SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of March 2016 Part 18 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/392212-class-march-2016-part-18-a.html)

Bobbieka 06-02-2016 01:26 PM

Of course I just went and watched Wonderboy on youtube. His form is amazing.

McGregor/Mayweather - I'm trying to imagine. McGregor can punch, but boxing and the rules are so different from MMA.

Spacegoat 06-02-2016 01:33 PM

True that. His last match (vs Hendricks) was a striking clinic and created a massive buzz in the MMA world, a marquee win. Really humble and wholesome guy to boot, has his own academy that teaches kids. I'm all for him!

Yeah Floyd would easily win that and it would generate big numbers (and denigrate boxing even further) which is why he will take it! McGregor actually has good amateur boxing experience and great punching, but still…

You may like this Bobbie, some good TKD stuff in here…

I love technical breakdowns like this but mostly I enjoy the psychological interplay between the fighters tbh :herewego

Bobbieka 06-02-2016 01:50 PM

Watched some. Will watch the rest tonight. I was in my early 30's first time I sparred. At first, if I landed a good blow, I would apologize. That didn't last though. Turns out, I like fighting. lol

ManInTheArena 06-02-2016 01:52 PM

+1 for the martial arts training, Kiki. I don't know why that didn't cross my mind. I took TKD for years, made it to 2nd Dan. Very old school and traditional dojo. Nobody got disrespected - just the opposite. I put both my kids into Tang Soo Do. It was a very worthwhile experience, although my daughter dropped out after just a few years.

Sounds like everyone is having a good day :). Loving the videos, images and jokes!!

CaseyW 06-02-2016 02:02 PM

Easy day at work. Going to go do laundry and have dinner with the family. Probably going to an 8 pm AA meeting after that if weather permits. Will check back in later! I lost my FitPieceOfPaper so will have to start over tomorrow. Stay sober everyone! No matter what!

Spacegoat 06-02-2016 02:10 PM

It gets better as it goes Bobbie. A section was removed due to copyright, so it doesn't make much sense at one point (where Crocop appears)

Been in a few fights myself growing up, it was par for the course. People were encouraging me to join the local kickboxing club but it's too much contact now for me now.

I'd prefer not to punch or kick anyone and vice versa, if possible! I've always had an interest in martial arts though, took a few karate lessons as a kid but that's it.

I probably should pursue a discipline if I had the confidence, it would certainly be honoring my inner (and outer!) child.

MITA good to see you. Some of the coolest people I meet happen to have a background in martial arts and you wouldn't necessarily know it. I'l look up Tang Soo Doo, thanks.

Think I'l get a bath for myself soon, 10pm here.

KiKi0615 06-02-2016 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spacegoat (Post 5980830)
Sounds like it would be perfect for him KiKi. It's essentially a solitary discipline, and sensitivity is always good. True martial artists are great guys. Stephen Wonderboy Thompon (my fave) or even Super Sage Northcutt e.g. Also I can never pass up on a opportunity to post one of these remixes, but it's a good one. Bruce Lee was short! <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EygqL--RW4">YouTube Link</a>

That Bruce Lee remix is awesome!

I am going to start researching martial arts places ASAP!

I'm gonna be starting Yoga for ME soon! My cousin beat PTSD AND alcoholism with yoga. He now teaches it.

KiKi0615 06-02-2016 02:17 PM

(((Kayak)))!!!!!!!!

How are you? We missed you!!! :-)

Bobbieka 06-02-2016 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ManInTheArena (Post 5980970)
+1 for the martial arts training, Kiki. I don't know why that didn't cross my mind. I took TKD for years, made it to 2nd Dan. Very old school and traditional dojo. Nobody got disrespected - just the opposite. I put both my kids into Tang Soo Do. It was a very worthwhile experience, although my daughter dropped out after just a few years.

Sounds like everyone is having a good day :). Loving the videos, images and jokes!!

Not familiar with Dan so I looked it up. If I'm reading it correctly 2nd Dan is a black belt. Good on you! Man in the Arena. Many meanings I suspect.

ManInTheArena 06-02-2016 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbieka (Post 5981005)
Not familiar with Dan so I looked it up. If I'm reading it correctly 2nd Dan is a black belt. Good on you! Man in the Arena. Many meanings I suspect.

You got it. I was never the most talented martial arts student, but I worked hard and was in good shape at the time. While there is a lot more to it than just sparring, that was always the part I liked best. I stopped once I could no longer compete with the "kids".

