SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year & Under Club Part 26 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/317819-one-year-under-club-part-26-a.html)

tootsl1 01-07-2014 01:44 PM

MB that's really good news about the job, and you never know where it may lead. I feel SR is a form of therapy, we are able to be open and honest here about ourselves, partly because we can maintain our anonymity, and partly because others trust us with their bared souls. I have said things to friends here, I couldn't share with anyone else, because I don't believe anyone else could quite understand. And I have also found the humour in the horror that was my life, because finding a commonality here, we realise we are not strange, or odd or a freak. I never thought I could laugh about hiding bottles or throwing up, or embarrassing myself, but here, I found I could. Also we are finding ways of working through some of the reasons behind our relationship with alcohol, we may have ended up in its thrall, but each one of us had reasons for early reliance on it, and are finally beginning to explore them. Again in a safe environ.

Babs1234 01-07-2014 02:15 PM

you said it all Toots. Right on. thanks:dance:
Babs

walkingwithgod 01-07-2014 02:58 PM

Hi Undies, day 270. Feeling a bit down today, not sure why. This freezing weather stinks. I can't wait until summer. But, I'm sober and have a great life. For some reason I got mad because my wants to make a big turkey dinner this weekend. What is wrong with me? I'm not used to normalcy. Sorry to ramble.

Matthew

walkingwithgod 01-07-2014 02:59 PM

Congrats on the job MB.

soberjim 01-07-2014 04:06 PM

Hey MB..great news!
WWG..nothing wrong with you.....just living is all..and me...well I am frozen....really frozen....so I am with you on the whole winter thing...

Dee74 01-07-2014 04:08 PM

we all have down days Matthew - I think it's very very normal :)

heya Jim :)

D

courage2 01-07-2014 10:39 PM

MB big congratulations on the job! I'm impressed that you achieved that while you were coping with so much else. :scoregood

WWG -- I totally agree w/Dee & Soberjim -- you just sound simply human. I think the difference between drunks and non-drunks is that non-drunks don't assume that a bad day (winter blues, annoying spouses, etc etc) can be eradicated by drinking. If you need to vent or whine, go right ahead!

Toots, please don't tell anyone else that SR is therapy, or my health care plan will limit my number of visits lol. And for sure, I'm not yet cured!

tootsl1 01-07-2014 10:50 PM

Hey, I'm with you on that one WWG, I'd push for lobster thermidor. I don't mean to trivialise, just to point out that not everything we do or feel is to do with our recovery, my husband has no addiction issues whatsoever, and can be a right miserable git at times, it is normal to get mad, sad, happy, sulky, angry etc. you are beginning to recognise these emotions, and need to figure the appropriateness of them at the particular time. For example, are you really pissed off at the weather and the turkey dinner just pushed your button? Again, very normal, very natural, but if you want to be a better husband, think about your moods and whether you are aiming them at the right person or the easy target. When we get stressed with life's events, we often take it out on our nearest and dearest because they are safe. How is the new job going? Do you feel pressured or stressed? Are there any underlying issues at home?
This is a good opportunity for us all to look at our moods, and the relevance of them. Feeling things in sobriety is a novelty, and learning to deal with those moods and their effects on our relationships is part of maturing ( something we manage to avoid in active addiction.having studied psychotherapy and counselling, I am fascinated with how people interact. We can all ( and by that I mean human beings, not just RAs ) learn to recognise why we are feeling what we are feeling, and also understand the root cause. This helps us to then explain our emotions to our loved ones rather than just take it out on them. And the word Sorry was invented for a reason, it is healthy to own an emotion and apologise for it.

SJ I have a vision of you waddling around in a block of ice my poor frozen friend. And poor Jimmy!!! Does he have doggy thermals?? Michtie me! Now I will worry about him all day!

For all my poor frozen north friends, you will be happy to know I have arranged some warmer weather for when I come over on 22nd. :winter6 :winter1

tootsl1 01-08-2014 12:30 AM

Haha courage our posts crossed, I shouldn't say it too loud anyway, Dee may start charging us the going rate!!! As for cured, wouldn't that require reaching perfection??? :lmao

Gilmer 01-08-2014 03:03 AM

WWG, I know from experience that turkey dinners come and go. Even if your wife goes through with it, it'll all be a thing of the past by Monday! We love when you post, good mood or bad.

IWLSAST 01-08-2014 03:42 AM

Good Morning Undies,

Hey Toots, that is some dyno stuff you laid out on the table. I heard an interesting share two nights ago about the insanity of alcoholism. As many of you know, I follow the 12 step principals. The second step tells me that "we came to believe that a power greater than ourselves can restore us to sanity."

