SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of July 2012 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/261169-class-july-2012-a.html)

Dee74 07-04-2012 01:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome back o2binsd - are you thinking of what you might add to your programme this time?

Good luck with the gigs Sentso - try to focus on the music :)

Did I look like this MTN? lol....

Have a good day everyone!
D

MyTimeNow 07-04-2012 01:42 AM

lol Dee, no... that *would* have been silly ;) actually you looked a lot like Bob Marley :dunno

Hope your day 5 gets better Sentso :)

Really4Real 07-04-2012 05:22 AM

MTN.... classic dream! Almost very true though. We have missed out on a lot... and yeah, in a way, we have to go back to basics. And I totally agree that I'm not ready for the outside world.
I crashed yesterday and early this morning... took my half-sister out because I promised I would... and I couldn't handle it. She ordered a drink..... I ordered a drink. Then into the morning hours there was a party across the street.

So, my official day is July 5.... going to a meeting later today though.

I still believe we can all do this. So many people out there HAVE conquered alcoholism.... we can do the same.

stevie88 07-04-2012 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Really4Real (Post 3473189)
MTN.... classic dream! Almost very true though. We have missed out on a lot... and yeah, in a way, we have to go back to basics. And I totally agree that I'm not ready for the outside world.
I crashed yesterday and early this morning... took my half-sister out because I promised I would... and I couldn't handle it. She ordered a drink..... I ordered a drink. Then into the morning hours there was a party across the street.

So, my official day is July 5.... going to a meeting later today though.

I still believe we can all do this. So many people out there HAVE conquered alcoholism.... we can do the same.

Hey R4R how you doing....Me and you have been in quite a few classes together and i really thought you were gonna make it in the june class...I keep stopping by this class just to check on how you are doing....Come on now...I hope this is the last class you are gonna be in.....

lifewithoutbooz 07-04-2012 09:11 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that things may be turning around after 12+ years of non-stop drinking with my husband. I tried to quit so many times but couldn't do it without his support. I finally decided to move my things and live upstairs until I decided if after 15 years I wanted in or out of the marriage.

After a few days (he was positive I'd cave in and move back downstairs), he realized I was dead serious. He went to see his doctor and actually ADMITTED he had a drinking problem and needed to quit to save the marriage. I've been wanting to hear him say this for a LOOOONG time. He's going back to AA and he bought us both a gym membership so we can go work out together in the afternoons during our 'craving' time.

I pray this is long term but I just wanted to thank all of the great people I've met so far on SR - for all the encouraging words and showing me there is hope out there and it CAN be done. I love you all!!!! Keep posting!!

sarah1414 07-04-2012 09:12 AM

Come on R4R! You can do this. You have to decide you won't pick up that drink no matter what. I know it's hard, but it's a whole lot harder living in the addiction. I'm rooting for you and I know you're going to make it happen (with God's help. :)

Dee, You are quite the professor. Thank you!

Mytime, Love the dream.

Looking forward to a great Independence Day with the family. Day 3 for me and feeling great. I've accomplished so much more in the last two days then I ever would have if I were hungover and feeling gross.

Have a great one all.

russ32 07-04-2012 10:09 AM

Just want to join this thread, as i'm officially trying to kick the booze as of 4 days ago.

I'm just gonnna try and do July and take things from there, the last time I stayed sober for a month was about 10 years ago!

Its gonna be tough thats for sure, but its good knowing there are people out there who are doing the same.

MyTimeNow 07-04-2012 10:56 AM

Welcome Russ 4 days is a great start !

Hope you and the family are enjoying a lovely day Sarah.

Really positive news lwb!! A new start for both of you! I do hope it works out, sounds like you both really want it to and that's half the battle won.

Hope you are ok R4R and made it to your meeting.

So... it has been 2 weeks since I joined SR and my has it been a rocky ride. If it hadn't have been I'd still be in the June class ;) BUT... I'm sitting here feeling strangely good, really good. I'm not moaning by any stretch of the imagination, but it does feel odd! I feel awake, alert, dare I say it - energetic. I'm pushing thoughts out of my head saying to me - considering Monday, you should NOT be feeling like this and replacing them with I'm going to make the most of it, hush negativity!

I think that although it hasn't been plain sailing for the last 14 days I've still gained a lot of insight, knowledge and strength and I've also lost a lot of the fear - but what am I going to do with myself in the evenings? How am I going to shut off at the end of the day? Where is MY fun going to come from? I feel silly posting this as it is such early days, but I wanted to whilst I feel so positive.

I'd get on the Wii fit and do some hula and some step but I took the batteries out yonks ago for something far more deserving like the TV remotes - hmmm. So tomorrow - battery buying!

Ok, I'll stop there - and that class of July was my evening cup of tea wittering post :) I'll be back in the morning with more ;)

copperfield 07-04-2012 11:04 AM

I'm trying again too

o2binsd 07-04-2012 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3473053)
Welcome back o2binsd - are you thinking of what you might add to your programme this time?

I have enlisted the help of a mentor of mine. She lives quite a distance from me so is not a formal "sponser", but will be helpful in guiding my selection of one when the time comes. She shared with me the mantra she has used for the past four years of her own sobriety..."Every day is day one"...I like the idea of this mindset a lot. Have to get ready for the festivities of the day, now. Check back in this evening. Have a safe and sober 4th, everyone!

