SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Stay sober Easter Weekender - we can all come back from the dead 14-17 April (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/407761-stay-sober-easter-weekender-we-can-all-come-back-dead-14-17-april.html)

PurpleKnight 04-16-2017 02:45 PM

Here's the video for the Belfast bid to host the World Championships Division 1B!! :)

Normancita 04-16-2017 02:45 PM

Hi everyone! Thought I'd join in as Sunday's are a trigger for me!

Hope everyone is having a good Easter!

PurpleKnight 04-16-2017 02:48 PM

Welcome to the Weekender thread Normancita!! :wave:

Soberwolf 04-16-2017 02:57 PM

Good luck Pk

Just watched the season 1 Broadchurch finale - Such a brilliant show

SteveAlex 04-16-2017 03:00 PM

Happy Easter everyone!

Venecia 04-16-2017 03:34 PM

Happy Easter to all who celebrate!

And Happy Monday to friends Down Under.

Holidays can be a vexing time for many of us. If you're struggling or a little blue, stick close to SR!

saoutchik 04-16-2017 03:39 PM

My plan is to live forever. 100% successful so far.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend, do let someone know if you are struggling.

Here in the UK it is a public holiday tomorrow. I have been invited by my German friend to a classic car show (in London) Now that I no longer own my old Lancia I get a bit envious when I see other people with them.

Time for bed.

mecanix 04-16-2017 03:46 PM

Hope everyone had a sober sunday ,

you get a chance to try again in the morning .

An active alcoholic is a hot emotional mess flapping like a fish in a net , it takes sober time and quite often external help to unpick yourself.

Mex-cat has miaowed in the corners , the ritual of the evening is over ,

goodnight , m

petals 04-16-2017 03:47 PM

Very emotional still.... had a lovely family dinner and still managed to feel sad and cry.... Just what is the matter with me!!!!
Anyway bedtime... Night all
Xx

BrendaChenowyth 04-16-2017 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by STDragon (Post 6413928)
I loose my wife to hockey every season. She's the big fan in our house.

It's too fast for me. I can't keep track of the puck and I just go cross eyed and stop trying to keep up.

Baseball too slow. We were watching a game today and it's like... they don't swing at anything! And then they analyze why the batter didn't swing at the pitch, and it's like, put me to sleep!!

Football is good. Many, many commercial breaks. The action is pretty short lived but exciting when you care about the team.

My city has great football and hockey teams. Crappy baseball, but I wouldn't watch it anyway.

Gilmer 04-16-2017 04:50 PM

I used to be wild about baseball when I was a kid. My dad used to watch it on TV when I was a little kid. But I didn't really get into it till the summer after 6th grade, when I discovered the Oakland As in the playoffs. I saw some on TV, but most of the time I went up to the attic and listened on my transistor radio (yes, I'm old. :sasmokin:).

The real appeal of baseball is being involved with the team throughout the ups and downs of the whole season: who's on a hitting streak and who's in a slump; who might set a record with homers.

With the Oakland As I was most riveted at my age with the fact that they had snazzy, avant-garde green and yellow uniforms--plus, the entire team had mustaches! I studied each player and got to like every one of them.

If you just pluck one game out of context, baseball is crushingly boring; but when you share the trials and triumphs of the whole season it's actually fascinating--and the cherry on top is when they win a nailbiter--especially if they do it with a grand slam!

My favorite teams were the early seventies As, the mid-seventies Red Sox (best but most heartbreaking World Series I ever saw), and the 1980 World Series champion Philadelphia Phillies (horsewhipped to victory by the great Pete Rose, who ABSOLUTELY belongs in the Hall of Fame, IMO :headbang: ). I also loved that astounding come from way behind series more recently when the Red Sox shocked the ever-smug Yankees!

But I don't follow baseball regularly anymore--and except for that one Red Sox series in the 2000s, I haven't since I was single.

I've been out of practice so long that even I find it hard to endure a whole game.

I will say, though, that it's a lot more fun live at the ballpark!

biminiblue 04-16-2017 05:36 PM

Live baseball games are the best. Or is it all the food choices?

You know me. :) Food? Squirrel?

Day at the beach, it was really nice to be in short sleeves and no coat. There was a raft of sea lions/seals that were pretty entertaining. Still no whales, and it was the perfect day to spot them, but they were elsewhere.

I'm having salsa chicken, beans and rice with avo and cheese for dinner. It's quick and - no chocolate bunny. I'll go buy on-sale Peeps tomorrow.

Night all. No drinking for me, and glad of it.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...aft-022785.jpg

BrendaChenowyth 04-16-2017 06:06 PM

So ready to go home.. such a long day..

STDragon 04-16-2017 06:13 PM

I don't really watch hockey either BC, I get a few glimpses here and there as I putter around the house and I'll pick up a few talking points from my wife. I get enough that I can fake it with guys the next day.

The one and only live baseball game I was at, our seats were in the sun and we didn't bring hats. My wife bought two of the local teams hats. No sooner did I get mine on when a foul ball was hit way up high and came down right on top of me. I caught the ball and must've looked like a real fan. Not sure where that ball is today. Must be around here somewhere.

Hi Normancita.
Hope you feel better after a good night sleep Petals. I'm about to hit the sack too.

Had a nice Easter dinner at the in-laws the little ones were very entertaining. So cute...

BrendaChenowyth 04-16-2017 06:24 PM

I worked and had dinner with my home care clients, their families came over.. so my client (the female of the couple) her sister's husband was quite strange.. he kept trying to get his son, 17, to taste some of the white wine he (dad) was drinking.. and the kid was just glued to his phone and sort of ignored him, really looked like he was hoping dad would bugger off.. Dad seemed overly insistent on his son trying this wine. It struck me as very weird. They were also so "touchy", the dad and the sons.

It doesn't top last Easter's experience.. but I won't get in to that.

BrendaChenowyth 04-16-2017 07:15 PM

Sometimes I think about threads after I post them and think "Why did I share that?"

The answer is I just don't have friends. I'm just saying.

JustTony 04-16-2017 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth (Post 6414248)
The answer is I just don't have friends. I'm just saying.

Hi Brenda.

I've read a few of your posts and responded to some.

Just a thought/observation/question - and it might be way off the mark?

Maybe you don't have any friends because you don't want any?

Tony

Soberwolf 04-16-2017 11:42 PM

You have us Brenda x

PhoenixJ 04-17-2017 12:29 AM

Yep

Myturnaround 04-17-2017 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by mecanix (Post 6412891)
I'm sober too Myturnaround :)

congratulations on a week , there must be lots of great things to do in Switzerland, summer is on the way .

Walking in the mountains with my Berner Sennenhund is a great joy!