SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of May 2012 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/255592-class-may-2012-a.html)

thesun 05-08-2012 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Change4good (Post 3393369)
Natural sleep is one of the best gifts sobriety has given me. Of course, I wake up before dawn now, but after uninterrupted sleep with a clear head. And, it gives me a solid hour to hang out with you guys before my day starts!

I have to agree with this. I used to get all sorts of nasty dreams, night tremors etc- awful.:c020:

miko67 05-08-2012 06:57 AM

Arghhhh ***** hard work. I gave up last year done bout four months felt better looked better treated others better. It is better but just as im Tryon t quit iv met a girl n we had gd time out drinking. I wanna stop again but think shell find me boring anyone been here?

RyanRyan 05-08-2012 07:40 AM

Checking in...had a few drinks last night to help with the anxiety before bed however I guess when things are this bad a few is really worthless and about as good as water. Anxiety from hell and the tingling numb hands, feet etc. but trying to keep strong. Feel much better this morning though than yesterday. Not as depressed as after a bender....you'd think we'd learn this by now? Silly us. I'm an all or nothing guy too. If I can't drink till pass out then why even do it really. I only really find happiness in the big drunk...little buzz does nothing except making me crave the big one. Good day y'all! Day two...

aloneinthis 05-08-2012 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hooped (Post 3393575)
Just found a shopping list that I made out late last night while on my drunken escapade.
It's virtually unreadable... the scrawlings of a drunk.
Taped it to my fridge so I can look at it the next time I think I should try to drink like a nomal person again.

Hooped...My therapist once had me write down my feelings with each drink that I had during one of my nights of binge drinking. The first few were good, legible and made sense. The further in I got, the worse my writing got...until the last 2, where only I could sort of make out what I was talking about. Also, my dad has COPD and still smokes. Sometimes he coughs until he passes out. It is scary, and I hope you can kick the habit.

Today is Day 5 for me. Day 3 was horrible, and I am proud of myself for making it through. My computer completely crapped out on me and I lost all my pictures/music/etc. It would have been so easy to drink away my sadness, but I didn't.

Fdm 05-08-2012 10:15 AM

Count me in again. My complaceny as an alcoholic is my downfall. The alcohol is my only vice. I eat healthy, exercise regularly and drink every day of the week until bedtime. Its like I look at it like some sort of twisted reward for disciplined eating.

Some reward huh?

Livinday2day 05-08-2012 10:36 AM

Hello May class, just joined this site yesterday and glad to say I'm on day 7. Unlike some, I'm actuall sleeping better than I have in years and appetite is raging. Been going to AA meetings faithfully every night and starting to get the feeling that I might actually be able to do this. Have a great alcohol-free Tuesday everyone!

brdlvr 05-08-2012 10:42 AM

Since May 7 is my sobriety date, I'd like to join the class of May. going to really need to stay tuned in here as well as other programs I am working. I'm scared that once I start to feel good after being off the booze for awhile, and I always do, the old addictive voice will be coming out beckoning me to drink.

BoozeFree 05-08-2012 01:18 PM

Day 5. Just checking in. Slept way better last night and woke up full of energy today.

Welcome to all the new people that just joined!

youngun 05-08-2012 01:53 PM

Glad to hear from everyone, it's very encouraging to see I'm not alone in all this :) Day 6 so far, made it through the weekend without a drink which hasn't happened since I can remember to be honest (excuse the pun...)

Dee74 05-08-2012 02:00 PM

welcome brdlvr, fdm and miko :)

D

FrenchPink 05-08-2012 04:11 PM

Great to see so many joiners to our Class of May boat. I'm still hanging tough on both fronts this evening. Had to talk myself out of picking up a pack of cigarettes on the way home, but I did it. Big high fives to thesun, Hooped, and anyone else trying to resist those burning sticks of cancer. :)

Originally Posted by miko67 (Post 3394051)
Arghhhh ***** hard work. I gave up last year done bout four months felt better looked better treated others better. It is better but just as im Tryon t quit iv met a girl n we had gd time out drinking. I wanna stop again but think shell find me boring anyone been here?

