SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of July 2015 Part 7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/375473-class-july-2015-part-7-a.html)

KeyofC 09-22-2015 06:32 AM

Hey all! I have been kind of quiet here because it seems something has changed as far as the settings on the page in this forum and it makes it real hard for me to read on my phone or on a desktop computer. Has anyone else noticed this or am I the only one? None of the other forums are doing this but this one.
Hope everyone is doing well..I am doing super!
((Hug)) to all! Happy Tuesday!

toadie54 09-22-2015 07:15 AM

KofC, It's just because someone posted a huge photo, causes width problems on the page it's displayed on.

Too bad the site doesn't automatically reduce photos uploaded to manageable sizes like other social media websites.

KeyofC 09-22-2015 07:47 AM

Ohh good to know! Now it's back to normal thank goodness! it was so small on my iphone there was no way for to even try to read anything..Lol (old has nothing to do with it...I am young Lol)
Thanks Toad!

Cbf123 09-22-2015 08:51 AM

Hello folks!

Day 4 progressing smoothly here. I'm in work today but off tomorrow, but I won't be touching any alcohol!!!

A visit to the doctors in the morning followed by a nice afternoon with my daughter is on the cards. Looking forward to it. Hope all is ok with you all.

Haven't heard much from you TS and Toki - everything ok?

Ang - great to see you checking in. Glad you aren't drinking! :-)

Tooshabby 09-22-2015 03:54 PM

Hi guys. Been pretty stressed out lately with work. Feeling a bit overwhelmed and questioning my ability...putting things off. One very positive thing though, is that I feel like I may have turned some kind of corner with drinking. I just feel that I can see much more clearly how drinking makes things worse, and even though I'm stressed, I don't feel tempted for that reason. Still very wary though.....

That 'tiny pic' (that is, huge photo) was funny. I did that on another thread, but the image was about 3 times the size of that one. You can imagine. I managed to delete it pretty quickly, but not before I laughed my head off :-D

tokidoki 09-22-2015 05:47 PM

Hi Julyers,

Hope all is well. Sounds pretty good.

Yeah, stressing about social obligations and work is tough. I'm dealing with the same kind of thing. Our department in the school district is having a bit of a "do" on Thursday. There are just five of us teachers but there will be many administrators and board members there. So much hoopla. We teachers had a meeting *all day* yesterday about this 'do'. Now I see that I didn't post here and remember why. Last night I had a migraine 'aura' and couldn't see well. Was lucky that it didn't turn into a full-blown headache.

Letitgo, I like your pic. Is that near your house?

Have a good evening/day everyone!

Upwardspiral 09-22-2015 07:47 PM

Checking in late on day 65. I felt good today at work, skilled and knowledgeable. It's getting easier to make a connection with people once I'm able to set aside my initial anxiety about being unable to help or please them.
I went to a good meeting tonight where we discussed fear and insecurity, how timely. I did not secure a sponsor :( I will try to be less of a shrinking violet at tomorrow night's meeting.
Hope you're all doing well, happy Wednesday to you!

I just have to tag this on. I went to a board meeting with my bike advocacy group last night which was held at a tavern. We sat at a long table and everyone but me had a pint of beer. And I was okay. I was one of the first to leave after it was over but I did stick around as people got more beer so I could clear up a few questions. It didn't really bother me and I didn't dwell on it afterwards. This felt really good.

tokidoki 09-23-2015 01:29 PM

Yikes, need to bump this up because I couldn't find us on the first page.

I'm feeling better, or at least more philosophical. Will write more later. Hope everyone is doing okay.

Upwardspiral 09-23-2015 07:07 PM

Thanks Toki.

I haven't been very philosophical lately. I'm trying to stay up on this pink cloud and skim over a lot of heavy stuff that I know is still there in my heart, waiting. I'm a little scared of facing it, scared it's gonna really challenge what has so far been a fairly easy time. I'm going to more AA meetings every week, I think trying to get myself in a place where I can safely begin to dig into some bottled up pain.
That being said, I'm really loving sober life, and it's only just begun.
Hope y'all are all well.

letitgo 09-23-2015 07:19 PM

Glad you are well Upward.
Been a busy week thats flying by. Yes that picture was at a pond near my house.
Nothing new with me really. Checking out some new threads on sr. Really great stuff on here. Day 81 and its to be expected. Urges are here and there. Pretty minor for the most part. Feeling fine about the wedding. Not worried about drinking there. More nervous to go without drinking. So mindset is to be social sober. I will let ya you know. 2 days till Friday. Have a good one!

