SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of June 2016 Support Thread Part 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/392935-class-june-2016-support-thread-part-2-a.html)

Trees39 06-17-2016 01:45 AM

Good wishes to everyone in June

James90 06-17-2016 03:01 AM

Checking in, Off to Royal Ascot today , should be another good test for me in a social environment. Hopefully a few winners will ease me through the day!

Have a good day everyone.

JL2014 06-17-2016 03:32 AM

Last long work day starting up.
Off this weekend- no second job scheduled.
Already this morning trying to worry about tomorrow's things. God I got to stop that.
Live today, and give that to my higher power. Goal for today.

nmd 06-17-2016 03:34 AM

Lucky day number 13. Feeling good going into my second weekend. A close friends father passed away, so I have a wake on Saturday and will try to meet up while he's still in town.

Been spending most of my spare time weeding my garden beds and planting annuals I started from seed. The planting isn't bad, but I really let the weeds take over in spots, letting the weeds.go to seed last year. My veggie garden is actually looking pretty good. I made.it bigger this year and added sweet corn and red potatos, they're both up already. The corn is mostly to hide my neighbors garbage. I also like to mix sunflowers in the garden and they are up almost 2 feet high so far.

luvmygirls 06-17-2016 03:44 AM

nmd, that sounds amazing! I have a black thumb, but would LOVE to learn how to plant a vegetable garden. I may have to consult with you. :)

Erratic 06-17-2016 03:47 AM

Day 5

Been bz this morn so wasn't able to post until now. Good luck to everyone for today. I have long work day ahead of me so will check in tonight or tomo

Xx have a good day x

callmemilly 06-17-2016 05:27 AM

It's 830 in the morning and I'm already thinking about drinking which is pretty sad.

I feel like it's going to be a long day. I feel weak.

Today I'm travelling by train to see an old therapist I used to have. I work on the train back and forth. I get irritable about work things and that makes me want to drink. I need to cone up with some kind of strategy or plan, all I normally do is grit my teeth.

SnazzyDresser 06-17-2016 05:31 AM

I've got 9 days complete now, today is 10. I'm still doing good. I had some vague unformed thoughts last night that some beer would be nice while I watched the USA-Ecuador match and the NBA Finals, but it never got anywhere in my mind. No purchase for such nonsense. I remain ever vigilant to fend off future challenges to my hard-won sobriety.

I do need to stop drinking so much coffee though. I have some weight left to lose but I'm gonna put off serious efforts in that department for the time being. And I'm naturally losing a little now just taking away the 27-32 beers I was drinking every day, so crazy.

Jane8 06-17-2016 05:53 AM

Morning June friends,
Congrats to everyone on your sober time. I got through my first hurdle which is always day 4. Starting day 5 and it's Friday.....another trigger day. But I have no desire to drink tonight. I'm just way too tired and sick of starting over to even consider it.
Sleeping pretty well, but I'm experiencing a lot of small panic attacks and anxiety.
I'm not a daily drinker so I'm a little surprised, I didn't have this many last time. Just trying to breath and get through them.
Hope everyone has a wonderful, sober weekend!

NorthernLass 06-17-2016 06:16 AM

Hello, Its me, again. Well I pretty much gave up my sobriety. So now I am back at Day 1. In the past I have given up, thinking, well no one cares if I drink or not so why not just drink? A friend said I have to do it for myself. Get a sense of accomplishment. She's right. So here I am.
Also been reading up on sobriety. People drink to mask feelings, or give them courage in difficult situations. Yup. So stopping the drink makes you face up to those feelings and you have to deal with them and it makes you stronger rather than hiding behind a bottle. I knew that but reading about it made an impression. Have a good day/night wherever you are!

luvmygirls 06-17-2016 06:17 AM

Day 21. Overall, I feel a bit better in the sense that I don't want to strangle every single person I meet (just most of them). ;) I've also had some moments of real gratitude, related to my family, my home, and my job...all good things. Tonight, there is an event at my kids' school, and I'm worried about it. I will see lots of people I know and have to be very "on," if you know what I mean. Luckily, the school year is almost over, so our packed schedule will ease up soon.

