SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of April 2015 Part 12 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/403264-class-april-2015-part-12-a.html)

Incontrol15 03-24-2017 04:28 PM

Seems my boss has my back. The written statements were a result of associates calling HR to say I was unfit to be a general manager.

The ones who complained were laid off anyway. So just hurt feelings. My boss has my back and that's all that matters.

FB is over 200k shares now and on the news. The local station showed the post he made with my picture. It really blows being mad and not able to do anything about it.

I can't sue him. Thought about getting a 2nd opinion, but figured I'd just be wasting money.

I'd like to screw with his world any way I can, but where would that get me?

Dee74 03-24-2017 04:57 PM

Probably in more trouble IC.

D

stargazer016 03-25-2017 02:54 AM

Any legal action would just spur this person to keep posting and really make him an internet "hero." Thankfully, your boss has your back and realizes the employee complaints were just swipes from people heading out the door angry.

Is there any chance the company can make right the situation in the customer's mind so that the drama can end?

Incontrol15 03-25-2017 08:23 AM

I wish SG. The funny thing is, this guy would have been better off with my solutions than what corp has offered.

Looking forward...
I have a much needed vacation coming up in two weeks. Going to Florida for 7days! My mom had a winter home and will be staying there. She's had it for nearly 10yrs, yet I haven't seen it yet. Looks really nice.

I have a billionaire aunt (married rich) and one of her homes is close by too. She'll be out of town and has offered her home as well. It's right on the beach.

Looking forward to it!

OMD 03-25-2017 02:10 PM

Seems like it's playing out just fine Inc. Company has your back, and you're going on vacation! Only worry about what you can and should change.

SG I hope your dad's ok.

Good weekend, everyone!

OMD

stargazer016 03-25-2017 11:48 PM

Sounds just what the doctor ordered Inc!

Thanks OMD. My father was released Thursday and seems to be doing ok. Everything is magnified when you are 85!

Early day of work today. Waiting for the coffee to brew.

Have a great day all!

canguy 03-26-2017 12:26 AM

Good to hear InC.

You'll cruise through it and end up on the beach, in the sun.

Result!

stargazer016 03-26-2017 11:44 PM

How are you doing Canguy?

stargazer016 03-28-2017 06:56 AM

Getting your bags packed Inc?

Incontrol15 03-28-2017 08:47 AM

How'd you know SG?

Its going to be raining 1st day, then clouds, followed by sunny and 85!

Normally, I'm not much of a beach guy. But thus time, I'm sooo looking forward to relaxing! We have plans to hit massive beaches and quiet beaches.

I bought some cool looking swim suits at goodwill. Speaking of which, I do really good there. Especially for business attire. So much so, that I can't bring myself to buy new anymore.

Cauliflower 03-28-2017 09:07 AM

Hi everyone. I was writing about April this morning and felt drawn to checking in. Glad to hear that everyone is riding the waves life is throwing your way!

SG, My father had a heart attack last month which was very scary. I only remember driving to the city in complete turmoil, only to arrive to see dad smiling like a bugger in his hospital bed, just happy to be alive. HE is on the mend at home now. I swear he has 9 lives!

I am so inspired to write these days, so I'm documenting my newest journey in a journal. Who knows what it will morph into one day? My journey, you ask? It's spiritual, it always has been. Have you ever heard of the book, The Untethered Soul? Wow. I am reading it now, and it's bringing to light everything that I have been experiencing these last few years. I can relate to every word I'm reading. I actually bought this book even before I quit drinking, but could not quite "get it" and never got past the first couple chapters.

Love you guys! I'll share my journal entry with you soon! Have a great week. It's spring break here and the weather seems to be on the same page as the calendar! Full blown sunshine today...let the melt begin!

OMD 03-28-2017 01:27 PM

Hi Cauli, glad to see you're doing well. The snow is melting and I can feel the warmth in your post!

Hope you're all doing well. Bit of stress going on here, but nothing I haven't seen before so just keeping on...

Best wishes

OMD

amp123 03-29-2017 01:00 AM

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't posted in a little while. I generally get an email notification when someone posts to our group but that seems to have stopped working. Out of sight out of mind!

I just found myself wondering how Inc was getting on and realised I'd been under the radar for a week!

Great to hear things have worked out ok, Inc. Best response possible is a nice break in the sun. Just let it go. Life's too short and noone except you will remember this in a month or two.

