SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VIII (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/202157-fantabulous-secular-connections-check-part-viii.html)

TallWater 10-17-2011 03:10 AM

I'm spitting seeds.

gneiss 10-17-2011 03:18 AM

I hope they were watermelon seeds. They're fun to spit. Just sayin'.

simian66 10-17-2011 04:54 PM

I was doing ok I guess... then I saw shockozulu's post about the Human League! Now I'm doing GREAT!!! Just love the synthpop!

shockozulu 10-18-2011 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by simian66 (Post 3140584)
I was doing ok I guess... then I saw shockozulu's post about the Human League! Now I'm doing GREAT!!! Just love the synthpop!

My kind of SR member! I'm still a synthpop freak after all these years. If you haven't seen this BBC4 Documentary, its a must see.

BBC Synth Britannia - YouTube

simian66 10-18-2011 01:42 AM

Great! Thanks for the link. Watching it now. I've seen bits of it before... the Chris and Cosey part. I'm a big T.G fan:). Once I got off the drugs, I started building my own synths! Still soldering on...

gneiss 10-19-2011 08:25 PM

Woot! I got the Zumba workout DVDs, and they're actually kinda working for me. I got a bit lazy the last couple months! Yikes!! Starting to feel a little better about things.

Can I admit something? I miss two things about dope: 1) I never had migraines while using, and 2) The easy weight loss. Totally wasn't worth everything else, of course. And wouldn't go back to it, period. But still...

shockozulu 10-21-2011 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by simian66 (Post 3140935)
Great! Thanks for the link. Watching it now. I've seen bits of it before... the Chris and Cosey part. I'm a big T.G fan:). Once I got off the drugs, I started building my own synths! Still soldering on...

Glad you are enjoying the documentary.

I am so jealous that you can build your own synths. When Don't You Want Me came out, all I wanted for Christmas was a Synthesizer, they were so expensive my parents along with my best friend's parents pooled together to get us one. I was 11 years old and I remember all I said was "It has to say Roland" on it. And we did get a Roland that year.

I don't remember the make and model because it was so long ago but we loved that thing to death.

The funny thing is, as big of a Human League fan that I am, I dislike Don't You Want Me. Its only now that its growing on me.

simian66 10-21-2011 03:17 AM

Ha shockozulu! We must be around the same age. When I stopped the drug abuse, I sat lamenting the loss of my Jupiter 4. ...so I googled 'make synth' ...ended up on a forum elsewhere and got hooked!

I think developing a hobby is really important in the early stages of kicking a habit. Well, it was for me. I'm not an Electrical Engineer or anything. I just solder by numbers! It beats taking drugs. I guess its a healthier obsession. I'm building a TR808 drum machine at the moment, in stages. Those men in the white lab coats at Roland really knew their stuff! Can't beat analogue! Blah blah... going off topic here...

Yes, I don't play Don't You Want Me all that often either. Dare is a great album though! Plenty of great tracks!

EDIT: PS, I guess Phil Oakey is your 'higher power'? haha

gneiss 10-21-2011 09:07 PM

Only know one thing about the synth: Moog. That's pretty much it. Except that they sound kinda cool. :)

Having one of those nights where something (someone) has kinda ticked me off. And just as annoying as that, I have nothing to take my mind off it. And I don't want to use, there's not craving or temptation. But I used to drink this feeling off. I'd take a few sips and that tight feeling would ease. Basically, I know it worked. The fact that I still haven't figured out a more constructive way to deal with that feeling kinda bothers me. 2 years without drinking and drugs and my only solution to being both ticked off and bored is to sit there and be ticked off and bored. Or rant about it on SC :)

OK, self. It'll get better. Maybe just get some sleep, tomorrow it won't seem like such a big deal.

simian66 10-25-2011 04:55 AM

After believing I was powerless over the messy state of my home, I finally realised I did cause it, could control it, and could cure it! It took two years, but I found my higher power in a bucket of warm bleach and a pair of rubber gloves!

I can't believe how dirty everything had become! I've cleaned the windows, washed the curtains, wiped the walls and mopped the floors... I guess this is what normal people do.