TryingInTexas 06-17-2016 06:18 AM

Hello Day 3. I feel basically positive but had this thought on the way into work. Yes it is good to say "Life is good." That sort of talk reaffirms, invigorates - celebrates, even (especially if you really feel it, even for a moment!) But more important I think is just "Life is." I'm alive and breathing - in spite of myself, even. Is it good or bad? I don't know. But simply living is good enough for me this morning as I go about my business.

Wastinglife 06-17-2016 09:14 AM

Day 28. Alcohol was so good at removing uncomfortable feelings. Anxiety, loneliness, and boredom are always with me. Knowing that a few pints at a pub can bring a temporary feeling of well being has always been the biggest challenge to staying sober. Those first 4-5 drinks and the warm buzz they bring is what I am always chasing but I just end up drinking myself into a stupor, never being able to maintain that feeling the first few drinks give me. That 'sweet spot ' only lasts a couple hours at most. So much damage caused just for a couple hours of feeling content.

nmd 06-17-2016 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by luvmygirls (Post 6003423)
nmd, that sounds amazing! I have a black thumb, but would LOVE to learn how to plant a vegetable garden. I may have to consult with you. :)

It's a good sober hobby, i wish I had more time fore it. I got chickens for their eggs last year and also have pet rabbits. Both produce ample "compost" that goes right in the garden (the best fertilizer). It's hard to catch up on everything, but at least now I don't have lost days or weekends to drinking and hangovers. Some previous years I planted, but really let stuff go.

Caramel 06-17-2016 12:33 PM

Well that's irritating!
I just composed a magnificent post, addressing everyone on this page by name, offering encouragement, congratulations, admiration etc etc, clicked "post" and it vanished and I was logged out!
Please, everyone, take it as read, will you?
Very best wishes from me on Day 3 xxx :grouphug:

CharlyK 06-17-2016 02:59 PM

Day 4

Doing well today. I started the day out with a run on the trail with my friend. I've been keeping busy with chores too. I've been finding that keeping busy is helping me through these early days. It doesn't give me a chance to think about drinking. Checking in on here is always helpful too.

callmemilly 06-17-2016 03:19 PM

Thanks caramel and everyone.

My cravings passed but it was hard this morning and then again around 4. This afternoon it helped when I thought- why do want to drink? Bc I feel annoyed and frustrated at work...well drinking doesn't help that it just numbs me out so I don't do anything to change it.

Drinking bc I have a craving is the best/worst reason to drink, the number 1 sign I shouldn't bc they only get stronger over time.

Anyway 1 day at a time is right, and got through today so far.

My old therapist challenged me to do something about being frustrated at work. I just feel bored, taken advantage of etc . Not challenged.

So I feel renewed and challenged to try something different and take care of myself.

Tonight another baseball game on tv and housework when I get restless.

Thanks for reading and have a nice night all.

Wigglyworm 06-17-2016 11:11 PM

Morning everyone :grouphug: day 3. Got an OK nights sleep and off to work today. Not looking forward too tonight though. Saturday is a long day at work and Sunday is my day off, so Saturday night is tough for me but the decision is already made - no drink tonight!

Congratulations to everyone on here whatever day you are on, I'm proud and humbled to be part of this thread with you all!

JL2014 06-18-2016 02:37 AM

Sober Saturday starting up.
Not feeling like I'm gonna stick to low carb today ! Haha

nmd 06-18-2016 04:37 AM

Right there with you JL on not sticking to the diet. Been drinking a bit more coffee again too, but not totally overdoing it, just 2 big cups a day. Anything to manage halt.

Day 14. My calendar for today originally had a brewers festival, which I'm obviously not going to. I've flip flopped a lot on and off the wagon in the past few years and my inconsistent plans reflect it. I've been working to set that right, undoing plans that would lead to relapse. Thankfully, I didn't plan any vacations that involve drinking during a recent relapse. Once I make it through my wedding in August we are doing a low key honeymoon, bed and breakfasts and sight seeing. This being my second wedding, I look forward to remembering this one.

I got to see my friend whose father passed away yesterday and have the wake today. He's a non drinker, so that was a non issue, though i would have been there anyways. Tough way for him to spend father's day weekend.