SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A Different Path (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/429645-different-path.html)

stargazer016 07-06-2018 07:36 AM

Looks like a great list Gilmer!

West Chester and Unionville must have been great places to grow up and live.

Longwood Gardens is one of the treasures of the Philly area. It is beautiful any season of the year.

I always forget how calming time at the beach is for me. I admit that I never have gotten that body surfing thing down. The water has been warm and as clear as I can ever remember it being in New Jersey.

Keep working on that list!

Hevyn 07-06-2018 08:08 AM

Gil - Many familiar things on your list! I think we've talked before about PA - I grew up in New Castle, DE & loved West Chester. Longwood Gardens - so many happy days spent there (back when it was still free to get in). Wildwood Crest - and Wildwood - that's where we'd go for fun when spending the summer at Stone Harbor, where there was no boardwalk, rides, etc.

Greenbrier - always wanted to go but haven't made it yet. Thanks for the reminder. :)

You're taking some of the sorrow out of this with your incredible attitude. I think you're wonderful. :hug:

Midwest1981 07-06-2018 10:56 AM

((((Gilmer)))) whats the deal with you trying to beat us all to heaven? I don't like that. :)

trachemys 07-06-2018 11:34 AM

Gil, go to Boca, rent snorkeling gear and head to Red Reef Park. There's a huge coral reef right off the beach.

That area is one of the ten most beautiful places I've been.

Jeni26 07-06-2018 01:07 PM

Ugh...I’ve just come across this thread.

Sweet Gilmer, you have touched many lives here on SR, I will never forget your kind words to me when I lost my Dad a few years ago.

Your gentle humour, courage, dignity and faith are a shining light here.

Thinking of you and all who love you ❤️❤️❤️

PhoenixJ 07-06-2018 01:41 PM

Hope stuff is ok, Gilly.
now:

-Chuck Norris grates cheese with his beard.
- A man without a beard is called a woman
- Men with big beards and slicked back oiled hair? Are the Irish up to something again (I can say this- one of my ancestors was wanted by Colonial Police here- with a 500 pound price on his head...Irish, beard)
- Chuck Norris invented the beard (he is 70)

The worst thing about having a beard is being mistaken for a hipster (which at my age- would be creepy weird)

more support Gilly

saoutchik 07-06-2018 02:34 PM

That sounds like a wonderful list Gilmer!

Wholesome 07-06-2018 02:55 PM

Really sorry to hear about this. That's a mighty fine list though. Man, it really helps put things in perspective and is a reminder to treat everyday like it's something special, because we never know what tomorrow can bring. You are an inspiration to me in the way you are handling this with grace and dignity, with a bunch of love and humor. You're in my thoughts and I wish you and your family the best.

Gilmer 07-06-2018 03:29 PM

Thank you all very much.

Trach, you know I said no to hiking the Appalachian Trail, but this snorkeling thing I would love to do!

That’s a once-in-lifetime opportunity for me!

Can’t snorkel in Jersey!

Hev, I went to Stone Harbor when I was 20—but all I remember about it is Fred’s Tavern. (I had the T-shirt, too). :a090:

MissPerfumado 07-06-2018 03:41 PM

Kathy / Gilmer

Your posts are always, always very kind and wise. If I see a post on SR that is from you, I know it would be.

Your strength in the face of this just exemplifies the best of the human spirit - open to the world, accepting and giving of love, able to laugh, but strong strong strong all the same.

I lost my mentor to cancer earlier this year. He fought it for years in the same way you are, with the same kind of attitude. I hadn't cried about it till today reading your thread. What a guy he was. What a woman you are.

Love to you on your continuing journey.

Gilmer 07-06-2018 03:45 PM

Thank you, MissPerfumado. :hug:

trachemys 07-06-2018 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 6947267)
Thank you all very much.

Trach, you know I said no to hiking the Appalachian Trail, but this snorkeling thing I would love to do!

Can’t snorkel in Jersey!

Hev, I went to Stone Harbor when I was 20—but all I remember about it is Fred’s Tavern. (I had the T-shirt, too). :a090:

Do it.

SoberLeigh 07-06-2018 04:41 PM

Come this way, Kathy. There is great snorkeling in the Keys! We would have a blast.

SoberLeigh 07-06-2018 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6947341)
Come this way, Kathy. There is great snorkeling in the Keys! We would have a blast.

Just saw you have definite plans to go to the East Coast - beautiful. Let me know if you would like to extend your trip and take in some of the West.

Hevyn 07-06-2018 06:26 PM

Gil - Fred's Tavern - my liver just quivered a bit. :)

badgerden 07-06-2018 07:39 PM

Freds Tavern,,, Sounds like a place that would be haunted and on Ghost Adventures,,, do you think its haunted?

Badge

Gilmer 07-06-2018 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by badgerden (Post 6947433)
Freds Tavern,,, Sounds like a place that would be haunted and on Ghost Adventures,,, do you think its haunted?

Badge

The T-shirt had a very amiable looking caricature of a guy I presume was “Fred”—he would have most likely been a friendly ghost. :)

stargazer016 07-06-2018 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 6947267)
Thank you all very much.

Can’t snorkel in Jersey!

Haha, I was just in Stone Harbor this afternoon to watch a movie with the kids. Fred's Tavern is still there. I have never stepped inside, but Ialso had a tee shirt in the 80's from there.

Mags1 07-06-2018 09:40 PM

Gilmer, I’m glad you opened this thread. :hug:

As always, your courage, strength, calmness and amazing personality shines through.

I’m proud to know you and in my minds eye I always think of you as a yoga guru. Namaste my friend.

Gilmer 07-06-2018 09:54 PM

When I try to do yoga I tip right over!

No guru! :lmao

But I will happily say Namaste! :)