat vegetarian/vegan for years. I was so afraid of fat I was eating around 25 grams a day tops. And even though I was focusing on lots of vegetables and limited grains, I was always, always hungry (and still binging a ton.)

Sorry, I'm rambling. The food industry's influence really gets to me. So many people who are sick who could be in control of their blood sugar if only more doctors knew about low carb/high fat.

And the cookies at the end of meetings? Why!! Why do we treat ourselves with sugary treats? I do the same thing with my kids. I know it will make them happy so I buy them cupcakes every now and then or small ice cream cones. This is the biggest thing my husband and I are working on now- especially knowing my genes and I have a hunch my toddler who turns 4 this summer is already starting to show signs of being a sugar lover.

Okay, little man is whining for breakfast. I gotta go but I'm so glad to have you hear! Talk about soap boxes, I am getting down now!!

venuscat 06-06-2018 07:01 AM

I love the soapbox and the passion AAPJ. ♥

A man after my own heart..... in fact, in Australia, I actually got some food labels changed to list an allergen they won't normally list.

Awesome on going straight to bed after class last night Sunflower love......bet you felt so good when you woke up today. :)

Arpeggioh 06-06-2018 07:16 AM

Okay, I'll bite...MCT oil? Ketosis? I'm on the fence, but very interested...scientifically it sounds right; logically it sounds dangerous...

Liebe 06-06-2018 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh (Post 6918402)
Liebe - you mentioned one thing that I really struggle with: not eating before bed. One of the many YouTube diet "doctors" sold me a diet plan, which I promptly ignored while I await my refund...but one very useful hard / fast rule was no food three hours before bedtime. It's definitely a good goal; I grew up spending evenings with tv and snacks, and really fight that awful habit now.

AAPJ expressed thoughts similar to mine: sugar is my first major enemy, and its elimination is the basis for my diet right now. The rest is still being determined, with a heavy reliance on meat and eggs and cheese. Unfortunately, I tend to take advantage of Atkins-like diet plans and go nuts on bacon and sausage, but don't want to weigh my broccoli! It's a process, and I'm still figuring it out; it's easy to get overwhelmed by Plans, there are just so many being followed right now, all with different "rules," and all with very strong opinions...

I'm just glad to have a place to discuss it; my friends and family are getting really tired of hearing about what I eat!

Its not easy to cut out before bed. Last night I was so hungry that I felt a bit sick when I finally got to sleep. I had a lighter than normal dinner so Im sure that was a factor- but its difficult. I too like to watch tv and snack. Boy, do I ever like snacks. I cut water out also after dinner because I get up to go to the bathroom too much if I have any- so part of that hungry feeling could be dehydration so I plan to drink more water earlier in the day.
One thing Ive tried is a "Kitchen Closed" sign. I put it on the fridge. I tell myself- ok, kitchen closed! I clean the counters, the sink, make it all nice as a trick to not disturb it. Then my son comes home and opens the kitchen "after hours".
Ah, well- but sometimes little mind-tricks help.

Liebe 06-06-2018 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife (Post 6918212)
Liebe- I will respond in more detail tomorrow. It’s 11:38 pm and I just got home from my class exhausted but I wanted to check in because I had cravings to binge on the way home and I resisted them. I didn’t even go into the kitchen which is how I got in trouble this time last week. Just walked right upstairs and now I’m in bed and really ready to sleep. So I’m proud of myself for that :)
Goodnight folks.

Thank you for thinking of me!
I read in a couple places you're painting- so am I! Painting my front room, dining room- then kitchen and bath remodel. Its a lot of work, I know! You sound busy aside from the painting, and like you said, busy is good. Im proud of you for getting right to bed.

Sunflowerlife 06-06-2018 09:36 AM

:tyou

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6918558)
I love the soapbox and the passion AAPJ. ♥

A man after my own heart..... in fact, in Australia, I actually got some food labels changed to list an allergen they won't normally list.

Awesome on going straight to bed after class last night Sunflower love......bet you felt so good when you woke up today. :)

Wow Suze, good for you for taking matters into your own hands!
Yes, I am proud of myself for last night. Just got back from lunch with my husband at our favorite diner- we had some amazing omeletes- one with veggies and another with mozzarella, basil and pesto- reminds me to get more creative with my omelets!