Spacegoat, the Cheezic TSD FederatIon is big here in the Northeast part of the U.S. They do have some international schools, and one in Ireland, but I don't remember where.

Kayak!!! Welcome back. Keep those poems coming!!

KiKi0615 06-02-2016 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kayak63sc (Post 5980859)
My tears have made puddles, which then turned into oceans, until there's no more land. I didn't make a boat. I thought it would subside, but now I'm drowning in the rising tides.

I really like your poems Kayak. Have you been drinking today or are you starting over? We'd love to have you back with us! There are several of us with just a few days to a few weeks so no shame. The only shame is giving up!

Welcome back!

immri 06-02-2016 03:07 PM

Hi all :)
Well I had a meltdown yesterday. No drinking just lots of crying. Yesterday wasn't a great day, I ran into my ex, had a fight with someone I love and another close friend relapsed and was suicidal. My friend is getting help so that turned out OK and I was reasonably calm just a bit down until the fight, which was really just a misunderstanding but I felt attacked so I got upset.

I realised I'm so bad at setting and knowing boundaries and I never know what's crossing the line, what's me just being sensitive, how much I should put up with when it feels purposefully hurtful. Idk. I've always been bad at this, I either let someone get away with far too much until it's completely abusive, or I'm too reactionary and intolerant and won't let people state their differences. I'm definitely aware of myself doing it, I just find it difficult. I need to find a healthy balance.

I was happy with how I handled it after the 'fight' though, I had a big cry which was probably a bit dramatic but I think I needed it, did a little yoga and just went to bed. I feel much better today so I guess that worked, definitely better than my usual reaction of 'f* it, I'm drinking'

immri 06-02-2016 03:08 PM

Kayak oh it's so nice to see you I've been thinking of you! I'm glad you're here :)

CaseyW 06-02-2016 03:46 PM

Good to see you, Kayak.

Glad today is a better day for you, immri.

Hope everyone else is doing well. About to eat dinner with my folks. Meeting after that.

Purplrks3647 06-02-2016 04:45 PM

Thanks Kiki for the article - and I also agree on the martial arts classes (can I go too???) :)

Bobbie - I had never heard that joke before - LOL!!!

Today my AV was being a persistent little whiner....has been ALOT lately. Like "Why can't I have a 'cheat' day like what's done with exercise...it really pisses me off that I can't just go out and have a f****ng drink"

Then it occurred to me: "You may as well call up one of your no-good exes for a one-night stand" --- EWWW! GROSS!

Glad to hear from everyone & sorry I'm not good at the individual messages. Thanks again, friends! :You_Rock_

samantha14 06-02-2016 05:24 PM

It's kind of quiet in here tonight....how is everyone doing?

I am back from prom and she looked absolutely amazing - I felt like a pretty proud mama :) I couldn't help thinking while we were at the park taking pictures that the experience was so much better without a hangover :)

Taking it easy tonight - DH and I had an argument about how I always question if he is going to leave me or "give up on me" and how I always say I am unlovable. He said it is hard for him to hear.....I had a cry....and now things are weird.....bleh :( But I am sober.....

KiKi0615 06-02-2016 05:26 PM

Hi guys,

HELP!!! I need some encouraging words or advice. I'm so angry and since I don't drink anymore, I have to FEEL these feelings and it sucks!

I told you guys that my 13 year old son gets bullied at school and all his friends "dumped" him. My heart breaks for him!

Well...about an hour ago I was walking my dog and saw a big group of kids hanging out and having fun and it was all my son's "old" friends! My son was home alone and these kids just ignore his attempts to hang out etc.

I just don't get it!!! What did my son do??? He is a really nice kid. He's not a "nerd". He's athletic. He's smart. He's good looking. He's funny. He's a good kid!

Soooo....I started thinking maybe it's MY fault! The first time I got sober he was in preschool and I stayed sober until he was in 6th grade before relapsing. Since I'm a bar drinker, maybe some of their parents saw me out at bars & drunk etc? I KNOW their were times I acted like an idiot while drinking! Maybe rumors started???

Maybe it's ALL MY FAULT because they don't want their kids to be friends with a kid who has a DRUNK as a mother! Ugh....

samantha14 06-02-2016 05:30 PM

It is NOT your fault Kiki - kids are mean and cruel and they change who they like and dislike daily. NOT YOUR FAULT!!

samantha14 06-02-2016 05:35 PM

Don't take a drink Kiki - think about how much you will most definitely regret it tomorrow

beerbgone 06-02-2016 05:40 PM

Goodnight Marchers. It's ice cream and BBT time! See ya' tomorrow.