Great to hear from you Cauli! April here we come!!!

stargazer016 03-29-2017 03:05 PM

Cauli, you sound so positive and alive. Quite an amazing turnaround from where you were when I first met you. Looking forward to the journal! I'm glad that your father seems to be doing well after the heart attack. My father should have died two or three times already, but he is just too stubborn...

Hi Amp!

Keep plugging away OMD! Not that we really have any other choice.

Inc, I'll have to check out Good Will. My sister in law bought me an amazingly warm coat from a thrift store for a dollar. It was brand new.

Best wishes everyone. Hard to believe another April is almost upon us!

stargazer016 03-31-2017 05:49 AM

Closing the books on month 23 for our Class. Can't believe tomorrow starts April 2017!

Have a good day all!

OMD 03-31-2017 02:09 PM

Hello!
Yes, the run in to 2 years starts here...

Never would have thought I'd be writing that.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Best wishes

OMD

amp123 03-31-2017 04:06 PM

1am on 1st April here! Good night!

stargazer016 04-01-2017 06:07 PM

Since I joined this thread a few months in, I missed some of the earliest posts, though I tried to go back and reread most. Did all of you folks have a rock bottom moment in April 2015 that told you that you definitely had to quit?

For myself, it was more a constant slog that robbed life of any joy. However, in the previous month, I drunk texted someone whom I normally would never trust about our boss, and it got back to them. I thought for sure that my job was in serious jeopardy but I skated through barely.

On my last day of drinking, the first day of my weekend, I promised myself that I would not drink before 10:00am. That was what my life had come down to. I was able to not drink before or during work, but almost always was drinking otherwise. I remember going downstairs to brew some coffee and I had an incredible urge to pop open a can of beer. I continued to drink until right before midnight. The self loathing was unbearable. I probably had 18 drinks over the course of the day, never got drunk, never felt that warm buzz alcohol once provided, nothing but anger that I couldn't stop myself. Finally, I admitted to myself that I had a problem. Many many attempts at moderation had failed. That was the day that I finally told myself that I would try to at least not drink for a day. I read the crash course about AVRT on rational.org and here I am today.

My second year of course was much easier than the first. I don't harbor thoughts of wanting to drink most of the time now. Occasionally, I have had the random thought of whether or not I could now moderate, but I have read enough horror stories here to know that would not end well. I don't think about drinking much these days, but I think about being an alcoholic every single day. I check into SR daily to help keep me grounded. My newfound sobriety is a gift, and I hope to never take it for granted.

We are the lucky few who have gotten another chance at life.

amp123 04-02-2017 02:18 AM

Looking back now I think my drinking was always out of hand. When I was young I was actually proud of my capacity to drink more than my friends and other people I met. I was always hiding behind the booze and, in retrospect, I believe that I was profoundly unhappy on many levels

As I grew older, the whole getting wasted thing became increasingly less socially acceptable and there was a time where my drinking, while still "enthusiastic" to say the least, was under some semblance of control. I wouldn't get too nervous if I missed a day drinking, for example, though once I started it was always tough to stop.

Before I gave up I was drinking every day. I held it together on work days (just a couple of beers at lunch and then in the evenings a six pack or bottle of wine...Or both...), but weekends were open season. My drinking was between 50-80% underground and I found myself sneaking around, hiding empties, downing drinks when briefly alone in a room, etc.

The warning signs were all there and when we bought a house in the countryside out of town I found that I was often having to drive my family around when I shouldn't have been anywhere near a car. This scared me so much. The idea of what could happen was terrifying. I think it was that and the idea that I was living a lie and constantly deceiving the people that I loved that inspired me to get off the drink. It was so hard. I can't believe we've made it this far and I hope I never take my second chance for granted. We need to feel proud but also aware that we will always have to be on guard.

Anyway! Hope you all have a great Sunday!

Love to all!

stargazer016 04-02-2017 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by amp123 (Post 6392665)
Looking back now I think my drinking was always out of hand.

Before I gave up I was drinking every day. I held it together on work days (just a couple of beers at lunch and then in the evenings a six pack or bottle of wine...Or both...), but weekends were open season. drinking was between 50-80% underground and I found myself sneaking around, hiding empties, downing drinks when briefly alone in a room, etc.

Looking back now, it seems so obvious that my drinking was out of hand. I would say 90% of my drinking was underground, and I almost always drank alone. I was the king of downing drinks when alone or slamming down drinks when going to the kitchen to "get a snack." Always looking around to see that no family member saw me sneaking drinks. Don't miss those days at all.

Thanks for sharing Amp!