SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of December 09 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/190055-class-december-09-a.html)

noubledegative 03-08-2010 08:31 PM

well done least!!
:You_Rock_

tommorrow is for me...100days :D
woohoo

been feeling pretty settled the last 2 weeks,

tis good

noubledegative 03-09-2010 11:08 AM

100days!

never woulda thought...thank for your help guys
:c011:

seeker7 03-09-2010 08:34 PM

Congratulations to all of you!

blackbirdsing, it's so nice to enjoy normal life, isn't it? My thoughts have occasionally drifted to wondering if I could take one drink and not get sucked in again. That is definitely me forgetting how horrible it was.

Glad to have you guys here to help bring me back to reality!

least 03-10-2010 04:56 AM

I'm so glad to live in a sober reality, instead of the lies and deceit and hiding and missing out on life. Living sober really rocks!!:scoregood

blackbirdsing 03-10-2010 05:15 PM

Yes it does!! Congrats to us all on another day:ghug3

least 03-12-2010 05:41 AM

Still here. Still sober. Still enjoying it!:)

blackbirdsing 03-13-2010 02:58 PM

85 days today!! another added bonus... i'm now 25 pounds lighter:) not really trying; but not drinking has also eliminated the late night eating...
eating healthier too, growing an all organic garden this year- started tons of seeds: herbs, veggies, flowers. first little guys sprouted today!
thinking of you all...:ring

lionheart 03-13-2010 05:53 PM

Way to go people...i dont get in this thread very often but good to see some familiar names pop up here...

Im 85 days...wow, one day at a time really does add up hey!

Ive had good days and bad days and am probably slow on the seeing things better thing. I mean, I can see things are better but not that clearly yet. Im in no rush - I am sober today :)

augustwest 03-14-2010 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by blackbirdsing (Post 2540736)
85 days today!! another added bonus... i'm now 25 pounds lighter:) not really trying; but not drinking has also eliminated the late night eating...
eating healthier too, growing an all organic garden this year- started tons of seeds: herbs, veggies, flowers. first little guys sprouted today!
thinking of you all...:ring

Way to go!!! I can really relate to your post. I've got 77 days today and have lost 36 pounds since getting clean. I eat very healthy food, mostly organic vegetables and grains and exercise regularly. Life has never been better.

Congrats to everyone for another day clean and serene! Namaste.

noubledegative 03-14-2010 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by augustwest (Post 2541286)

Way to go!!! I can really relate to your post. I've got 77 days today and have lost 36 pounds since getting clean. I eat very healthy food, mostly organic vegetables and grains and exercise regularly. Life has never been better.

Congrats to everyone for another day clean and serene! Namaste.

me 3!

well, havt lost much weight (didnt have it to lose) but am pretty much living of fresh raw veges, fresh juices & other health products (cacao, spirilina, barley grass, hemp seed etc) no saturated fats, no dairy & very little meat. (havnt had any in the last month)

I am feeling great for it...some of you might remember in an earlier post, i mentioned i have fibromyalgia chronic pain & take +/_ 16 pain pills a day for it.
i blame the 12 years of drinking and poor diet for my condition.

well good news i havnt taken any medication in 1 month :) and am improving daily. i contribute the raw diet, alcohol avoidance & exercise (qi gong) to this to the improvement.

also, and this is interesting, I dont mean to sound preachy but it has made such a huge difference to my sobriety.

Over the last 3 months ive have eaten an amazing diet and my cravings for booze have all but disappeared. there were 2 weeks in the middle where i became complacent with my diet & started eating SUGAR and EMPTYCARBS (bread, pasta, noodles etc.) again, basically back to my normal diet. heres the thing! My craving for booze came back like a steam roller, my mood changed i got moody & unhappy and the pain started coming back. I ALMOST drank, look a few pages back and you'll prob see my state of mind, was not good at all. Anywayz a good friend of mine helped me get back on track with the diet & 2 weeks later i was absolutely fine again.

The direct link between healthy raw food & state of mind, especially cravings, happyness, contentment. is PROFOUND imo

just saying :)

one AA meeting i went to it was someones 4 year sobriety birthday & they were handing round a HUGE bowl of lollies while everyone was sharing, i think pretty much everyone ate like 5 + lollies, some people were guttsing em down (handfulls) this disturbed me as it seems highly addictive behaviour. why AA encourages this behaviour (and ive seen it at numerous different meetings) i am baffled!

my personal experience pver the last 3months has shown to me that sugar makes you crave and unhappy etc etc. AA should get with the times & incorporate a diet aspect to the program.

also interestingly enough, i relayed on AA initially to get me sober and i am gratefull for its help. But with my new life choices dietwise, exercise wise & also being honest with myself. I think i no longer need AA. I havnt been to a meeting in 1 month...& had no problems. In fact my resolve is stronger. I will never drink again. The only reason i think ill maybe go back to the odd meeting is to maybe help other strugging alcoholics. abnd perhaps hint here an there that the coffee, biscuits & lollies so prominent in AA may in fact be keeping them "craving" and "unhappy"

end rant.

have a good one & stay strong
nd

Dee74 03-14-2010 02:59 PM

just catching up....
way to go guys! :D

D

seeker7 03-15-2010 09:14 AM

Congrats to all of you to making all those positive changes. Very inspiring!

ND, that's cool that you don't have to take medication anymore. Your post is very motivating! In fact, I'm changing my lunch plans because of it.

blackbirdsing 03-15-2010 12:09 PM

I agree Seeker, I found both ND and august's posts extremely inspirational... I think I'm ready to do a little raw food fast.

noubledegative 03-15-2010 03:45 PM

Thats awesome guys! :)
let me know how it goes.

augustwest 03-18-2010 05:54 AM

Whoa, can't let this thread languish on page 3. How's everyone doing today?

least 03-18-2010 06:23 AM

100 days sober today!! Woo hoo!!

augustwest 03-18-2010 06:54 AM

Way to go least! I'm closing in on 90 myself. Ain't life grand?

So what are you guys doing for your recovery that's working? What's not working?

blackbirdsing 03-18-2010 03:25 PM

100 days is awesome! Pushing 90 Rocks too- I think I'm at 90 myself today. (either 90 or 91) Need to go back and count, because if I'm at 91 today that will mean I celebrate 100 days on my 33rd birthday, and there is some magic in that if you ask me.

Good question August. One thing that works for me, that soothes the ragged edges, is music. Here's a song that speaks of the beauty of recovery.

Neil Young, Light A Candle Lyrics

Instead of cursing the darkness,
Light a candle for where we're going,
There's something ahead, worth fighting for.

When the light of time is on us,
You will see our moment come,
And the living soul inside will carry on.

It's a chance to give new meaning to every move we make,
In the cavern, in the cave, where we come from.

When the light of dawn is on us,
We will see what we can be,
And the ancient ones can sleep an easy sleep

In the hallways of the ages, on the road to history,
What we do now will always be with us.

It's a chance to give new meaning to every move we make,
In the caverns, in the caves, where we come from.

Instead of cursing the darkness,
Light a candle for where we're going,
There's something ahead, worth looking for.

When the light of time is on us,
We will see our moment come,
And the living soul inside will carry on.

Light a candle in the darkness,
So others might see ahead,
Light a candle in the darkness, when you go.

Light a candle in the darkness,
So others might see ahead,
Light a candle in the darkness, when you go.

blackbirdsing 03-18-2010 03:51 PM

Ima try this, not sure if it will work:

augustwest 03-19-2010 06:45 AM

Ahh, music sweet music! What a wonderful point you've made blackbirdsing. Music is such a crucial part of my life. I do not know what i'd do without it. Between playing guitar, listening as much as possible every day, and going to as many shows as i can....It's a vital part of my recovery, my spirituality, my life....

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ~Berthold Auerbach

Music is what feelings sound like. ~Author Unknown

Without music life would be an error. ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

I've recently finished reading Deepak Chopra's book Overcoming Addictions-The Spiritual Solution and he is adamant about musics vital role in the recovery process and life in general. It's a great book that touches on many things one can do to support their recovery. I recommend it.

Speaking of music, just yesterday i plopped down a bunch of cash to obtain phish tickets for this summer. I'll be going to Hartford, Conn., Saratoga Springs, NY, Raleigh and Charlotte, NC, and Atlanta, GA to attend 8 phish shows. I'm so excited and would never ever be able to do this in active addiction. Their music in particular speaks deeply to my very being in a way that i cannot really explain. And add the fact that Trey Anastasio, their guitar player, is in recovery and it's just a beautiful thing. WooHoo!!!

Other things that are working for me today in my recovery are meetings, step work with my sponsor, service work, exercise, eating healthy food, and twice daily meditation practice.

Things that aren't working for me are being compulsive about things other than drugs. That experience puts me right back in the same old mind set and i have to be very careful. Getting too tired or angry also are not good for me. I make poor decisions and find myself in an unhealthy headspace when this happens, in ways that don't have anything to do with using.

I'm truly learning through experience that my drug addiction was truly a symptom of my real problem- ME. But things are really good today. I'm incredibly grateful. All the best to you all. Namaste.