SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Waking up to a SOBER WEEKEND - WEEKENDERS 24 - 27 January 2020 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/445232-waking-up-sober-weekend-weekenders-24-27-january-2020-a.html)

STDragon 01-26-2020 06:28 AM

Hope you don't go lunar. I love all the pics here. The most exotic pet I had was a Water Dragon, he was an adult rescue and was only with us for a year or so, but the most interesting animal I've ever met.

My Daughter want's a pet rat, but we can't convince Mrs D. to allow it. LOL, it was hard enough getting the hamsters....

lunar 01-26-2020 06:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
`

Cityboy 01-26-2020 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by lunar (Post 7368267)
I was being a jerk, sorry to anyone I've offended.

Having tough times here, on a personal level, not your concern.

Glad you're sticking around.

We've had a few short term pets that would not be considered mainstream.

We caught a huge preying mantis and kept it for a while in a fish aquarium that we turned into a habitat. It was fun but kind of horrifying to drop crickets in there and watch it immediately attack and devour them.

We had a hickory horn devil, really big caterpillar, that was cool.

venuscat 01-26-2020 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cityboy (Post 7368249)
As to SR being full of politics/conflict. As part of my letting go of the daily stress and anxiety, I quit visiting a forum that was probably a contributing factor. SR does not have 0.001% of the politics and conflict that characterized that site.

We have no politics full stop.....it is sensational. :) :hug: s xx

venuscat 01-26-2020 06:55 AM

Hey lunar love.....PM if you like (I already did :)) and maybe we can talk about what is going on with you. I mean, if you don't want to go into it on the thread. :hug: s

I grew up in Phillip Island Vic Australia with spiders and snakes and sand crabs and dragon flies and so many other things....koalas and kookaburras, cows, seals, sea lions.... :)

The only thing(s) that scare me are snakes, but only in Australia really. And then just the Tiger snake and Brown snake, and I grew up with both of those.

I still remember the tiger snake in our house when I was 4 years old....as terrifying as it was (great story for another day, and I have posted it here before anyway), it was completely majestic. Over 3 feet long and the colours were just amazing.... :)

Fusion 01-26-2020 07:27 AM

Lunar, I'm glad you're staying. When I view your beautiful photos, I feel sad, because as a young boy my son always wanted a tarantula, a snake, and a water dragon, but I wouldn't allow it at home, and instead, as a compromise, we'd frequently visit the zoo, and he'd look, and hope. His friend had a wonderful Water Dragon that grew to nearly 3 feet, and he loved staying overnight there. I'm glad you're living your dream.

fishkiller 01-26-2020 07:31 AM

Lunar, glad you decided to stay!
That is one cool looking snake!
I am personally scared of snakes but do enjoy viewing them from afar.

Mags1 01-26-2020 07:58 AM

lunar, so pleased you’re here. I love your posts and pics. Sorry you’re going through a tough time. I hope things get better. :hug:

Mags1 01-26-2020 08:01 AM

Willow, brilliant pics, looks amazing.

Kaily, Alfie looks so comfy. :)

biminiblue 01-26-2020 08:13 AM

I'm sitting here on Sunday morning eating a hard boiled egg sandwich on whole wheat and having a half an orange. Feeling pretty content with myself. I sit back down here after my little breakfast and I'm looking out the window at the peaceful river and little ducks and waterfowl, bicyclists and runners and dog-walkers on the trail. Reading on SR.

Then [[shouting]] I look up and there are approximately 15 young guys in full military/camo gear running on the trail just outside. Huge rucksacks (also camo, but a different color of camo, not sure that's legit) huge - like they look like the backpacks weigh a hundred pounds.

Are we under attack? I don't have TV...I guess I'll find out soon enough. I didn't see any weapons... *Cheers* with my glass of water. :dunno:

jr67 01-26-2020 08:14 AM

Pop quiz (spoiler alert, answers appear below) (reposted by jr67 from a post he posted yesterday in a thread that does not get as much traffic as this one):

1. What proof was the booze that the SobeRlandian dumped down the drain?

2. Who sez?

3. Who am I?

(Musical interlude to give the contestants just a few moments to contemplate their answers. You have as much time as you want, or no time at all if that's what you want, to submit, or not submit, your reply.

What should we play for the musical interlude? How about the theme from Final Jeopardy, I think that lasts for thirty seconds. Is that enough time? Uh-oh I feel another question coming on.

4. A SobeRlandian who hails from the same country of birth as Alex Trebek.

(Quizzical interlude, during which one says to onseself:

Oh look, jr has revealed the clayiness of his feet. He said he felt another question coming on, but 4, above, is not a question at all. One does not see a question mark, does one? One wonders what jr would say to that?

jr is one of the ones who wonders what jr would say to that.

Let's have another musical interlude to give all of us a moment to wonder. How about this wondrous tune:

"Yesterday a child came out to wonder
Caught a dragonfly inside a jar
Fearful when the sky was full of thunder
And tearful at the falling of a star

And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return we can only look
behind from where we came
and go round and round and round
in the circle game

Then the child moved ten times round the seasons
Skated over ten clear frozen streams
Words like, When you're older, must appease him
And promises of someday make his dreams

And go round and round and round
In the circle game.

Sixteen years and sixteen summers gone now
Cartwheels turn to car wheels through the town
And they tell him, Take your time it won't be long now
Till you drag your feet to slow the circles down

In the circle game.

So the years spin by and now the boy is twenty
Though his dreams have lost some grandeur coming true
There'll be new dreams maybe better dreams and plenty
Before the last revolving year is through

In the circle game.