Still got power tools stored in the kitchen cupboard, but hey, I don't want to get too carried away, right?

gneiss 11-14-2011 06:32 PM

Checking in. I just got transferred to North Dakota for work. It's a cool place so far. But seriously? After about 13 years in Oklahoma I sound like a hick. Y'all. Goin', Doin'. Bein'.

simian66 11-17-2011 01:32 AM

Greetings all.... Checking in again... Had a really crap day, but drugs wouldn't have helped.

I've been waiting to be paid for 18 months for some graphic design work I did. I've been promised payment time and time again to no avail. Today I had to threaten legal action to recover the debt, and I received a part payment with a lot of grumbling. It's a real shame as I considered this person a friend.

I guess in sobriety I am learning to stand up for myself. I'm learning self worth. I guess that's a positive thing. I just feel sad it had to come to this. Tomorrow is a new day.

shockozulu 12-02-2011 05:50 AM

Getting up now from my Alter of Oakey. Doing well today despite lack of sleep. Was laughing a bit as I was listening to The Dead Milkmen's "Instant Club Hit(You'll Dance to Anything) right after listening Pete Shelley's Homosapien which is the exact type of music the Dead Milkmen are teasing. I can't help it though, Shelley really was ahead of his time, which is whey I think he failed even with his Rushert produced album.

simian66, finding self worth was so important to me. I find that I'm learning so much on my journey.

simian66 12-02-2011 06:04 AM

Pete shelley is a wonderful man! He's so generous with his time. I met him a couple of times. Love the Buzzcocks! He's written some great punk love songs, regardless of sexual orientation.

Yes, self worth. Need to concentrate on this one. I'm learning some lessons in this department... I could do with some sleep too!

gneiss 12-03-2011 11:59 PM

Self worth. Oh dear. I have a serious inner voice problem. I need to tell my inner voice to shut up, it's not very nice to me.

TallWater 01-10-2012 01:29 AM

Seeds of despair :P

Where is everyone? :(

Zencat 01-10-2012 04:52 PM

Sometimes the Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in thread gets neglected. How are you doing TallWater?

gneiss 01-14-2012 04:52 AM

Haven't been on here in a while. Hello everyone. I'm still here.

My job transfer is going ok, just kinda lonely and since I don't have friends here it's pretty boring and a little sad. The guys I work with asked me to the bar a couple days ago but a) I don't drink anymore and b) I don't go to the bar with 5 men I barely know. But it at least made me feel like they were ok with me (not many women here, sometimes it takes a while for the guys to get used to working with me... I'm one of 2 women at my company in the entire 3-state region I work in) and I could be friends with them at some point.

Sigh. I miss my friends.

HuskyPup 01-18-2012 10:44 AM

Hey everyone, have not been on in a while. Things have been up and down, a few good weeks, then a bad night...have been doing much self-searching, reading various books...still, I wish there was an open meeting I could go to and talk about these things with, but all there is here are those one meetings that I can not mention here. So there has been this deeply felt longing to be with others in recovery, to sit down and talk, put everything on the table, and not have it be based on any one program...and it seems so odd that no such groups exist, and even online, I have felt very alone in my recovery, and afraid to share very much...even here, I feel like I have to be very careful what I say, and have felt like the more I say, the more I will get attacked, especially outside of this thread, and a few others...have looked at other sites, but they seem very slow...not many posts, no real feeling of discussion. Have looked at starting a group, but I lack the $$$ to rent a space, and have had no real luck in the social networking dept. So have been kinda sad, trying to work this on my own and just rely on myself without the need for others, but yet, as an inherently social animal, there it is, that longing. Been hard, been kinda sad, that's why I have not posted much, just not much response to the spiral steps or alternative ideas, so I gave up sharing, as it seemed to lack any real communications value. Communications breakdown, as the song goes, I guess.

Bamboozle 01-18-2012 02:10 PM

Checking in.

Still sober. It will be three years in April. I'm doing well with not drinking but I'm eating myself into larger clothing--I haven't been able to beat that one. I feel 'in between'...my mental health isn't great but no therapy and meds is better than bad therapy and meds.

Hello to all.