SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of November 2019 Part 4 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/443936-class-november-2019-part-4-a.html)

Briansy 12-11-2019 12:38 PM

Two hugs in one day! Amazing - just been for a 5 mile walk to clear my head and escape that cabin fever I'd been feeling all day. Feel great. Now watching MasterChef the professionals. Damn, it makes me hungry though! Need to pay attention to the names of these nice restaurants so I can pay a visit on my milestone treat days / weekends!

Willow00 12-11-2019 12:44 PM

I find a good long walk helps clear my head too. I didn’t get a chance to walk yesterday morning and I felt rather blah most of the day.
I went to the doctor yesterday and told him I hadn’t been taking the antidepressants I’d been prescribed, because they made me feel really sick.
I said I’d been exercising instead.
He told me that exercise is proven to work faster as an antidepressant than antidepressants! He did say vigorous exercise though, so I might have to step up the pace.
So as soon as I’m finished my coffee and SR time, I’ll head out for a brisk walk. I still can’t convince myself to run even though it’s meant to be really “good” it feels like torture to me...

venuscat 12-11-2019 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Willow68 (Post 7330873)
Goodness, I just realised there’s a whole page of posts I didn’t see. I thought it had been really quiet overnight in class while I slept! :lmao

Good morning everyone :wavey:

Joy that’s such a hard position to be in. As Suze said, you gave yourself the best advice. I’m facing a similar situation at Christmas. I’ll be the only sober one among many drinkers, plus a few nearly adults, a couple who have drank a bit, one who has never had a drink. I will be open that I don’t think drinking is a good idea because of the damage it does and how it becomes addictive and hard to stop, but I won’t be on my high horse about it. I’ll just try to show that fun can be had without alcohol, by having fun myself while drinking my flavoured sparkling water ;) and also be supportive as needed

Tiles, a job on Alaskan airlines sounds way better than dealing with that kind of stress. Wishing Mrs Tiles so much luck for a new job. That would be very exciting. As a little girl I always wanted to be an air hostess, it was my dream job for so many years.

Glad you got a new computer Trudging. This one will last a lot longer because it won’t have to try unsuccessfully to swim in wine. My things are a lot safer when I’m not drinking. I ruined a lot of things with red wine in the past, but not any more :)

Here’s another hug for you Briansy :Val004:

Willow honey....we lived in the wrong country re 'air hostess'.
You had to be lean and perfect in Aus to EVER even get an interview....practically Ms Moomba or something....not here.....flight attendants are all sizes shapes and ages. I was so so so so so so so so so shocked. Australia is a little backwards in ways I did not imagine....

I LOVE Masterchef. :)

Briansy 12-11-2019 12:50 PM

Willow, the high from running is amazing but unfortunately I screwed my ankle some time back so won't be able to get back to it til after an operation. If you go very slowly and gradually build your stamina it will seem less like torture. Maybe give it a try? Or not!!

Willow00 12-11-2019 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Briansy (Post 7330886)
Willow, the high from running is amazing but unfortunately I screwed my ankle some time back so won't be able to get back to it til after an operation. If you go very slowly and gradually build your stamina it will seem less like torture. Maybe give it a try? Or not!!

Hmmm maybe I’ll give it a try.... I walk on the beach, so maybe when I get to the area where no people are, and the sand is firm at the water’s edge, I’ll try a little bit of going faster. Although perhaps I’d be better running with proper shoes on... I’m always barefoot on the beach. I walk for 40-50 minutes. I’ll see how I go but I do think I might try a little bit of gentle slow running and see what happens :)

Dee74 12-11-2019 01:37 PM

Good to hear from you Tap - congrats on 60 - thats monumental :)

D

soberbythesea 12-11-2019 03:08 PM

Congrats on 60 days taplow, good to see you back.

Willow congrats on 30 tomorrow :)

I like these suggestions of eating fruit and going on long walks. My diet and exercise routine could really use an overhaul. I'm not happy with my weight and I'm sure I could feel better as well.

Briansy, yes I was up early. My bf had a 10 hour round trip drive to make for work today (not a typo) and he left at 4 am... so I was on SR for a little while trying to get tired enough to go back to sleep. :) (Which I did, eventually. )

Day 39 for me. Today I worked all day and got some really nice feedback from colleagues, yet even after working 9 am-5:45 pm and KNOWING that I'd more than put in my time for the day, it was hard to make myself stop working because I wasn't finished with what I was doing. But I was tired and could feel that little "I want a drink" feeling starting to take hold in my body, so I did make myself stop... I will get up in the morning early and finish up then. It's still overtime, but it doesn't feel nearly as bad to me to be working early in the morning. I really need to discipline myself actively not to work evenings and weekends, it stresses me out and I can't afford that right now.