In the circle game."

https://youtu.be/V9VoLCO-d6U

Thank you for that, singer/songwriter.

5. Dear reader, can I borrow your handkerchief?

6. What is your name?

7. What country do you hail from?

Hold on, we're going in circles here. Let's see if we can unwrap this thing, shall we?

Ok, reader, you've had a few minutes to contemplate the questions and answers. If you haven't yet followed the link to play the song you are kindly invited to do so now.

We can wait.

We have nothing but time.

We are breathing, breathing for our lives.

All set? Here we go. Here come the answers:

Let's do them in reverse order, just for the fun of it:

7. Canada

6. Joni Mitchell

5. Sure, but you might find it a little damp. I mean, did you hear that song? Do you have a beating heart? Do you have a child, perhaps grown up? Are you a child, perhaps grown up? Maybe still growing?

4. Before we get to the answer, so to speak, let's hear jr try to weasel his way out of calling it a question but failing to include a question mark.

The weasly one speaks: We were playing the Jeopardy game, weren't we? In the Jeopardy game, for anyone who might not be familiar, the questions are in the form of answers, and the answers are in the form of questions. Confused? Blame the answer, meaning the answer to number 4, which, in conformity with Jeopardy rules, is in the form of a question. You don't want to be disqualified after coming this far, do you?

Ok. Ready?

4. [omitted]

Only three more questions, I mean answers, left.

3. I'm nobody / who are you? / Are you nobody too?

2. Is it jr? Well yes and no. It is jr, but this is supposed to be and answer, not a question, so you should have said, "The answer is jr," or if you were in a hurry, simply "jr."

1. Proof that the SobeRlander has the upper hand with the ethanol.

Extra:

Who knows where the time goes?

But we'll save that for later.

mariposa 01-26-2020 08:26 AM

Really a hard act to follow jr67, wonderful writing, but happy Sunday to all. Coconut almond milk is a delicious breakfast, and I’m almost ready to tackle the marathon of chores and errands I have today. Day 22, feeling 22 today 😄

Cityboy 01-26-2020 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by mariposa (Post 7368371)
Really a hard act to follow jr67, wonderful writing, but happy Sunday to all. Coconut almond milk is a delicious breakfast, and I’m almost ready to tackle the marathon of chores and errands I have today. Day 22, feeling 22 today 😄

Taylor Swift fan eh

Cityboy 01-26-2020 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 7368360)
I'm sitting here on Sunday morning eating a hard boiled egg sandwich on whole wheat and having a half an orange. Feeling pretty content with myself. I sit back down here after my little breakfast and I'm looking out the window at the peaceful river and little ducks and waterfowl, bicyclists and runners and dog-walkers on the trail. Reading on SR.

Then [[shouting]] I look up and there are approximately 15 young guys in full military/camo gear running on the trail just outside. Huge rucksacks (also camo, but a different color of camo, not sure that's legit) huge - like they look like the backpacks weigh a hundred pounds.

Are we under attack? I don't have TV...I guess I'll find out soon enough. I didn't see any weapons... *Cheers* with my glass of water. :dunno:

I had a buddy who had a buddy that was in US Army special forces and he said that his squad would go into parks sometimes and practice their concealment and hand signal techniques while stalking people. Kind of a disturbing thought eh.

Kaily 01-26-2020 09:34 AM

Thanks Sao, I have always wanted to go to Kew Gardens but never actually been. Even more reason to go now.

Bim I hope your Sunday morning peace hasn't been too disturbed by rampaging fit (handsome?) young men. Makes a change from watching ducks I guess. :wink3:

So Alfie and I walked 8.4 miles today, it took 3 hours which isn't bad going. Half the walk was along the river and the other half through farmland, nice.

biminiblue 01-26-2020 09:53 AM

Kaily, Yeah, I need to get out there. My walk yesterday was in the rain. That was nice, and I was pleasantly surprised to see lots of other people, dogs and horses out on the trail as well.

Today it's blue skies. Where shall I go? Not gonna be 8.4 miles. More like four. Four seems to be my happy place. Takes a little over an hour.

saoutchik 01-26-2020 12:44 PM

Those camo guys were probably from Starbucks paramilitary wing.

I did not know the other two but I remember I liked Soberpotamus so hello to her.

I'm reall glad you are staying Lunar, when it comes down to it we are a disparate group of people sharing a similar problem and I think that makes us stronger. I have read so much insight and knowledge on addiction on this sight that I would never have worked out on my own.

I had to get a tyre repaired today (slow puncture) I don't like repaired tyres but there was maybe 80-85% of the tread left so it will have to do for now.

saoutchik 01-26-2020 01:34 PM

I don't think I have posted any music so far this weekend so here is Spoonface and Black Legend with their tribute to Barry White.

https://youtu.be/MicSwhJcNxY

Willow00 01-26-2020 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by harriet11 (Post 7368261)
Well done on 148 days Lunar :c011:

Alfie is sooo cute Kaylie, sooo cuddlesome happyface:

Gorgeous photos Willow, never heard of a treetops walk before and first time I've seen a pic of one.

Yes, well done Lunar on148 days, that’s awesome :)
My ex bf used to keep all sorts of exotic pets, mostly snakes, some of which were really pretty.

I agree Alfie is super cute.

And I’m glad you liked the photos Harriet :hug:

Hawkeye13 01-26-2020 01:54 PM

Hi Lunar
I'm glad you are staying too--I love the pictures and I hope you keep sharing them.

Congrats on your sober time

Hello Everyone and I forgot to mention I'm in for a sober Sunday and week ahead :)