Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VIII

Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VIII

Join us in Part 8!

For those who missed the end of Check-in Part VII:

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
Someone asked me yesterday if I'd seen the Emily Rose thing. Exorcism isn't my thing though. lol
I fast forwarded past the exorcism scenes. I can do that this time since I'm not in the theater. However, as someone that is totally interested in mind over matter I wanted to see it again. The book goes in a lot more detail on the sociological side, obviously, than the movie but I still found it interesting. The trailers made it look like The Exorcist Part V but its really more of a court room trial type of film.

Now I'm watching a film on The Weathermen of the late '60s to mid '70s. Its interesting to hear some of the members discuss how immature they were coming out of college, while others discuss their beliefs as if the Vietnam War excused their violent actions.

Once I'm done with that film, I have Dr. Strangelove and The Naked Gun 2 1/2 (yeah its dumb but funny as hell) lined up. Can you tell Hulu is my friend now that Celebrity Apprentice is over?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Dr. Strangelove is good.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Dr. Strangelove is good.
Its one of my favorite Kubrick movies. Glad to see another "fan" here

Well, off to bed for me...its only 4:30 am
Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I needed that.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love that song. A skating friend of mine used to do his exhibition program to this song for a couple years. He always got a standing ovation.

I'm just so tired tonight. My blood sugar has been very high for me so I'm having to do a full diet change. No more sugar drinks for me. I hate diet drinks but did find one I can stand. Of all things, its that Bret Michael's Trop-A-Rocka Snapple that was featured in the final Celebrity Apprentice. You really don't taste the diet sweetner, which I hate. So until they pull it I have something to drink besides water LOL.

Hope you all are doing better than I am!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hope you feel better soon, Alera.

I know it's not the same, but how about drinking plain carbonated water? Maybe with a splash of juice...or just a lemon wedge?

I'm doing really good today. I haven't felt like this in a long time. I hope it lasts.

Take it easy, heathens.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Hope you feel better soon, Alera.

I know it's not the same, but how about drinking plain carbonated water? Maybe with a splash of juice...or just a lemon wedge?

I'm doing really good today. I haven't felt like this in a long time. I hope it lasts.

Take it easy, heathens.
Good idea. Generally I just drink water, with a soda maybe twice a week. However, this week the soda was showing up in my blood sugar levels for two days. No more for me. We have a lemon tree in our back yard, I'll get a couple later for that water.

I'll be getting some more of that one Snapple flavor since its a limited release. I'm also getting ready to send a snail mail letter to the company letting them know if they decide to keep this flavor they'll have a new customer.

Although I don't have diabetes I do have a condition that causes my body to go into a condition similar to Type I so I have to rely on insulin. With this, I don't like to fool around with adding any sugar to my diet.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Aspartame sweetener is awful to me, I can taste it so strongly. The rest aren't excellent either but I can usually handle them. Hope you feel well Alera.

I went canoeing today, haven't in ages. I even managed to get my dog to stay fairly centered in the canoe (except when she decided she needed a drink and darnit, there was a whole lake full of water. Close call there!) It was fun, even in the 97-and-humid weather. Sunburned and tired tonight.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Any pics, gneiss?

Sounds like fun.

I fell out of a canoe once. I was too busy goofing off with the paddle trying to splash my friends. Weeble-wobble, weeble-wobble was all it took and it flipped.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Didn't take many pics, was a little worried about my klutzy self + camera + water.

Tonight is the first time in months I've really wanted to hit the bars. I didn't have a particularly rough day, but I still want a drink. Luckily I live in Jesusland and bars/liquor stores aren't open on Sundays. Hooray for ridiculous levels of conservativeness!! LOL
Old 06-09-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I was having such a great day.

My mom told me about an hour ago that my uncle died this morning.

I hope you all are having a better day than me.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bam, .....sorry for your loss .

Last edited by topspin; 06-09-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: ?
Old 06-09-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

So sorry ((Bam))
Old 06-09-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Sorry, Bam. *hugs*
Old 06-10-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear, Bam.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Bam, so sorry to hear of your loss.

Today I went to see my mother at the rest home. She gave me the phone number of her ex-husband who is dying, so I'm going to call him later. She said he likes to talk and it isn't that hard to be a listening ear.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

(((Bam)))
Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I don't know what my deal is the last couple days. I'm happier than I have been in a while, I'm really doing well. I've cast off a couple more friends I decided weren't helping me stay sober (or at least not hinder my progress), which has left me with a fair amount of time to twiddle my thumbs. I think I'm just bored. Yesterday I wanted a drink, but didn't drink anything. This afternoon, while innocently putting fuel in my car, my old coke dealer spotted me and turned in to the station to say hi. He told me to give him a call, and I'll admit I was tempted. I don't want to do drugs, it wasn't the high I wanted this time. I wanted something to alleviate the tedious, boring day. I get paid tomorrow, I know I could float an ATM transaction and it would be alright. But it wouldn't stop there. I went for a drive instead, drove a couple towns over and attended a T-ball game with a coworker.

Meh. I've been quilting again. It helps a little bit, nice to get back to an old hobby. Almost done with my newest quilt, then back to the previous one to finish it up.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alera View Post
Bam, so sorry to hear of your loss.

Today I went to see my mother at the rest home. She gave me the phone number of her ex-husband who is dying, so I'm going to call him later. She said he likes to talk and it isn't that hard to be a listening ear.

Alera,

There's a John Prine song; ....Hello in There ....that's easy enough, even for me, to play. It's a very unusual song that really addresses this very situation.

Just went to utube and heard Natalie Merchant and Micheal Stipe cover this one, .........probably know this song to well, , ,

damn , it really gets to me.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Never settle.