SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of April 2015 Part 14 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/433602-class-april-2015-part-14-a.html)

amp123 12-17-2018 02:08 AM

Not bad is it?! 4th sober Christmas coming up!

Dee74 12-17-2018 03:06 PM

:c011:

D

stargazer016 12-23-2018 10:54 PM

It really struck me this morning that, yes, it is our fourth sober Christmas. The holiday was always one of ones where I could drink more openly around others, because even normal folks tend to imbibe more than usual on this holiday. I actually had a few moments yesterday lamenting the fact that I no longer can "sip" a drink around the fire while opening presents. Of course, I never had just a "sip" of any drink ever in my life. It is great to wake up hangover free and able to truly enjoy the company of friends and family.

Going into work at 4:00 am, then off Christmas and the day after. It's been a grueling season this year, as our store was perpetually understaffed. A breather is much appreciated.

I hope Santa brings everyone what they want this year. Maybe a new guitar Amp?

Happy Holidays everyone!

Incontrol15 12-24-2018 06:20 PM

Merry Christmas gents!

All this nostalgia has me thinking back to Christmas 2014. I can't remember a thing. I know by April I was an all day drunk. I would wake up in middle of night and drink to calm down my heart which was trying to claw out of my chest.

I don't believe I was like that at Christmas. I was able to draw up some very negative feelings. Yay me... Lol. Xmas was hard for years because I punished myself for abandoning my family and was living a lie with a new "family".

Yikes... Don't miss those days AT ALL! Now I feel a mix of pure acceptance and retribution. I feel I've paid my price and I've earned the right to be happy. Between the two, I'm pretty well off emotionally.

So...I was thinking about getting a guitar as well and have been watching various online markets. Talking to my youngest son who plays the drums (waaay better than I ever did!) and he told me some of his musician friends recommend piano first to learn to read and music theory.

The music theory is what piqued my interest because what I'd really love to do is just play what my heart and soul is feeling. When it comes to drums, I like to copy songs. Hard rock mostly with Godsmack being my ultimate drum band. So much fun.

But I really enjoy listening to classical when doing homework, meditating, or just hanging around. I find piano to be more spiritual and a great way to express emotions.

I woke up this morning with a strong desire to get a keyboard. I even shooed Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for a while. I could do well with $75. But money is tight and figured one or two more paychecks and I'd be golden.

But check this out... I went to Goodwill today and low and behold... A Casio keyboard WITH the stand for $20!

​One of those moments where I felt God is great. The synchronicity was crazy. First, to fact that I woke up thinking about it. I had just hit that Goodwill 2 days ago! I was driving by and decided last second... "Eh, might as well buy something for myself". I was feeling a bit lonely.

I left my wallet at home and realized that right when I go to get out of the car. I've got $5 in quarters from laundry day so I figured I'd go in.

​​​​​Sasbthe keyboard then remembered....I have $20 in the car stashed for gas emergency! I was good to go!

Spent a solid hour practicing so far. I plan on making this a daily event if even for 15min.

So glad I didn't sell off a pair of beats wired headphone too. I almost sold them several times over the past year, but the money wasn't worth it since Bluetooth is in demand.

​Now I can practice and not be that annoying neighbor.

This is a GREAT Christmas so far!

SG... You're really going at it with the Strat, huh? Getting serious. That's awesome. I was actually looking to buy an acoustic guitar a few weeks ago, but thankfully I realized that it would be rather loud to play in an apartment. Not crazy loud... But walls are fairly thin here. So I started looking at electric.

Looks like we'll be able to pull a band together here soon. Didn't we talk about forming a band early on? We even had a name picked at one point. Hmm..anyone remember what that was?
​​

amp123 12-25-2018 03:19 AM

Morning all! Lovely to be sober for my 4th Christmas in a row and enjoying some time with my wife's family. Feeling strong in my convictions and fortunate today :)

Sounds like we should get a band together! Dee on the bass, SG on guitar and Inc on the keyboards. I could sing and play rhythm guitar!

I remember us being the CASIOs which was a cool band name which worked well when Cauliflower and OMD used to pop up. I hope they're doing well!

I also recall very early on a plan to get a band together. It was a fun idea. Inc was going to use his woodworking skills to rig up a stage for us!

I remember being very hung up about playing music and drinking. My music career was a fast track into a world where excess was the norm. Useful place to be for a addict. Music is at a different pace now. It took nearly two years to make the album and now we can't string enough rehearsals together to actually learn to play what we recorded, so the record launch keeps getting put back. I don't actually mind. I gave up music altogether for nearly 2 years and have returned with a different philosophy. Basically, I just wait for people to call me and then I show up. If we don't rehearse or turn down work I don't stress it. I can't afford to. Now I am prioritising my other relationships. Funny how sobriety has changed the focus of my life!

Hope you guys have a great Christmas!

