SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VI (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/181369-fantabulous-secular-connections-check-part-vi.html)

windysan 08-18-2009 11:42 AM

http://joshcheshire.com/images/xander/beavis.gif

shockozulu 08-19-2009 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by gneiss (Post 2334670)

I cheated. I never really looked at my apartment before I moved in. Some friends have lived in the apartments I moved to so since they were all basically the same floor plan I just signed the papers.

Ahhh...the truth comes out :rotfxko

One of the places we looked at is willing to take us if we pay an extra deposit. Credit is fine, but they aren't happy about the student loans we don't pay back for 5+ years when we actually finish school. UGH! Today I'll try to talk the guy down to a reasonable deposit as he wants it rented desperately.

Three more places today to look at (maybe four) and ten calls to make. It's really hard to rent here right now because of the economy. Everyone wants the one bedrooms, as they are moving "down" from the two bedrooms. Also, the local college is starting in a few weeks so we're fighting for those units as well. Its driving me crazy.

I finally made a Google Docs Spreadsheet to keep track of all the places we are calling/visiting etc.

One place actually had a gas leak in the laundry room which made us sick on the tour and another is a granny "house" that is really a mini-studio (no living room AT ALL).

Gypsy Feet 08-19-2009 03:47 PM

gas company will check out the leak for free=) I am in santa barbara now. I am totally unsure of where I am living or how, but my mergirl soul sings by the beach, and my gypsy feet are free again=)

spittake 08-20-2009 10:30 AM

Good ol' So. Cal Gas... Be nice to those guys, they work hard! Er, sometimes.

Hug orgy!!!
:ghug2

HuskyPup 08-20-2009 12:22 PM

Ug. A bad night. Passed out, woke up with bruises, how did I get those? But at the same time, waking in a kind of fog, in this very hot weather where nothing seems real anymore. It is hard not to have AC in Baltimore when it's in the 90s........have felt weaker and weaker. I still have a pulse, I think.....

HP

windysan 08-20-2009 01:37 PM

greasy cheeseburger should help with that condition

shockozulu 08-20-2009 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet (Post 2337104)
gas company will check out the leak for free=) I am in santa barbara now. I am totally unsure of where I am living or how, but my mergirl soul sings by the beach, and my gypsy feet are free again=)

That's one of the reasons we can't leave the area. The beach. Its just too beautiful. Once I get this move thing settled down we'll have to get together!

HuskyPup 08-20-2009 04:43 PM

Wow, Santa Barbra, I was there once, that's a real fancy place. Pretty but pricey:)

Well, gonna be gone for days without the internet, still have not got a tech to come out to the house.........it's getting frustrating.

So I have a little break from work, hope I can be 'good'......

HP

mistycshore 08-20-2009 04:48 PM

I think I finally have a job. I'll know tomorrow morning, but I'm pretty sure I cinched it. There's good news and bad news though. Good news: It's full time (which is also bad news since I'm a full time student) and so the financial stuff should ease up in a hurry. It's graveyard shift, which definitely will not interfere with classes, but I'm going to have to work at getting 7 hours sleep each afternoon. Hubby will see me only on weekends, but now house and yard work will be fully his responsibility. I'd be working as night auditor at a hotel, and I am assured that there will be plenty of time to do homework while at work - that's gonna be what saves me.

Anyway, I'm partly relieved and partly dreading it. I haven't fared well on graveyard shifts in the past, but it's just until the end of the semester (hopefully). :)

Gypsy Feet 08-20-2009 07:09 PM

grats misty!

yay, id love to meet you=) Let me know if you see any places that have a closet or shed for rent in your search hahah=)

californiapoppy 08-21-2009 12:41 AM

I drank again last night, I didn't even try to fight the urge, it was something along the line of I've been good I deserve a drink. I've decided to start a sort of journal I usually don't take the time to write things down, I'm hoping maybe that will help me focus on my alcoholism and why I really want to quit drinking.

mistycshore 08-21-2009 02:58 PM

Poppy, sorry to hear that. I love the idea of journaling though. It's powerful, and empowering, to be a little further down the road and look back to where you were. It's funny that I can't exactly remember where I was in my head even last week - tricky brains we've got. I bet you find journaling helpful. As they say in nicotine recovery circles - never stop quitting.

