SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of September Part 1 2019 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/441570-class-september-part-1-2019-a.html)

thomas11 09-07-2019 08:21 AM

Don't typically participate in this forum. I am today. I need it.

venuscat 09-07-2019 08:24 AM

Sending love dear Thomas. :hug: s
Really glad you are here. xx

Pouncer 09-07-2019 09:36 AM

Congrats Karen! 11 days is awesome. Are you going to do anything special for yourself at week 2?

Had a close moment just now doing the dishes. My husband drinks wine, as I have mentioned, and left a 3/4 empty bottle out from last night (or 1/4 full). I thought about either: quickly drinking it; dumping it down the sink. I decided to do nothing. My reality has been getting sober in a house where alcohol is still around. It's what I have to work with. Working on a new sobriety plan this weekend and will incorporate the reality of booze-in-the-house into it. Like Sam Malone. :/

Thomas, I remember you from my last class several years back. Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. I don't know what time zone you are in, but if it's still early, can you find an activity or destination to distract yourself? Beach? Hiking? Movie? Window shopping? Wishing you strength and resolve today. :)

Runner1234 09-07-2019 11:32 AM

Venuscat....Thank you so much ...yes, yes, yes....Schmidt's...that was the restaurant:tyou Made me tear-up realizing how much I still miss mum...but it's good tears for I started my self-destruction after she passed and I need to sit with these emotions instead of numbing with wine. I try to visualize the feelings like a balloon that I watch drift away in the sky.

Pouncer...that's awesome you said "no" to hubby! My husband continues his nightly drinking and that has made my journey much more difficult than it had to be. I use the hula hoop alot...I can only control what's in my hula hoop...my feelings and actions....the other stuff is outside of my control. That's great you are working on a Sorbriety plan and congrats on your choices.

Karen...I did the rinse and repeat cycle so many times and felt the same way. I hope you find a good fit for counseling. I am uninsured and was determined to work through this..so grateful for this forum! I have found daily journaling to be useful for me in identifying feelings and emotions. I have had different addictions (eating, exercise and alcohol--addiction whack-a-mole) and found I needed to work on the underlying reasons why I use maladaptive behavior to cope. This continues to be a work in progress for me...progress not perfection!

Glad you are here Thomas...I am new here as of 9/1 and found this forum to be brilliant and so supportive:c011:

Have a great afternoon all!

Tinkerbeau 09-07-2019 01:10 PM

Hi everyone, made it through day 7, was tough this afternoon no other reason than it's a saturday and starting thinking a drink or would be ok !!! I knew it wouldn't made myself and son tea and we snuggled up and watched a movie with a big bag of sweets. I feel sick from sweets, so not ideal, but i certainly didn't want wine after that so it worked, a small victory. Off to bed happy and looking foŕwsrd to a sober week 2.

Sober369 09-07-2019 02:19 PM

Welcome Thomas! What's up?

Sober369 09-07-2019 02:20 PM

Congratulations on seven days Tinkerbeau!

sodasoba 09-07-2019 03:21 PM

Morning all

Sunday morning.....slept. Wake up feeling human again. Sober. The bass bumping outside is gone.
Grateful to have pulled through yesterday, last night. A good lesson in sitting out mental discomfort, knowing it will pass. As opposed to running for a quick bottled fix.
So....Sunday morning, day 14. Its good to be here.

Everyone here seems to be kicking along ok too......you ok Thomas? Post here, there really is help.

later

Midton 09-07-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sober369 (Post 7263477)
Hey Midton, I hope your eye is feeling better! How long will this last, or do you know?
I'm cleaning carpets. I watched an episode of "Tidy Up". Just taking a break.
!

It’s a bit of wait and see. There is a 90% chance that one operation will be enough but sometimes as the gas bubble diminished it redetaches.

So I have a gas bubble in my eye. Mine is short acting one so it should last 3 to 4 weeks. While there is gas in my eye I can really do much: no exercise , no gardening, no bending, no lifting, for me no driving. Work is fine depending on your job. I can’t fly or even drive through mountains due to the air pressure.

If things go well I should be free to get back to normal in about 2 months though it may take up to a year for your eyesight to get as good as it’s going to get.

I was lucky as 6 months ago I wasn’t aware of the symptoms then an online friend had something similar. So when it began I kind of knew to get help ASAP.

incidentally should you or anyone you know have to go through this operation you are bound to be extremely wary, fearful and apprehensive but for me it was practically painless (getting blood taken beforehand was more painful) and you see absolutely NOTHING. It’s more uncomfortable and the “posturing” afterwards is tougher (you have to lie/sleep face down hours on end)

From now I’m going to make sure that my eyes get the nutrients they deserve and that means having a liver that is functioning as it should. I ain’t drinking again and I’ve never been as sure of anything in my life before. Eyesight or wine? There isn’t even a decision to make.