A

Dee74 12-25-2018 03:46 AM

Merry Xmas everyone :grouphug:

D

stargazer016 12-25-2018 04:40 AM

What a great story Inc!The smaller Casio keyboards always looked like a lot of fun to play. Do you have to be able to read music to play? I have not attempted to learn how to read music yet. I just printed off pictures off each chord and finger positions and have practiced from them. I will see my brother in law today, so I am returning the Strat back. That leaves me back to fighting with my cheapo acoustic. It didn't occur to me that an electric guitar is way less bothersome to family members than an acoustic, because it is pretty quiet unplugged. I had callouses form and peel on my left hand finger tips, so that part is getting easier. Unfortunately, I have found my left hand going numb, carpal tunnel like, so I don't know if that is directly related. I still can't really change chords without extreme deliberation, so I can't produce anything musical yet. I will check out Goodwill and maybe look for a cheapo guitar, or keyboard. I don't want to spend real money if my hand is not going to let me play down the line. Even if I go no further with things, it has been a real eye opener learning some rudimentary things about music, and has enhanced my enjoyment of listening.

Inc, I had forgotten the 3:00am glass of wine "to help me get back to sleep" routine during my last year. I was drinking to live, and living to drink by that April. So happy to not be there now.

Merry Christmas to all! I owe my continued sobriety, and probably my life, to you guys and Dee from this thread. No one understands this journey if they haven't traveled the road. Every day is an opportunity now, not something to just get through. That is the best gift in the world!

Dee74 12-25-2018 03:53 PM

I think with a good technique your hands might be a lot less numb SG?

https://www.guitarhabits.com/how-to-...d-positioning/

As for reading music I didn't at all until recent years - I just relied on my ears and still do mainly.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

amp123 12-26-2018 02:41 AM

I don't need to read music much and I'm not very good at it. I was self taught and only started studying music theory 20 years later to help me improve my composing.

Maybe you could try working on two finger chords like Em and G6 yo start? Also maybe a simple blues guitar boogie like the one in the link?

​https://youtu.be/l1nGkSjqtkI​​​​​​

Incontrol15 12-27-2018 12:18 AM

Well.. Had a brief memory of adding (sneaking) Vodka to my coffee Xmas morning of 2014. I was definitely well in my path to a world of hurt. In fact, I have a strong gut feeling I was pretty early into waking up with the shakes or sweats.

Either way, what's most relieving is the sheer fact I can't remember that Christmas. Only the bad emotions...

This year is a little awkward because I don't have anyone to share it with. My mom sent me Xmas and bday money (January 10). That's the extent of my christmas.

However, coming across this keyboard has been a blessing. I appreciate that gift and will mostly likely remember it because it's meaningful to me.

Overall, I feel blessed with a decent job, spiritual growth, physical growth, and relatively decent finances where the last couple months I've been able first pretty much buy what I want, and second not track every penny or save up for a bill.

In finally at a point where I can pay all my monthly expenses in the 1st if I wanted to. Next step...clear up a month's worth of expenses on credit cards.

I've paid off a couple other debts (taxes was one) and been able to free up a couple hundred dollars in credit. And meantime, I'm having fun like going to concerts with my youngest and Chicago with my oldest.

Plenty to be grateful for.
​​​​​​
My Xmas is next week when I get my boys for 3 days. I'm renting an Airbnb since there's no room in my efficiency. SUPER sweet place with pool, ping pong, and air hockey set up in the basement. I've set it up so their cousins will be coming over one of the days. That'll be fun.

Gotta check out airbnb if you're ever going to spend more than one night.anywhere. You can literally rent and entire house for the price of a 3 star hotel night.

When I did Chicago I used a similar system (booking.com) to rent an entire 2 bedroom apartment 10 minutes from city center for LESS than a hotel room at the airport 35min away.

Definitely recommend both avenues. And now there 'Turo" where you can rent somebody's car. There's amazing cars for rent in my area for much less then using a rental agency.

These services is going to Shake up industry. Hotels are already scrambling due to the growth of Airbnb. They're listing available rooms on that service now, and the car rental service has taken off strong.

Anywho...cheers to a new year guys :)

Dee74 12-27-2018 01:18 AM

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year inc- have a good time with the boys :)

D

stargazer016 12-27-2018 09:05 AM

You have come a long way Inc!

amp123 12-27-2018 09:07 AM

Been a long road for all of us but maybe Inc has come furthest? Much love brothers!

Incontrol15 12-27-2018 09:38 PM

Thank you Dee :)

Yes I have SG and Amp. Honestly though the only difference is I assure you is I put the brakes on later. It's so progressively destructive.

But yeah.. I'm a whole new person now. Still keto and loving it. I'm completely fat adapted now and my tolerance for carbs has increased. Its been months since I've been knocked out of ketosis. Been thinking about having a carb day just so I can remember what it feels like to be depressed like I was.

Wierd, right? Now is not the time though as I have too many pressures at work and can't afford a few days of misery. I'm just curious if I'd have the same level of depression.

So... Side story before I go. I've got a neighbor here that it's pretty cool. We hung out often as we both smoke. He's gay. Doesn't bother me obviously.

