SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of December 09 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/190055-class-december-09-a.html)

augustwest 01-12-2010 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Stealthealer (Post 2483995)
Day 24....still nobody ouside SR knows.:headbange

After a hellaciously busy workday, I came home to serve as human trampoline/playmate for the rugrats. It's not that I don't love them, it just that when I would come home and down a couple, I seemed to have the extra power to propel me through until bedtime. After tuck-in, I was a literally a human zombie, having been awake since 4:30 that morning, and collapsed into bed at 8:45 pm.

I guess that got me to today, which is what matters most.

Best of luck to all today.

By the emoticon you appear frustrated that nobody knows that you've gotten clean. Have you considered a support group or joining one of the 12 step fellowships? It works for me. I can't imagine doing this **** alone. I'm sure that it can be done and have no judgements toward those that do, but having support and community really helps me through this.

Whatever you do, i wish you all the best. Namaste.

blackbirdsing 01-12-2010 06:59 AM

"Taking what i read/practice in meditation to my daily life is what i'm attempting to do. One exercise in Pema's book that i'm using is to pause and take 3 breaths to become present before i drive, log onto my computer at work, answer the phone, etc.. Especially when i find stress or resentment, anger, come up during the day i attempt to pause, breathe, become present, let go. Let the thoughts cravings die a natural death without giving more life to them. I can honsetly say it's working when i choose to do this, but it's difficult to remember or be willing to pause rather than to get hooked into thought patterns."

This is awesome August, thank you so much for sharing.
Hoping I can remember to do this just once today, I'll get back to you:)

Pnewman 01-12-2010 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by augustwest (Post 2484149)
Crazy how that one drink sets off a chain reaction, huh? I had one margarita back in July after 5 months sober and within 2 weeks i was back to snorting 200-350mg of oxycontin a day and it took me 6 months to get clean again.

I have no delusions that i can control it anymore. I hope you've reached that point as well.

All the best...

I have came to the conclusion, that when I drink alcohol it controls me.
So the only way to control alcohol is to stay away, because we have a love-hate relationship.

Congrats on being sober.:c031:

augustwest 01-12-2010 07:54 AM

"This is awesome August, thank you so much for sharing.
Hoping I can remember to do this just once today, I'll get back to you"

Hey, it's my honor to share as so many have and are still doing the same for me...
Good luck with being mindful, present. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you...

augustwest 01-12-2010 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by blackbirdsing (Post 2484168)
"Taking what i read/practice in meditation to my daily life is what i'm attempting to do. One exercise in Pema's book that i'm using is to pause and take 3 breaths to become present before i drive, log onto my computer at work, answer the phone, etc.. Especially when i find stress or resentment, anger, come up during the day i attempt to pause, breathe, become present, let go. Let the thoughts cravings die a natural death without giving more life to them. I can honsetly say it's working when i choose to do this, but it's difficult to remember or be willing to pause rather than to get hooked into thought patterns."

This is awesome August, thank you so much for sharing.
Hoping I can remember to do this just once today, I'll get back to you:)

Originally Posted by unbrokenchain (Post 2484214)
That 3 breath pause sounds like the key moment one would want to focus on.
I mean for certain people drinking seems to be sparked at a particular time each day. Probably for most when they finish work or family duties for the day
and they feel, "It's my time now!" I'm at the stage where I can consciously anticipate that moment, sit and watch my mind ponder buying a drink, taking the 3 breaths, understanding it's not going to do anything and sometimes NOT
but sometimes buying the first drink. SOmetimes I think, I'm on the edge I can go either way and when I don't, I'm like< YEEEEAAAAAY! I made it.

But when I do I have the two and stop. Start drinking tea. I agree this moment where spark meets flame has to be reflected upon, needs to be recognized before one can 3 breath pause, and lastly it needs to be SEEN
that going thru with the act is not going to do anything to help matters.

3 phases for me and just recognizing it took the most time.

The technique is very powerful and most importantly IT WORKS! For me i have to pause, then let go. I simply cannot allow myself to indulge my cravings for alcohol/drugs because i know from longtime experience that just one will lead be back to the horrible depravity of a junkie's life. But the key is that whateever works for each person!

This technique works great for stress, anger, and resentments. For me, those things trigger the drug taking pattern of thought/behavior, and they're generally unhealthy too.

Nice to see you back unbrokenchain. We didn't meet before but i read your post about leaving. Are you a grateful dead fan btw? Your screenname would lead one to believe so, as would mine!

namaste

Stealthealer 01-12-2010 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by augustwest (Post 2484153)
By the emoticon you appear frustrated that nobody knows that you've gotten clean. Have you considered a support group or joining one of the 12 step fellowships? It works for me. I can't imagine doing this **** alone. I'm sure that it can be done and have no judgements toward those that do, but having support and community really helps me through this.

Whatever you do, i wish you all the best. Namaste.