Dee74 09-07-2019 05:24 PM

welcome Jeff :)

Midton, there's another member here - FormerBeerLover - who's been thorough the same thing. I'm sure he'd be open to a PM if you wanted to talk about it in general, or in relation to recovery specifically.

D

sodasoba 09-07-2019 06:40 PM

All the best with your recovery Midton, in all senses of the word.
Puts it all into perspective really.

RattleAndHum 09-07-2019 07:30 PM

Welcome aboard, Thomas. :)

It was nice waking up sober on a Saturday, and I look forward to doing so tomorrow morning. I went to the gym today, and I didn’t kill myself trying to make up for drinking the night before. Just a good exercise. I did have some triggers today — my wife and I are going through a bit of a rough spot. Nothing related to drinking, but I’m sure drinking didn’t help. I am feeling better overall each day so far. I’m off to bed, sober. Goodnight, all, and keep up the good work :)

Sober369 09-08-2019 06:03 AM

Happy Grandparents Day everyone! I am so sorry you're going through this Midton! It's wonderful that you're staying sober, though!
I am putting on a big ice cream party for residents and their families today. Lots of work, but it should be fun.
I am still feeling exhausted. I'm taking vitamins and usually getting enough sleep. I thought I would be feeling much better by now. I certainly feel better than when I was drinking, though.
Have a great sober Sunday everyone!

venuscat 09-08-2019 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7263786)
welcome Jeff :)

Midton, there's another member here - FormerBeerLover - who's been thorough the same thing. I'm sure he'd be open to a PM if you wanted to talk about it in general, or in relation to recovery specifically.

D

I was actually thinking the same thing....FBL is the loveliest man, and a wonderful friend of mine.....and Dee's...... :hug: s

venuscat 09-08-2019 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by RattleAndHum (Post 7263847)
Welcome aboard, Thomas. :)

It was nice waking up sober on a Saturday, and I look forward to doing so tomorrow morning. I went to the gym today, and I didn’t kill myself trying to make up for drinking the night before. Just a good exercise. I did have some triggers today — my wife and I are going through a bit of a rough spot. Nothing related to drinking, but I’m sure drinking didn’t help. I am feeling better overall each day so far. I’m off to bed, sober. Goodnight, all, and keep up the good work :)

Sending you and your wife love....hope you get through the tough spot and into a place that makes you both happy again. :) :hug:

venuscat 09-08-2019 06:25 AM

Hey dear Runner and Karen. Kisses. xx :hug: s

Runner1234 09-08-2019 06:43 AM

Good morning all...

Congrats to all the successes!!

Midton....Wishing you continued healing...eyesight or wine...I agree with Sodasoba it really puts things in perspective.

Karen...Have a delightful time with your residents...is this a retirement or nursing community?

I am looking forward to an all day football Sunday with family and friends. My mother in law can be a trigger for me at times, but plan to keep it all in perspective (unconditional other acceptance). There are times I get through the gathering but once everyone is gone, boom it (addictive voice) hits. I deserve a reward since I have been x days alcohol free or so my husband will say to me. Drinking poison is not a reward. I feel too good physically and emotionally to go back down the rabbit hole (play the tape). Maybe i am fearing something that won't happen for I find the urges lessen as time goes on.

Wishing everyone a peaceful Sunday:)

bobdrop 09-08-2019 06:51 AM

Good morning all. Day 7 for me.

Midton-Hope the recovery goes well. One of my best friends recently went through something similar to this. I just can't imagine having to stay in those positions for long periods of time.

Glad you made it through Soda.

Tailgating was a little dull as it wasn't really a big game, just the 1st home game. Not a lot of people, but I was surprised a little at myself. Our tailgate group has a tradition of everyone taking an ice cold shot of Captain Morgans Rum right before you take off for the game. I knew there was no chance that I would do it, but I was surprised at how strong the feeling was to go ahead and do it. What harm would 1 shot do? Ask again later that night. Anyway, I thought that I was completely past any issues at tailgating, but maybe I have more work or time to do. Glad it's past and we have an away game this week.

Ready to watch NFL today. Go Jags! (Runner) :)

Happy Sunday!

venuscat 09-08-2019 06:56 AM

I think that is really good self-awareness love. :hug:
I know I was the same way, seeking the reward afterwards.....in fact I would get through the entire day with my head buzzing non-stop...just waiting until I could get to that bottle of wine. I think knowing in advance that this may happen for you today will help it NOT HAPPEN. How about you came and chat for a minute when everyone leaves? And think about how much we want you to be safe today. :) :hug: s

venuscat 09-08-2019 06:58 AM

Bob....as Dee always says, and this is the way I feel as well, thoughts are not the issue, it is how you handle them that matters. And I think you did really well. :hug: s