SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of May 2012 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/255592-class-may-2012-a.html)

BoozeFree 05-06-2012 06:41 PM

Welcome to the class Frenchpink, Beerbottles, and Rory!

FrenchPink 05-06-2012 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by RoryGallagher (Post 3391942)
I believe I'm in the class of May 2012! I was in a similar boat to FrenchPink, as I mentioned in a post over the weekend, basically heavy binge drinking once or twice a week and some very nasty behavior on my part when in the heart of being blackout drunk.

Thank you, Rory, for letting me know that I'm not alone in the boat. It's hard feeling like such a failure. On Mondays, I always vow to not buy a bottle of wine on Friday after work. By Thursday, I'm thinking of how to just have one or two on Friday and save the rest for the remainder of the weekend. It hasn't worked out that way and I end up buying another bottle for Saturday.

I did not drink today, though, and just threw away the last pack of cigarettes. Gotta start somewhere. My first goal is to not pick up smokes tomorrow. The second goal is to not stop for wine this Friday. Good luck to everyone in sticking to their goals!

Chuck48 05-06-2012 07:00 PM

I made it through the weekend too! I'm glad I'm in good company here. Knowing that others can resist temptation makes me try harder.

FrenchPink 05-06-2012 07:05 PM

Good for you, Chuck! Your positive post gives me hope to stay strong in my resolve, too. Thank you!

Dee74 05-06-2012 07:42 PM

I just wanted to pop in and welcome you new guys - good to see you here :)

D

Chuck48 05-06-2012 07:47 PM

Hello FrenchPink-

Like you, the weekends tempt me far more than the weekdays. I'm trying to plan activities that don't involve alcohol for the weekends. If I know I have something to do--and I have to be there sober!--then I'm much more likely to stick to a plan.

Please let me know if you come up with any good strategies. I'd love to hear them.

Good luck !

FrenchPink 05-06-2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck48 (Post 3392090)
Hello FrenchPink-

Like you, the weekends tempt me far more than the weekdays. I'm trying to plan activities that don't involve alcohol for the weekends. If I know I have something to do--and I have to be there sober!--then I'm much more likely to stick to a plan.

Please let me know if you come up with any good strategies. I'd love to hear them.

Good luck !

That's great advice, Chuck, thanks! I'm going to start by inviting a friend for an early brunch this Saturday.

RoryGallagher 05-06-2012 08:39 PM

Hey French Pink -- you're not a failure. You'll get this thing under control and move on with your life.

I'm also glad to know we're in this boat together. The great thing about this forum is talking to others and hearing the right supportive and understanding comments. Unlike the friend I saw at an art gallery opening the next evening after my last drinking binge who, when I said I was just drinking seltzer b/c I was still recovering from the night before, said "OK, as long as you're not abstaining."

I got really sick of the experience of waking up and thinking to myself "oh crap, it's going to be one of those days" -- still drunk from the night before, and when the drunkenness ends around noon or 1PM I'm either lying in bed in complete pain with my head under a pillow or going back and forth to the bathroom to yak.

RoryGallagher 05-06-2012 08:44 PM

Hey Chuck48 -- planning non-drinking activities is a great idea, and you can see how this morphs into simply having a better life. I've been playing in an evening sports league, and I'd like to get involved with a community volunteer program of some kind -- in my city there are a lot of options for that and whether it's mentoring kids, etc, or another similar activity I think there's a lot to do. I've wanted to study guitar for a while and there's a group around that meets in evenings to play a bit, unfortunately in a bar usually but I'd like to be comfortable in that environment while not drinking.

BoozeFree 05-06-2012 09:05 PM

End of day 3. Glad to go to sleep sober again. For me weekends arnt necessarily more difficult than weekdays bc I was an everyday drinker but I think I here more about drinking and what not on weekends when friends are planning to go out. That's another thing I've decided to change is who I hang with. I don't even really have any real friends. Just a couple people who like to get wasted. I'm going to have to make a lot of changes in order to stay sober. One day at a time..

RyanRyan 05-07-2012 06:28 AM

One beer led to two, led to three, hammered Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Now Monday morning just wanna cry....so, so tired of fighting this beast. I'm gonna go to AA or something this week. I just can't do this on my own. I admit it. I am powerless, I just want to be happy. Day one again.

BoozeFree 05-07-2012 07:17 AM

Ryan hang in there! Instead of looking negatively at your relapse maybe there's something you can learn from it to prevent it happening again. Posting here was a great start rather than drinking today too. Glad to have you in the May class!

Day 4. Slept way better last night. No night sweats! I'm actually awake and feel pretty rested and not dehydrated. Even tho I was only back out drinking for a few weeks I truly forgot how great being sober can feel.

Have a great day class!

Lost3000 05-07-2012 07:32 AM

Go Jim Go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by soberjim (Post 3388322)
Looking forward to week end without any alcohol.. first week end in a while without any, but I am sure it will be worth it Monday a.m...

Jim

gunther84 05-07-2012 10:51 AM

Day seven today. I feel good..other than being unemployed. Going to have a one on one with my sponsor this evening. I feel good about the steps I am taking for my sobriety...i.e. my life.

Duke10 05-07-2012 11:49 AM

I have joined your class as of May 5th. Wish me luck.

gunther84 05-07-2012 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by BoozeFree (Post 3392679)
Day 4. Slept way better last night. No night sweats! I'm actually awake and feel pretty rested and not dehydrated. Even tho I was only back out drinking for a few weeks I truly forgot how great being sober can feel.

Have a great day class!

Is'int sleeping naturally and waking up with a clear head great? I look forward to logging on here and seeing what everyone is saying.....and I can do it with a clear conscious. I think if I went drinking I wouldn't log in for a while if ever because of the shame and my ego.

roosta 05-07-2012 12:21 PM

Day 4!!! I feel pretty normal today. It really, really helps to focus on *today* to keep sober. Not next week or next month, just today. I forgot what it felt like to feel promise and hope, and I have both today. :c031:

Have a great Monday everyone!,

roosta

thesun 05-07-2012 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck48 (Post 3392090)
Hello FrenchPink-

Good luck !

I can definitely relate to this, I too was a weekend binger. Hardly any desire in the week.

Day 2 here, good luck everyone

RoryGallagher 05-07-2012 01:12 PM

Hey thesun -- I'm a weekend binger too, although I was also binging on the occasional weeknight too. My whole thought process was if I had some free time that's what I'd do -- go out to bars and get drink with friends. Now it's really refreshing to have a normal perspective on what I'll do with my free time -- just knowing it won't involve drinking gives me a richer life.

Boozefree, thanks for the welcome! Good to be in this class.

Day 11 for me...

thesun 05-07-2012 01:18 PM

Congrats on 11 days Rory. I agree it's good to start thinking differently rather than having the 'get wasted mentality'

Are you going to AA and if so what do you think of it? Considering starting it.