Thanks, Augustwest...but like Groucho Marx once said, "I would never join a club that would be willing to have me as a member." Let's just say a local "coming out" would be professionally disasterous...possibly even stressing me to the point of a detour to the liquor store. My options are (a)leave the area for a meeting or (b)anonymously type away around here. Option (a) is impossible as my work and home schedules are pretty rigorous.

So far, I'm holding serve...but damn...mood swings and agitation even in day #24??!!

augustwest 01-13-2010 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by unbrokenchain (Post 2484726)
Thanks for sharing that technique. It appeals to me being kind of like a form of meditation. Watching the thought arising, "to have a drink" but not activating the thought, or getting lost in it. Thoughts are merely straw dogs, no flame no game.

I'm back, never gone but I haven't abstained completely as was the original plan from Jan 1, yet I haven't exceeded 2 a day and working towards 1 by february.

"November and more as I wait for the score.
THEY TELL ME FORGIVENESS IS THE KEY TO EVERY DOOR
A slow winder day A NIGHT LIKE FOREVER
Sink like a stone, float like a feather."

:tyou

Yeah it's definitely a form of meditation. Same concept really but used in daily life. I'm reaping benefits daily....

"Thoughts are merely straw dogs, no flame no game."
Couldn't have said it better! That's the dang truth.

Good luck with everything. I'm certain you can find the balance you look for if you work for it. I'm going to see further in hampton, va in february and am stoked. Might be the last time to see phil and bobby play those songs of our own....

And this augustwest will get to attend a Wharf Rat meeting at the setbreak. That ought to be fun. Take care friend. Keep us posted.

Unbroken chain of sorrow and pearls, Unbroken chain of sky and sea.
Unbroken chain of the western wind, Unbroken chain of you and me....

blackbirdsing 01-13-2010 09:33 AM

It just occurred to me I am 30 days sober today. Rather than celebratory that realization makes me feel peaceful, dare I say the tiniest smidge of serenity is creeping in?
I think I might just be due for a little pampering today, I see a bubblebath in my near future:a122:

Big thanks to all of you!

lostmyway 01-13-2010 09:53 AM

Just an update...I'm still in the December class, but my date is the 28th, not the 9th as it had been originally...thanks to a little relapse I had after Christmas shopping with my mother in law :c020:

Anna 01-13-2010 09:59 AM

Blackbirdsing,

Pat yourself on the back and smile at your serenity today! Good for you!

Unbroken Chain,

I'm glad you are finding ways to deal with things. For me, walking was the answer, and it still is.

Lostmyway,

Hang in there, and I'm glad you're back!

LauraS 01-13-2010 05:57 PM

Two weeks tonight! Wednesday nights are all the wine you can drink night at a local restaurant and my husband and I have been regulars there for several years on that night.

So, tonight I really wanted to go there and kept thinking, oh, I'll just have some wine tonight and that will be all I drink.

Yeah, right!

So, it's water for me. I think we will still go, but I'll be the designated driver. I want this two weeks. I really do!

Everyone is doing well and it's so helpful to read all the posts here. Thank you all.

Anna 01-13-2010 06:01 PM

Congratulations on your two weeks, Laura!

55438 01-13-2010 08:20 PM

Hi all,

Still sober, so busy. Hockey two or three times a night is keeping me busy and sober.:-) Good to see you all are doing well or learning from not so good. There is so much support here.

Lack of sleep and depression still haunt me at times. It is good to have a group like this to connect with and learn from.

Thank you all,

LauraS 01-13-2010 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 55438 (Post 2485804)
Hi all,

Still sober, so busy. Hockey two or three times a night is keeping me busy and sober.:-) Good to see you all are doing well or learning from not so good. There is so much support here.

Lack of sleep and depression still haunt me at times. It is good to have a group like this to connect with and learn from.

Thank you all,

Hello 55438, I am glad you are staying busy. I've been extremely busy at work this week, which has really helped me and kept my focus off of not drinking. I am also still having some trouble with sleep, but it seems to be getting a little better.

This is a wonderful group and a real find for us all. Thanks for being here!

thirtybubba 01-13-2010 10:10 PM

Congrats Laura, Blackbird....

Welcome back all the people who tripped.

I'm still here. Still just getting through the days somehow. It's mighty boring here, at least till school starts I suppose. The internet is officially down, when I get it I get it.

Nothing in the vicinity, mostly industrial and farmland.

So I just sit here waiting for the evening when someone will pick me up to go to the meetings. This is not a fun way to spend my days, and the fight is getting harder. Nobody to talk to. Sponsor says read big book. I think I'll do that tomorrow, but I can already see where this will lead. Everyday just read big book. Heck, she told me.

So now I got a make work project that will never end.

Sorry to be depressing. I want someone to talk to. But it's late. And I don't really have a pressing issue, just lonely as all get out. As soon as the people figure out I'm not in serious jeopardy they tend to thank me for calling and tell me they'll see me on whatever day.

Just keep going I guess.

Take care.
TB