Robsta81 07-04-2012 11:33 AM

Day 2 down for me start my anti abuse before bed been a long hard day but I have come though sober:tyou

MyTimeNow 07-04-2012 11:37 AM

Hi copperfield and Robsta, well done on getting through your day 2 :)

Hope you have a great day o2binsd :)

BoozeBad 07-04-2012 12:41 PM

Can I join? I'm on day 4 after blowing it after a week. I like the everyday is day one idea. I've been getting some help from a local organisation, but with mixed success. Will be good hearing from people in the same boat.

Change4good 07-04-2012 06:27 PM

Watching the fireworks. Realize that in the past ten years, I have only been sober on the fourth of July twice. . .when I was pregnant with each kid.

Now I can add three sober July 4ths. :-)

Rest well July class. Peace.

C

whiskeyman 07-04-2012 06:37 PM

hey everyone.
one more week and i am one year, woo hooo

TimW 07-04-2012 06:42 PM

Day 3. Health has been shot, but I'm getting heaps of exercise and staying positive. Once you break the first addiction wall, Days 1 and 2 are usually pretty easy. For me at least. I have a food addiction that doesn't work in conjunction with getting drunk, so it's easy to just turn to that in this period. Day 1 is always horrible. Because alcohol disturbs sleep, you never really sleep properly on the Day 0 night. In fact, sleep doesn't resemble anything toward normal until 2 weeks in. At least last night I got the hours ... 3, then up for 3, then sleep for 6 more.

I call days 3 - 8 the first Hot zone. In my experience, something like 95 percent of relapse occurs between these days. Once I get to Day Nine, I find getting to 2 weeks an achievable task. I would say Days 9 - 25 would be the next hot zone. It's much easier than the first ... probably requires a quarter of the effort to stay sober. I haven't gotten past this often, but when I have it's like I'm not even thinking about alcohol.

Anyway, I know it's for real this time. I'm seeing it through :)

brdlvr 07-04-2012 07:40 PM

Made it thru today. Had cravings almost all day. I'm glad I didn't drink today but I'm a bit grumpy and not all Whoo hoo I didn't drink today. Told a friend that if it stays as has hard as it was today....

EternalQ 07-04-2012 08:38 PM

From The February 2012 Class

Hi Everyone!

I am from the Feb 2012 class and am just popping in to reassure you that YOU CAN DO THIS!

I am practically 150 consecutive days sober now, and in February, I never thought such a thing was possible! I drank daily for about 12 years and SR is what gave me the hope, strength and courage to stop the madness.

I know the beginning weeks are SOOO tough.. But each month after that you become stronger and steadier. Doing something difficult makes you stronger. You know what life looks like with addiction. Now you are starting to see what it is like without it. Each week further you get, you see more!! It's a story worth seeing firsthand!

Hang close to SR for as long and as often as it takes. Use whatever methods work for you. Just don't drink, NO MATTER WHAT, and you will free yourself from this trap!!

Congratulations on all you've done so far! We all believe in you! :c011:

MyTimeNow 07-04-2012 10:46 PM

Thursday morning :)

Squeaky stairs and trying to sneak past a 3 year olds room at 6am was always going to fail one day. Doh!

Still feeling good, another night of class related dreams, we were lined up in the park for some reason... we've been allowed into the outside world! At least the dreams aren't drinking dreams.

I slept well but still must have had things whirring round in my mind. Things like I keep calling it early days but I've recognised I've been battling and wanting to change for many years now. 6 years ago I had a good job and was studying for an IT degree. I even ran my own business for a short while (very unsuccessfully lol!) That was when booze pretty much took over and I allowed it to with some gusto. I was very open with work and sought help via the company doctor, only to find my line manager had let all my colleagues know what was going on! I couldn't handle that. I walked.

Not sure why I'm rambling about all that... just I think that I knew then things needed to change but they never did. They do now!

Today is my nan's birthday!! So i'm heading over to hers and then taking her out to lunch. Wine money not spent was spent yesterday on the prettiest bouquet of flowers. Looking at them now and they make me feel far cheerier than a bottle of booze ever did :)

Thanks for the encouraging post EternalQ, great to see and much appreciated!

Welcome to any newcomers :)

There endeth my Thursday morning cuppa ramble!

Have a great day everybody!!

MyTimeNow 07-04-2012 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Change4good (Post 3474190)
Watching the fireworks. Realize that in the past ten years, I have only been sober on the fourth of July twice. . .when I was pregnant with each kid.

Now I can add three sober July 4ths. :-)

Rest well July class. Peace.

C

Well done Change4good! :)

There was a post on another thread I read yesterday about pregnancy and if you can just stop then you can just stop anytime. It got me thinking. I stopped for both my pregnancies and then started again... why? Well now I believe that of course not only is it easier to do it when you HAVE to and for an innocent life, but all the way through pregnancy I felt deprived... watching the ex still drinking, seeing him go out and drink etc... Like it wasn't my choice and I was powerless over the decision made for me. I think we are in a much better place when we give up through choice, recognise we are in charge and that it is something we WANT. So all the best Change4good and next year you can add a 4th 4th!! :)