Dee74 09-23-2015 07:27 PM

You'd find it hard to forgive yourself if you drank at the wedding letitgo. Avoid that angst! :)

D

letitgo 09-23-2015 07:32 PM

Very true Dee. I would feel hangover and be depressed all day Sunday. Then probably stay sober for 2 days and start the drinking cycle again Tuesday or Wednesday.

Not worth it.

fantail 09-23-2015 08:20 PM

Day 72 here.

My first love got married a couple weeks ago and today was the day I felt it. Whoooooosh. It is pretty incredible how delicate and layered sober emotions are. It's like I've been listening to power chords for years and then went to a really, really good harp concert. Just all of those feelings of this very unique moment in my life -- so much happiness for him, so much nostalgia for our time together, so much sadness and loss, so much pride in my self and my life, and aging! and the meaning of it! and the human heart! and the meaning of love! yada yada yada yada....

I went to an amazing giant arboretum/botanical garden west of the city and just walked around feeling. By the end I was just blissful (even if now I've got a wash of the saudade again).

TS, like you I feel like some kind of corner has been turned in my thinking... I woke up today knowing my day was going to be colored because I had a big sweet and melancholic dream about him last night. Without thinking about it I got everything I needed to do out of the way ASAP so I could go to yoga and be outside... I think I would have handled it similarly a month ago but more in a rote "This is what I do to make sure I don't drink" kind of way. This time it was a natural reaction to seeing that I was Having The Feels. Good instincts! Where did those come from!

Anyway yeah. Feelings, damn. They are so incredibly overwhelming and so pretty, too. This has been a Very Human Day.

Tooshabby 09-23-2015 08:58 PM

Beautiful post, Fantail. I love the 'from power chords to harp concert' analogy.

O.m.g. an all day meeting about one do?! No wonder you had a headache, Toki!

Letitgo...the last wedding I went to I didn't drink and I was amazed that I had such a great time. I wasn't worried about what I'd said and could remember conversations. Good conversations too, not drunken ones. The idea that we can't have fun without drinking is such AVBS. Did I just coin that acronym? I'll put a patent on it if so :-)

Fantastic about the meeting, Upwards!

Love to all Julyers :-)

Dee74 09-23-2015 09:34 PM

I had to resize the pic letitgo - having to scroll to read posts was too much work lol

D

Cbf123 09-24-2015 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5570423)
I had to resize the pic letitgo - having to scroll to read posts was too much work lol

D

Hello guys, hope everyone is doing ok? Will have a proper read through later

letitgo 09-24-2015 04:04 AM

AVBS exactly.

Than5k for resizing the pic. I am excited to share some more smaller ones ofcourse :).

BringingBackB 09-24-2015 04:34 AM

Hello guys. Checking in from work, on my lunch break.

Day 71 (I think!) I'm just counting months now. I have another interview tomorrow, possibly 2 if I keep up my hassling of people ha. I'm still waiting to hear back about Mondays but hoping for the best. Some job stability would help me immensely right now.

Apart from that I'm doing well. Still sleeping like a log. I'm enjoying the routine of being 'ok' each day. I don't find myself dreading the next day anymore. Nothing that can happen to me today is going to make me drink, and that feels good.

Cbf123 09-24-2015 07:39 AM

So glad you guys are all doing well. I feel quite down at the moment. Wondering why I can't shake this falling back to bad habits. I'm on day 5 now, but I'm feeling worried rather than positive. Must keep checking in here.

I have so much to be thankful for, but I feel slightly out of sorts with myself. Really need to just stay positive.

I wish we all lived in the same time zone! Difficult to keep track of everyone on here at times. Do any of you guys visit any other parts of the forum? Might help to introduce myself in other places for when those on the other side of the world are asleep :-). Extend the support network as it were (not that I don't appreciate you guys!!)

Tooshabby 09-24-2015 04:43 PM

BBB....you are doing SO well. Sounding really strong :-)

Cbf....there are always really good threads going under the Alcoholism section. Apart from Cow's thread they tend to be like Newcomers in that they are one offs though and die a natural death after a given number of posts. It sounds like you're looking for something where you can get to know people. There is Weekenders....I'm thinking about joining that. The posts tend to be pretty short and sweet but there is a lot of camaraderie there by the looks. Hang in there, cbf....brighter days ahead. Stick close :-)