Well, a couple months ago he sent me this text in error:

"When wife goes to sleep, Come over bj and go"

Little disturbing, right? He apologized and said wrong person. I just let it go and never said a peep.

Well since it's been cold, neither of us have been hanging outside so I haven't seen him for a while. We text happy Thanksgiving and Xmas and a few other times.

Today, he said I'm welcome to come over any time. I said sure. Been busy writing a business plan for my store because it's a low profit store and I need to present my plan to executives in California in 3 weeks. I said after that, I'll be free.

His reply made me nervous... He said I need a stress release :o

Dee74 12-27-2018 09:54 PM

I wouldn't worry about it Inc - If it was innocent no problem, if not all you have to say is no thanks....

D

stargazer016 12-28-2018 06:12 AM

That made me laugh out loud Inc. I think he was probably referring to a drink...?

Have you started messing with the keyboard yet? I went to Good Will the other day, but they didn't have any musical instruments. I was amazed at the quality and prices of the clothes they had though. I will go back occassionally to look for a possible new guitar.

I gave back the Strat on Christmas, so I'm plugging away on the ole Stella. I actually am liking the wider fret board, as it is easier for me to finger chords properly. Yesterday, I had an aha moment. It dawned on me that certain chords have that string as the open bass note. D and D minor chords begin with an open D string, E and E minor with an open E, A with an open A. Duh, I know, but it wasn't pointed out to me in any video that I have watched. That will make the chord memorization easier for me. I can do around 12 chord changes a minute back and forth between two chords. I could barely do four when I started. When I can get to sixty a minute, I might be able to start playing a few songs that sound like a song. I actually look forward to practicing each day.

Inc, do you have to do a presentation in front of all the Company bigwigs? That would kind of freak me out. Being an ex insurance salesman, I am confident that you will do well.

Have a good day all!

Incontrol15 12-28-2018 07:34 PM

Geeze SG...you really ARE a natural! Amazing how fast you're progressing.

Oh yeah...I play with the keyboard every day. Sometimes it's only 1 minute. But I'll read something too before bed. And get ready for this...I am listening to calming piano music for 2hrs while I sleep! I'm a firm believer in developing the subconscious mind and I know my brain is picking up chords, tempos, and theory. I'm using the same spotify play list each night. Before long, I'll be able to play the whole list.

I'm working on my fingering. Mostly doing a C scale on each hand. I'll go from one hand to the next and back, or I'll do both hands at the same time up and down the scale.

Goodwill...
I am literally a Goodwill master. I have not purchased new cloths in years. Instead I pick up very high end stuff for $5 or so. My entire wardrobe is packed with high end shirts, jeans, and sweaters. Stuff I would NEVER consider buying new due to the price tag. I often get compliments...makes me feel good.

I've found each store in the area "specializes" in certain things. I'm sure they transport and distribute the donations amongst stores based on what sells best at each location. The one closest to me is a gold mine for shirts, but"meh" on jeans. I have one that's 10min away that is a gold mine for jeans though. EASILY 10X more jeans.

I go EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. I don't always buy, but when I do, it's top quality and fashionable. Fashion jeans are a bit harder to find and takes patience, but I've managed to score 6 pairs in the past year.

I find myself upgrading now. I really don't NEED anything, but once in a while I find something KILLER then just donate a few to make room. Normally, I like taking the button up shirts to the dry cleaner for a press. NOTHING looks as good as a freshly pressed high-end shirt IMO.

As far as instruments go, I believe they sell the better stuff online. They have their own marketplace. Just google Goodwill.

So...my youngest son is playing around with the Bass. He wanted one for Xmas. Guess what I did yesterday for 10 solid hours! I shopped Facebook, Craigslist, and every Pawn Shop and used musical instrument shop in a 30minute radius.

I ended up finding a VERY NICE Fender P-Bass with new strings and polished to look new. After looking at literally hundreds of guitars, this was the best deal in town for $129.99. When I was in the shop I told him I was looing for $100 but he wouldn't budge and let me walk. I called him later and shared this was for my son and I just shopped every guitar in town and that's the one I want, but it's out of my budget. I asked if he would take $120 cash out the door, and he accepted!

This bass is soooo sexy and in mint condition. Damn thing must weight 50lbs. Never realized how heavy they can be. I'm super psyched for him.

Finally...
Presenting to execs? I am legit crapping my pants.

Dee74 12-28-2018 07:51 PM

I need to move to the States - you couldn't get a genuine P bass for ten times that here...lol

D

amp123 12-29-2018 12:03 AM

I was thinking just that, Dee!!😂😂😂

stargazer016 12-29-2018 02:28 AM

That's a great story Inc! Glad you are making progress on the keyboards also.

I've been listening to the epic drinking plans the kids I work with are hatching for New Year's Eve. I am so glad that I am past that now. Even when I drank, I did not like going out that night, as the police presence is very heavy. DUI s are no joke in this country anymore, and can set you back ten thousand dollars in legal fees. So happy that I can drive anywhere and not constantly be looking for the cops!

Have a good day all!