SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Dont know why im drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/307613-dont-know-why-im-drinking.html)

kadidee 09-15-2013 11:24 AM

13, tomorrow is a new day. It's unfortunate that your hubby hasn't been more supportive and kept good on his word that he'd stop if you would. But let's think about your wellbeing--have you felt felt better in the time you were sober? You are the most important person in this struggle. Just want you to take good care of yourself even if it feels like others in your household aren't noticing or aren't helping. Cyber hugs to you.

Raider 09-15-2013 11:26 AM

Silent - good job with the smokes!
13 - I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't even have that for an excuse

Raider 09-15-2013 11:29 AM

Sorry I called you a " him" 13. I know it's hard with drinking spouses. I have one too

silentrun 09-15-2013 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Raider (Post 4182160)
Sorry I called you a " him" 13. I know it's hard with drinking spouses. I have one too

For me it would be impossible.

lommey 09-15-2013 11:37 AM

come on raider and 13 do this for yourselves. new start tomorrow

ImperfectlyMe 09-15-2013 11:44 AM

Hey 13:) you posted this on a fellow newbies thread:

Yknow what we've all done things we aren't proud of but the main thing is your back and trying again. Have you got a plan this time? Things to keep you busy and away from alcohol?

I want you to ask yourself the same questions!

13unluckyforsom 09-15-2013 12:07 PM

I do lol I could do housework and be mrs perfect housewife and mother of the year from now till doomsday I could do everything to perfection and nobody would even bat an eyelid!

I do all the time lol no one cares until I stamp my feet about something and then my problems suddenly 'the' problem what the hell! I'm not an idiot but I'm treated like one!

Hooped 09-15-2013 12:16 PM

Hey none of us would be here if we didn't want to quit and find a way out of the hole we are digging for ourselves.

We're alcoholics. That's what we do...drink.
It's unnatural for us NOT to drink.

When we consider it a 'fight' to try and stop, we are only bare knuckling it till our next relapse.

I have given up fighting.
I've surrendered.
The fight is over.
I am an alcoholic.
I can't drink.
That's the reality.

No more fighting, no more battles.
I finally feel at peace with it.

longbeachone 09-15-2013 12:17 PM

Maybe meeting with others in person is the missing link in your quest. It's worth a try, don't you think? If you are going to a place that has any kind of meeting (and there are meetings everywhere) maybe it would be easier than going to a meeting in your home town. Please, please try. I'm mentally using all of my powers of persuasion to push you to do this (I know, I know, but it's worth a try). C'mon Raider (AND 13), you can do this!

afloatsober 09-15-2013 12:25 PM

Most natural thing in the world is for an alcoholic to drink.
Sadly many do it to the gates of insanity or death.
When you want sobriety more than anything you have ever wanted in your life, you may get down to business.
Don't leave it too late eh?
Be safe
G

13unluckyforsom 09-15-2013 12:28 PM

Maybe - maybe - maybe - great word lol 'maybe' ill stop drinking - 'maybe' tomorrow - 'maybe' it's an illness - nah maybe I'm just sick lol maybe I do need help and maybe my best is never just quite good enough! Sober for 27 days but stillllllllllll he puts me down and I'm no good. I should never have got back with him. I knew it then and I know it now - but I stopped drinking as that was the supposed problem.... Clearly not!

13unluckyforsom 09-15-2013 12:29 PM

**** him **** this and **** life :)

foolsgold66 09-15-2013 12:30 PM

Ya know what 13, if your husband takes you for granted and doesn't care enough to help you it may be time to get rid of him rather than poison yourself.

mecanix 09-15-2013 12:32 PM

I could do housework and be mrs perfect housewife and mother of the year from now till doomsday I could do everything to perfection and nobody would even bat an eyelid!
Don't have to be Mrs perfect or Mum perfect , have to be sober you all for and by yourself, the rest ain't important because it will all be wrecked by drinking if we carry on imho .

m

ReadyAtLast 09-15-2013 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 13unluckyforsom (Post 4182134)
Nothing happened - that's the point - I bust a gut getting sober and then it's just back to being took for granted! Only when I'm not drinking I notice it all the more and I'm not one to stamp my feet fussing but I made my point to my other half and it was ignored so - what's the point if nothing in the rest of my life changes - except me - I'm giving more and everyone takes more basically!

sorry to hear you drank.When I eventually got sober I thought everything would be great after the first few horrible weeks. But it wasn't. For the first time in years I had to face real emotions that I had previously drunk to ignore.

It made me aware of various issues in my marriage,with family,friends and issues with myself that I'd ignored or blocked out for 20 years. It has been hard,still is at times but it is better than living the lie I was living, pretedning everything was fine and getting drunk to forget. Me quitting didn't change anyone else,just me. I've had to learn a lot about me.Life is still life,thereare bad days, people annoy me but it's a hell of alot better than it was

It is your life. The point is that only you can do this and you can only do it for you. YOU are worth being sober for. Drinking is only hurting you. By drinking tonight only you will be hurt,it doesn't matter to him. If your husband is taking you forgranted and you are unhappy in yourmarriage then by getting sober you can seethings clearly and do what is best for you and your child.

If you stop then you can really address the issues in your life. You can't control what you partner does, but you can decide what you want to do with your life and decide how you want to be treated. Bygetting sober yes you have to face difficult situations but you will be clear headed to deal with them and make decisions about your life. If you keep drinking nothing will change.

Raider 09-15-2013 12:37 PM

Longbeach - I have been to some celebrate recovery meetings. I feel your push thru cyberspace😊
13 again I am sorry sweetie.
Hooped - good stuff
Afloat - you're right
Fools - bold advice

Thank you all very much.

13. - what time is it there?

lorelei 09-15-2013 12:38 PM

Maybe you need to stop making it about him, make it about you, then decide what you really want once you're sober and have thought about where you want things to be x

ImperfectlyMe 09-15-2013 12:40 PM

13 I was you 5 months ago the quiet desperate housewife drinking her life away. I took my life back so can you
This was me
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ommaholic.html

Listen to the song on my profile under the YouTube section it may resonate with you!

Eddiebuckle 09-15-2013 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 13unluckyforsom (Post 4182134)
what's the point if nothing in the rest of my life changes - except me - I'm giving more and everyone takes more basically!

The truth is that the only thing that really changes when you get sober is you. Your circumstances will begin to change over time in response to the changes in you, but it takes months, not hours or days. If you expect the universe to shift the second you put the plug in the jug you are being unrealistic. Your alcoholism didn't occur overnight, neither will your recovery.

But I will say this: I didn't expect much when I quit drinking. I figured that I would spend the rest of may days pissed off and jonesing for a drink. These three years have not been easy, but they have been the best years since I started drinking at 14. Put your expectations in check and do whatever you need to not pick up a drink today. The rest will happen organically.

Raider 09-15-2013 12:50 PM

ImperfectlyMe - inspirational story you have. Congratulations