Miko, it sounds like you were happiest when fully sober. Have you given your new girl the benefit of the doubt and told her that you're trying to quit drinking again? She might be supportive if you give her a chance. Otherwise, if she doesn't respect your important decision to stop drinking then she'll disrespect you in other ways, too. Best wishes to the both of you.

2magnolias 05-08-2012 07:30 PM

Day 8 & welcome all new folks and thank you for sharing your stories, fears & success.

Like you, there are people in my life (family, friends) who know the complete truth about my demons and quit attempt. Others, (work) know nothing.

To get around the "oh come on, one drink won't kill you," thing when with the "others" I tell folks I'm on a serious, hard core health kick-not diet-health kick, in which I'm not putting anything unnecessary into my body. And look at them dead serious in the eye when you say it. 99.9 times out of 100 it shuts them up. They may think you've gone evangelical or insane, but that's okay. And of course you can personalize/embellish your new "diet" or "lifestyle" or whatever however you like in the manner that most suits you.

I discovered this WORKS because I have actually gotten on a hard core health kick, because it makes me feel better and because I can't drink when on this kick, as a tool to sort of "fool" my brain into thinking that my mission isn't simply to "stop drinking," but to "get seriously healthy." For my primative brain, it's much easier for me to tell myself "you can't go out and get wasted tonight because drinking 1,000 calories will blow your health kick" rather than "you can't get wasted tonight because you'll feel like death in the morning and have to start ALL over at DAY ONE again."

Feels nobler to me. Am I deceiving myself? Maybe. Does it work? Absolutely.

I'd love to hear about your "tricks" that are working for you. We need an arsenal--but we can do this! Heck, we are doing it!

FrenchPink 05-08-2012 07:37 PM

Congratulations and big hugs to you on your Day 8! Keep up the good work, 2magnolias.

2magnolias 05-08-2012 07:53 PM

FrenchPink thank you so much! Like you, I was a weekend binger.

(Thought I had it all together for YEARS...until the weekend benders became weekends and Tuesdays, then weekends, Tuesdays & Thursdays. Then I realized I was either drunk or hungover every day of my life.)

I also smoke but am not worried about quitting until I get a firm grasp on sobriety. If that takes a year, so be it. You've got a great excuse not to drink with your quitting smoking! If you drink ANYTHING in ANY quantity, you're gonna HAVE to light up! (At least that's what you tell them.)

Congrats on your success and thank you for being here!

alaskasunshine 05-08-2012 08:12 PM

Geee Haawww. Day 0

Okay, am ready to try this again. feeling buzzed and relaxed, am handling things at the moment. It's all a lie. I am not in control. Not at all. IT is.

alaskasunshine 05-08-2012 08:19 PM

My boyfriend just came home and handed me a shutoff notice to our electric bill. I pay electric, he pays gas. So it's me who screwed up. He looks pissed off. So i will have to write a hot check. life sucks.

2magnolias 05-08-2012 08:22 PM

alaska sunshine this is your opportunity to fix it all! tonight is the LAST time you will ever feel like you do now...from the alcohol to the bottomless abyss of crap that comes with it...like forgetting to pay bills. you're with us now! come back tomorrow! we're behind you all the way!

BoozeFree 05-08-2012 08:31 PM

Hey Alaska welcome to the group! You can do this, keep posting and hangin around here on SR.

flickedhisbic 05-08-2012 08:40 PM

I'm back here after a huge smack upside the head. So in the past 4 days I found out that I'm getting kicked out of my current living situation for drinking, found out I have one semester to raise my GPA enough to not get kicked out of school and the big this is I got assaulted on sunday night. Which was 100% preventable if I hadn't of gotten drunk. So today is my 27th birthday and it's time to grow up and change things.

(I'm not ok with sharing more detail than the assault's occurrence right now)

BoozeFree 05-08-2012 08:47 PM

Welcome to the class flickedhisbic and Happy bday!