SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of May 2021 Support thread Part One (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/453587-class-may-2021-support-thread-part-one.html)

venuscat 05-02-2021 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 (Post 7630979)
Walking is GREAT! Less stress on the joints. My in-laws, almost 89 and almost 93, walk a mile every day, in about 20 minutes. They are sharp as a tack and live independently. Quite the inspiration ❤️

I am am an elder-care worker by trade, and hearing that makes my heart sing. :) :) :hug: s ❤️

venuscat 05-02-2021 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 (Post 7630983)
Made it today to 6:18 pm, just a few more sober hours to a guilt free sleep, and I’m there!

How did the photos go love? :) ❤️

venuscat 05-02-2021 04:48 PM

Phoebe love....I am a few years older than you, and I just went through some really painful hip issues but I also worked through it and
I am so much better now. So keep doing what you know is the right thing and of course see someone if you want to....just sending hope. :) :hug: s ❤️

Free2bme888 05-02-2021 07:38 PM

Hope the joints get better soon!

Venus, sent you a PM 😍

Erratic 05-03-2021 12:06 AM

morning peeps x
i used to love walking also, but i would walk with my dogs, which since they past away i cant seem to enjoy going out for walks anymore. i guess it was more they took me out x jo, im no gym bunnie, i get really anxious and hate the mirrors they put in front of some equipment, i hate to see myself. I tend to just zone out and not try to get upset with myself and just enjoy doing weights and feel my strength coming back. Funny thing is my hub he hates gyms and has never been in one, he said he will walk along the beach while im in the gym lol let us know how u get on jo with ur walking xx

so i am on my day 1 x congrats on everyone else on there milestones and again thanks for your replies and feedback, by time i read posts is i tend to forget who is who, this be something else i will work on is my memory as the poison kills off the grey cells x oh and thanks dear venus you xx

will check in later after i go back to shops and buy couple of more things for getting fitter xx

have a great day if you can xx

Dee74 05-03-2021 01:33 AM

Congrats on day one Erratic :)

D

Devizes 05-03-2021 02:52 AM

Congrats on day one, Erratic, and way to go on joining the gym! :c011:

Congrats, too, to everyone else on their milestones.

I started my journal last night and I've written everything I felt at the time. I've listed all the reasons why bingeing is damaging, all the reasons why I no longer want to do it, and all the reasons why I should stay strong. I've committed to reading it every morning and every time I feel like bingeing.

I know that bingeing is really bad for me, but once I start, all that knowledge flies away and all I see is what I can eat next. It was exactly the same with drinking. My plan is to force myself to read the journal, to help focus me back on what I really want. So, here goes.....

venuscat 05-03-2021 05:00 AM

I totally understand that dear Devizes :hug: s
Sending you Iove and strength for today xx ❤️

venuscat 05-03-2021 05:02 AM

I hear you re the gym dear Erratic. Just no. :) :hug: s ❤️
Onward together Iove. xx

:grouphug:

DeepBlue 05-03-2021 06:54 AM

It's been a while but time to try again - Day 1 today, so would love to join the inspirational May support group! I'm getting on a bit now and becoming all the more aware that if I don't confront my bad choices around alcohol then my life will be shorter and sicker. Given that i want to live forever(!) downing 1-2 bottles of wine daily is not a good look. I also want to enjoy my life more and am very aware that that these days i don't laugh so much or so easily - that's sad - I'm pretty sure the alcohol is limiting my joy. I have got a lot of work to do on myself and am trying to soak up as much positive reading and listening as i can. I look forward to travelling forwards with you all. Best wishes with your own journeys

venuscat 05-03-2021 07:04 AM

Welcome back dear DeepBlue! :) :hug: s ❤️

phoebe64 05-03-2021 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 7630996)
Phoebe love....I am a few years older than you, and I just went through some really painful hip issues but I also worked through it and
I am so much better now. So keep doing what you know is the right thing and of course see someone if you want to....just sending hope. :) :hug: s ❤️

Thats encouraging, V! Thanks. It just of cropped up out of nowhere, unrelated to anything I did, or at least not obviously so. The day we walked a lot in Boston didn’t really make it worse, then some days, it’s so achy. Probably some arthritis.

phoebe64 05-03-2021 07:33 AM

Good on joining the gym, Erratic! I have a great elliptical machine, but it’s needing service, and I can’t get anyone to do it because it’s over 10 years old. The dealers who carry(and service) the brand won’t even look at it. Of course, they want me to trade it in for a new machine. Then they probably fix my old one and sell it! But, I miss having that because it’s easy on the joints but a good workout. Of course it started clunking right before covid.

Today my boy is back at full time school. Hubs dropped him off, so I got to be the one to sleep in today. I’ll do pickup. It’s going to be a bit of a pain driving him daily, but feels safer than him being packed on a crowded bus. The traffic gets crazy because they brilliantly decided to build several of the schools on on large campus. So everyone is funneling into the same area.

Welcome Deepblue, and good to see you here with us Devizes. You describe the feelings of binging so intensely. Regardless of the substance, it just takes over.

Free2bme888 05-03-2021 08:42 AM

irritating to post twice and it’s gone

anyway plan to golf today, got my 2.5 mile walk in. What are your plans today?

I will not drink.

Cornishman 05-03-2021 09:12 AM

I'm 7 days off the drink at the moment. Previously, drinking 3-4 bottles of wine a day, occasionally spirits and rarely beer (not strong enough!). I've been seriously trying to quite for three years and I am about 75% clean in that time, but with some serious crashes (including the most recent). I've got to 11 months or so at one point without a drink. I stopped getting pleasure out of alcohol a long time ago - I only do it to avoid not doing it; it's like putting a burnt hand in a glass of ice water - you know taking your hand out is going to hurt a lot.

venuscat 05-03-2021 09:18 AM

Welcome dear Cornishman! :) :hug: s ❤️

And sorry your lost your post Free. :hug: s ❤️

Anna 05-03-2021 10:58 AM

Welcome, Cornishman, I'm glad you're here.

Free, that sounds like a good walk.

Phoebe, I hope your son has a great day at school and doing pickups and dropoffs will keep things safer.

Caramel 05-03-2021 11:24 AM

Welcome back, DeepBlue :)

DeepBlue 05-03-2021 11:54 AM

Hi Cornishman, loved how you put this: " it's like putting a burnt hand in a glass of ice water - you know taking your hand out is going to hurt a lot". I can relate to that fear of the pain that can come when we stop. We are programmed to avoid pain, so quitting an addiction can almost feel unnatural and the opposite of our instinct. We just got to know that we have to deal with it sooner or later or it will kill us (the ultimate pain i guess!). Sounds like you have already had some really good success - and will do again!

Dee74 05-03-2021 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 (Post 7631267)
irritating to post twice and it’s gone

if you lose a post, you'll find a little box just under the posting area with 'restore auto saved content' - click that and that should bring your post back.

That's in desktop view I hope it's available in the mobile view as well.

D