I did get the job. It felt really good - after sending out so many resumes and filing so many applications and not getting a single call back. He was full of praise. He said that he had already decided if I showed up for the interview, he would offer me the job. He told me I was way overqualified (which I knew). He asked if I truly understood that it was $10 per hour. He also asked for a year's commitment (gentleman's agreement), which I gave him. He assured me that I would have at least six hours per night for homework and encouraged me to bring in my laptop, books, whatever I needed. So, since I'm already committed to this job, I've decided that instead of leaving school when I get my degree in December, I'm going to stay and get my teacher's certification. That would guarantee me a job in the local school district. Here, newly hired certified teachers only start at $30,000 per year, but that includes three months off in the summer, two weeks off in the winter, one week off in the spring, every federal holiday and sick leave. Sounds pretty good to me (going to sound a lot better after a year of working full-time and going to school full-time!).

My one regret is that I promised my daughter-in-law that I would be there for the birth of her first baby (my first grand-baby) because her mom won't be able to be there. I called today and told her about the job - and if she goes into labor while I'm on shift, I won't be able to leave because I'll be the only one there. She was cool with it though. Most first mom's have at least 12-hours in labor, so I should make it anyway - I hope.

I've already made an appointment to talk to someone on Monday about getting into the teacher licensure program. I'm starting to feel excited about the future again. For a while there, I was wondering if I would ever work again (scary thought).

Hugs to all,

windysan 08-21-2009 03:16 PM

capoppy, is you a akaholic?

mistycshore 08-21-2009 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by windysan (Post 2339319)

Is that the same as having a problem with alcohol . . . or is it different?

Zencat 08-21-2009 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by californiapoppy (Post 2338754)
I drank again last night, I didn't even try to fight the urge, it was something along the line of I've been good I deserve a drink. I've decided to start a sort of journal I usually don't take the time to write things down, I'm hoping maybe that will help me focus on my alcoholism and why I really want to quit drinking.

Taking a good look at all the thought process that influence your behavior is a good path to follow. Sometimes I think is cool to have a few brews. Yet at the same time I think otherwise. But as long as I don't act on my thoughts I come closer to understanding where I have control. Sure my mind goes all over the place: drink, don't drink, don't think, think about drinking and so on, with great detail and planning too...LOL.

For me it comes down to weather I act out or not....all thoughts aside. If I choose to act out...then I do. I can also choose to refrain from acting out. I can only do my best...and with that I feel accomplished. Because I stay in addiction treatment "no matter what" That I know I can do.

So stay and stick it out "no matter what", please poppy.

Hugz and love...

Zencat 08-21-2009 04:04 PM

http://www.timboucher.com/journal/wp...ms-tramps4.gif

Or not...dose it matter?

californiapoppy 08-22-2009 12:59 AM

I'm afraid so Windy...

californiapoppy 08-22-2009 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Zencat (Post 2339354)
Taking a good look at all the thought process that influence your behavior is a good path to follow. Sometimes I think is cool to have a few brews. Yet at the same time I think otherwise. But as long as I don't act on my thoughts I come closer to understanding where I have control. Sure my mind goes all over the place: drink, don't drink, don't think, think about drinking and so on, with great detail and planning too...LOL.

For me it comes down to weather I act out or not....all thoughts aside. If I choose to act out...then I do. I can also choose to refrain from acting out. I can only do my best...and with that I feel accomplished. Because I stay in addiction treatment "no matter what" That I know I can do.

So stay and stick it out "no matter what", please poppy.

Hugz and love...

I'll stick it out, the other option is terribly frightening, I wonder how I manage to forget.

californiapoppy 08-22-2009 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Zencat (Post 2339366)

but i'm cuter than he is

windysan 08-22-2009 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by californiapoppy (Post 2339673)
I'm afraid so Windy...

dang. you shouldn't drink then. i'm jes sayin is all. :laugh: