SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Food Addiction- 24 Hour Thread/Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/428433-food-addiction-24-hour-thread-support.html)

Sunflowerlife 06-07-2018 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6919149)
To me reading this is not simply another diet thread - it's a thread about another form of addiction.

I'm glad that we can countenance all points of here - but if anyone does have complaints to make it's probably best to report on a post by post basis and the whole mod team will take a look.

As far as medical advice goes, it's always best to see your Dr before starting any new supplement, dietary plan, exercise plan or anything of that ilk.

I think we all know that's reflected in our rules :)

Dee
SR

Thanks D...

Sunflowerlife 06-07-2018 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6919108)
I do appreciate Venecia's point of view....I think it is important to remember that these food choices should always be supported by medical supervision. I also think your response was incredibly well thought-out and sensitive dear Sunny..... :hug: ♥

Thanks Suze :) We live and we learn. One of my life lessons is discernment which I obviously still have a hard time with. I am learning to find out what is true for me and not be so affected by the words of others. It's a process...

AAPJ 06-07-2018 03:00 AM

The SR Forum includes both of the following boards:

Fitness, Health, and Nutrition
Eating Disorders

So clearly the managers of this forum recognize the value of a thread of this nature. However, if one takes an extreme view of the definition of "medical advice" both of these topics would be very difficult to discuss at all given the rules of SR.

I hope this thread is allowed to continue as I believe that for some of us we need this information and support for a complete healthy recovery from all of our addictive behaviors.

Sunflowerlife 06-07-2018 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Liebe (Post 6919118)
In my opinion, I dont think you crossed a line. You're coming from a good place- and people can decide for themselves things that are said on here. We all have different experiences- and that's what makes these forums helpful.
I did beat myself up pretty good. I get too into my head. I feel my body changing a lot over this past year- and the old tapes from growing up play again in my head. Lots of shaming when I was young by my parents. Im tying to live one day at a time, and not in fear of what may or may not happen. THank you for your encouragement. :tyou

Thanks Liebe- I appreciate your words.

I really hope you can find some peace in your heart tonight- I can only imagine how hard it feels when we don't have control over some of the things our bodies are doing. If I were you I would look for some online support for Hashimoto's so you can talk to other people who are going through the same thing. It would just help you feel less alone and maybe you could discover some ways to help you with the hunger signals. I know you said you don't do FB but perhaps Reddit has a group?

Make this a good day- be gentle with yourself- breath a little deeper...:grouphug:

Sunflowerlife 06-07-2018 03:04 AM

Day 4

Feels like a while since I've had 3 good days in a row but I'm going to keep riding this wave as long as I can. I think something is changing inside of me. It really took me a couple weeks after admitting I am powerless over sugar and flour to commit to abstinence. But I made some baby steps last yesterday-

I was throwing away a snack package that I found in the stroller from the other day that had 1 fruit gummy left in it. This is going to sound ridiculous but normally I would have popped it in my mouth. I looked at it, said, "I'm not going to do it" and threw it in the trash.

Same with the knife after I make my son's PB&J sandwich- I usually lick the knife (and love every second of it) but I did not yesterday. I ran it under the sink and put it in the dishwasher. Sounds like small things but these are the mindless, unnecessary tastes of sugar my body just does not need.

I commit to 24 hours of abstinence from sugar and flour today. Woke up a little late so I'm trying to get my butt of this chair so I can get ready for the gym. Painting the ceiling today in the living room and I'm not looking forward to it at all!

You guys have all my love and support...

venuscat 06-07-2018 05:29 AM

But I am looking forward to you painting the ceiling..... :)
Actually, I couldn't do it....I would need to get help. :hug: ♥

Wishing you a wonderful day love. xx

Dee74 06-07-2018 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by AAPJ (Post 6919322)
The SR Forum includes both of the following boards:

Fitness, Health, and Nutrition
Eating Disorders

So clearly the managers of this forum recognize the value of a thread of this nature. However, if one takes an extreme view of the definition of "medical advice" both of these topics would be very difficult to discuss at all given the rules of SR.

I hope this thread is allowed to continue as I believe that for some of us we need this information and support for a complete healthy recovery from all of our addictive behaviors.

No ones suggested closing the thread :)

D

Sunflowerlife 06-07-2018 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6919442)
But I am looking forward to you painting the ceiling..... :)
Actually, I couldn't do it....I would need to get help. :hug: ♥

Wishing you a wonderful day love. xx

In the Lowe’s parking lot now. I may just take a picture of me in my overalls to give the full effect when I get home.

Suffering a bit right now. I had a bad moment win my husband this morning and I am still holding onto the negative energy for some reason. And of course now I want to overeat to stuff the feelings down. Just need a little extra support please from anyone who feels they can offer it. I don’t want to binge. I just ate some protein and fat and am hoping that will help me.

venuscat 06-07-2018 06:56 AM

Sorry I wasn't here love.... :hug:

There are things that will make you feel much better than the bad things you don't want to eat....what is your favourite keto snack? Or drink.....maybe you could have a chai latte or whatever lovely herbal tea you like? Sit at a cafe for a few minutes and remember how awesome you are? You are....truly.....emotions are coming up.....lots of them.....that is going to happen.....sending so much love. ♥♥♥

Sunflowerlife 06-07-2018 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6919532)
Sorry I wasn't here love.... :hug:

There are things that will make you feel much better than the bad things you don't want to eat....what is your favourite keto snack? Or drink.....maybe you could have a chai latte or whatever lovely herbal tea you like? Sit at a cafe for a few minutes and remember how awesome you are? You are....truly.....emotions are coming up.....lots of them.....that is going to happen.....sending so much love. ♥♥♥

Thank you Suze. I think my body just really wants WATER! I had coffee and a little water during my workout but not enough. Going to chug when I get home and then paint my feelings away. Lol. Or just try to let them flow through me I just wish I could love my husband more.

venuscat 06-07-2018 07:07 AM

:hug: I have aluminium water bottles...lots of them....one in the car, even if it's not cold it's fresh water....

I think painting the feelings away will do wonders.....it will soothe you....and please love, remember all of the positive and loving moments you and your husband have had lately....lots of wonderful steps forward.....if I was you, I would choose a different thought to change my feelings right now. Something totally unrelated....something like I am grateful to be sober today. I know you are...I am too...and if you say it to yourself over and over, I think you might find you feel a little differently....gratitude and love will surge back for yourself and the universe... ♥♥♥

Purplrks3647 06-07-2018 07:10 AM

Hope you're doing a little better now, SFL.....you can always crank up some of your favorite music while painting! (Just don't do like I would and play air drums at the same time, then there's paint flying all over the place! lol) :09:

Sunflowerlife 06-07-2018 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6919547)
:hug: I have aluminium water bottles...lots of them....one in the car, even if it's not cold it's fresh water....

I think painting the feelings away will do wonders.....it will soothe you....and please love, remember all of the positive and loving moments you and your husband have had lately....lots of wonderful steps forward.....if I was you, I would choose a different thought to change my feelings right now. Something totally unrelated....something like I am grateful to be sober today. I know you are...I am too...and if you say it to yourself over and over, I think you might find you feel a little differently....gratitude and love will surge back for yourself and the universe... ♥♥♥

I am feeling so much better. A few handfuls of macadamia nuts and lots of water later and I don't think I will be able to eat lunch at this point!

I am very grateful to be sober and abstinent and to have had this entire week of peace to paint and get things done (both boys in school.) After Friday I will have my son with me the entire summer- eek!! My 6 year old will go to camp :)

Love you- hope you are smiling today...are you studying?

Sunflowerlife 06-07-2018 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 (Post 6919552)
Hope you're doing a little better now, SFL.....you can always crank up some of your favorite music while painting! (Just don't do like I would and play air drums at the same time, then there's paint flying all over the place! lol) :09:

Hey friend- I am doing so much better, thank you!!

So I am on a stand -up comedy kick for whatever reason. I put Netflix on my phone (since the TV is off the wall now that I'm painting) and hook it up to a speaker. My favorite so far has been John Mulaney- so good! Now I'm listening to Mike Birbiglia.

Air drums and painting do not go hand in hand I'm afraid lol!! But I do love music and singing :)

Hope you're having a great day!

Sunflowerlife 06-07-2018 09:18 AM

I'm procrastinating. I've barely cut paint into the ceiling (taping it off took forever). Need to get off my butt and get back in there!

venuscat 06-07-2018 09:22 AM

Procrastinating here too...actually, just being lazy. Very tired. Started my course last night. Happy. Just doing some housework. Think I will put Bold and the Beautiful on while I clean..... :)

Sunflowerlife 06-07-2018 03:03 PM

Ceiling is done and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Tomorrow I paint the accent wall and I have no idea what to do about the windows- I painted the trim yesterday and am not happy with how it turned out (very streaky.) But I really don't want to sand and redo it!

I did not eat as clean as I would have liked today but I am okay with that. I think my goal is to abstain from compulsive overeating for now, and maybe over time that will mean no sugar/flour. I have heard stories of people in OA being told they must start over if they have a bite of sugar and I don't want to put that type of pressure on myself. I ate a leftover piece of my son's cookie. There was no reason for me to eat it and I know I didn't need it- it was just mindless eating.

But, I didn't binge afterwards, I just moved on with my day- I made crackslaw again for dinner and it was even better than the first time! Cabbage, garlic, sesame oil, tamari, green onion, chili flakes, tofu and macadamia nuts. So filling too- cabbage is my new favorite vegetable.

Hope everyone is doing well tonight and hope to hear from you all...

Sunflowerlife 06-07-2018 04:54 PM

Who was I kidding? That was my AV talking. A bite of cookies turned into so much more. Not a huge binge but definitely not mindful and controlled eating. Oh well. Now I feel like crap and I’m of course I’m mad at myself. Funny thing is I didn’t enjoy it at all. I just wanted it to be over with. Sigh. I guess in a way that is an improvement. Back to the drawing board. No more bites of leftover food from the kids.

topspin 06-07-2018 04:55 PM

Sounds like a wonderfully productive day Sunflower !

The crackslaw sounds delicious .

I've always given myself a break when it comes to one coat coverage ,...like cutting in walls , for instance . The second coat goes especially fast ,..and is stress free because I never have to worry about cutting a super- accurate line the second coat . ( if that makes sense ? )
Have you trimmed the windows with semi gloss ?

Latex ?

Hopefully you're stroking with a Wooster or Purdy brush . Quality brushes ,...and / or higher quality paint are a little like good knives to a professional chef .

It's never good when a painter or chef become frustrated with their tools ?!

Hopefully the prospect of a second trim coat will seem welcome ,...and satisfying when the sun comes up tomorrow . :)

Sunflowerlife 06-07-2018 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by topspin (Post 6920014)

Sounds like a wonderfully productive day Sunflower !

The crackslaw sounds delicious .

I've always given myself a break when it comes to one coat coverage ,...like cutting in walls , for instance . The second coat goes especially fast ,..and is stress free because I never have to worry about cutting a super- accurate line the second coat . ( if that makes sense ? )
Have you trimmed the windows with semi gloss ?

Latex ?

Hopefully you're stroking with a Wooster or Purdy brush . Quality brushes ,...and / or higher quality paint are a little like good knives to a professional chef .

It's never good when a painter or chef become frustrated with their tools ?!

Hopefully the prospect of a second trim coat will seem welcome ,...and satisfying when the sun comes up tomorrow . :)

Hey thanks Topspin. I do use a Wooster and semi gloss but it just felt so thick and goey. I actually hadn’t thought about doing a second coat for some reason. I guess that’s what it needs! I am also debating painting the actual windows dark blue like the accent wall. I found some really cool pictures online of windows with white frames but black trim on the inside (not sure I have my terminology right.)

These windows are really old and need to be cleaned up first so I’m going to google all that good stuff tomorrow after I paint the accent wall. This is how these projects end up for me. I go into it thinking it will be relatively easy and then I try to do every little detail that wasn’t in my original plan. Call it inspiration or just plain crazy!