Bf is home so need to start dinner, see everyone soon. x

venuscat 12-11-2019 03:17 PM

Awesome self-care dear SBTS. :hug: s xx

Briansy 12-12-2019 02:21 AM

Working from home today. Cleaned my apartment, changed my bed sheets, doing odd jobs, keeping an eye on work but it's quiet at this time of the year. Generally feeling pretty damn good. Picking up a pair of jeans in a bit I had altered. I am so anal about that kinda stuff I am actually nervous about how they are going to turn out. I literally will be wearing those things nearly every day, want them to be perfect! First world problems!

Have a good day all!

soberbythesea 12-12-2019 03:50 AM

Haha Briansy, good luck with the jeans. Working from home sounds nice.

I just woke up super early to finish a report, which I've got to get to in a couple of minutes. Then court, then if I'm lucky a little time at my desk before an important afternoon meeting. Then when I get home, I really have to work on holiday online shopping while my bf is at his co-op board meeting. So tired. I didn't manage to cook dinner for us last night, should try to tonight because I have the ingredients and it's probably the last opportunity to use them before friends come stay this weekend, but I fear I may be more tired today than yesterday lol. We shall see.

On the plus side, my weight is going down. Only half a pound, but half a pound is half a pound. I'll take it since I've been creeping up steadily for a couple of weeks now. Those iced ginger cookies I made last weekend were delicious but I ended up eating far too many of them myself.

Day 40!

taplow 12-12-2019 04:54 AM

Made a bit of an error. The 60 days I claimed yesterday seemed a bit high so I did a bit of checking. I thought I'd done 8 weeks but it was only 7. So this is my 54th sober day.
It's a cold and rainy election day here in the UK. I think everyone should vote even if they just spoil their ballot - at least it's counted.
Hope you enjoy you day. Best wishes.

Briansy 12-12-2019 06:09 AM

Well, my day which was going off without a hitch suddenly took a turn for the worse. I was looking at the drainage in my sink and it came crashing down - well, just the plinth bit but still. Absolute nightmare. I'm going away in the morning - I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing - maybe I can get someone to come in and do it while I'm away. Ugh. Stress.

venuscat 12-12-2019 06:44 AM

Oh No!!! :(
I hope you can get it sorted Briansy. :hug: xx

Briansy 12-12-2019 06:51 AM

Thanks Venus - bit crap and stressy but not the end of the world. I'll get it sorted - may have to wait til I come back now but that's OK. The initial shock of it and not really knowing how much this stuff cost got me worried. It'll probably cost me like 200-250 pounds. Not what I needed but these things happen. Look at me - Mr Zen Sage Briansy!!

venuscat 12-12-2019 06:59 AM

:) Zen-sage indeed. :) :hug:

As long as you can go away and leave it without any damage, I would. :hug: s
And yeah....it's a lot of money but how long would it have taken you to go through that in booze? I always calculate this way. :) :hug: s

Briansy 12-12-2019 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 7331480)
:) Zen-sage indeed. :) :hug:

As long as you can go away and leave it without any damage, I would. :hug: s
And yeah....it's a lot of money but how long would it have taken you to go through that in booze? I always calculate this way. :) :hug: s

Yeah, gonna leave it. It's knocked me out of my equilibrium today but feck it. Nothing bad is gonna happen, it'll just be a bit of a pain shaving and washing my teeth tomorrow.

How are you today Venus?

venuscat 12-12-2019 09:52 AM

Very cold. :)

Briansy 12-12-2019 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 7331541)
Very cold. :)

I make sure I have the heating on full blast at all times! My apartment is all carpet and I don't like wearing anything more than a t shirt inside.

venuscat 12-12-2019 10:07 AM

I try not to go over 18C but off to change that for the moment.
I don't wear a lot either....still in the same stuff I wore in Aus (new clothes but still) just trackies singlet and lightweight hoodie. I hate layers of clothing. :)

trudgingagain 12-12-2019 11:06 AM

It's cold in Cali too. Got my "old"(May 2019) computer back, so at least it works! Sohappy that this will tide me over until we go on our trip. I sent the new computer directly to my tech, so next Wed. (at the last minute,) I will give this "old " one to him (apparently he needs both) on Wed. We leave for the Caribbean on the 19th! Can't wait!!!