So this fellow says that he hears people share in meetings about their drunkalogs and how they must be insane. He said, "that's not the insanity, that's plain crazy. And we all have done many crazy things when active in our addictions. The insanity comes from us then picking up another drink, expecting that the outcome will be favorable. We will be able to drink normal again." Yes, I totally agree. I have taken that first drink of a run expecting completely different outcomes, when all along, I knew the eventual outcome.

Well, it is about 6:15 and I am sitting out on my balcony getting ready for an action packed day. I won't bore you with all the details, but at the last minute I chose to come to St Thomas and not St Croix. It is easier to ferry to the other islands from here as a home base. This morning I hope to finalize a deal at a bed and breakfast on the beach at St John next week.

I will send you a picture of a ship docking from outside my balcony. In a few days one of the ships arriving will be carrying my high-school sweetie now living in Atlanta. How crazy is that? She is on a cruse with some girlfriends and will be here for a day. We will do some serious beach hanging, I plan to cook dinner (some really healthy stuff), then some foot stomping.

Hope to check in again soon.

Carlos xx

Oh well, this internet service won't let me upload photos. Just add that to my Verizon smart phone not working. Still some MINOR tech issues to sort out. Bottom line, I've got the time.

IWLSAST 01-08-2014 03:44 AM

Oh, MB...WOW, congrats on the position. You sounded real happy! Kudo's, my dear!!!

Gilmer 01-08-2014 03:49 AM

What fun about your high school sweetheart, Carlos! . You sound so happy in the islands already, tech issues or not! At least you can post to us at SR!

walkingwithgod 01-08-2014 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 4394987)
WWG, I know from experience that turkey dinners come and go. Even if your wife goes through with it, it'll all be a thing of the past by Monday! We love when you post, good mood or bad.

I told my wife right after I wrote my post I was sorry for getting mad over nothing. It seems that I'm just looking for a reason to be unhappy at times. My wife wanted to make a turkey dinner with all the trimmings, and my response was to get mad. I look back and laugh, what a nut I am. I should be happy my wife wants to make great meal, and then use the leftovers for soup. Thanks for the responses undies. As we are trying to be more frugal and save money this turkey dinner is a great idea. Oh what an adventure sobriety is.

dorothyparker 01-08-2014 06:13 AM

Hello everyone !

It's certainly crowded in the over thread. Lots of new people. I'm happy to be back here because it's more comfortable and intimate. ;) I'm familiar with everyone's issues, and everyone's familiar with mine so I thought I'd post quickly to say hello.

A friend is coming so that we can work on our linkedin page and encourage one another re. jobs. I have a meeting tomorrow that was set before the holidays and I'm hyped about it. The project is on cold fusion. And finally, the cheque for the Johnson adaptation is finally coming my way. I billed on November 22. I was so in need of it so a bit pissed off about it but normally I'd have enough to cover...

Carlos, finalise a deal with a B&B Lol!!! Hard to take the businessman out of the holiday equation isn't it. ;)

WWG, yes, you're human. Nothing wrong in being irrational at times, least you recognised it. You might want to explore more on what issues brought you there. Control issues, things going too well, bullying ?

Toots, how are things going with the preparations ? You,re leaving in less than 3 weeks. Then you'll be on this side of the ocean. Hurray!!!:) Give a kiss to Molly for me.

Have a great sober day.

DP
xoxoxo

Babs1234 01-08-2014 06:22 AM

ohh Toots you are a great counselor. I was just going to start the day off B----ing
about my home life and then after listening to WWG I too realized how stupid I was for thinking about even complaining. For heavens sake---I just saw the selfish side of me. So, that I don't leave you in the dark. My step daughter is suppose to fly in tomorrow night and to make a long story short. We have issues and have had them for several years. But, I will be fine and thanks Toots for the heads up. I will get through all this just fine.
anyway,------It's still cold here in the Dakota's kinda getting use to it now.
Have a great day Undies.
Life is good.
hugs to all of you
Babs:wiggle:

DG0409 01-08-2014 08:54 AM

Well dear undies, I just thought I'd stop by to say, Today is 9 months no alcohol for me!!

What a journey it's been!! But it's been worth it!!!!

Toots, that smiley in the ice-cube is exactly how I feel! And it's much warmer here than other parts of the country. Please do hurry up with that warm weather you've promised to bring us!!

courage2 01-08-2014 09:04 AM

Congratulations, DG! :dance8::dance8::dance8:

Babs1234 01-08-2014 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by courage2 (Post 4395541)
Congratulations, DG! :dance8::dance8::dance8:

I agree with courage2----way to go . YAAAH WHOOOO
Bev:dance:

tootsl1 01-08-2014 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Congratulations DG, and thank you so much for you contributions to SR, I know a lot of members get a lot of pleasure from your posts and threads