SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A Different Path (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/429645-different-path.html)

Gilmer 07-20-2018 04:17 PM

:hug: :hug:

trachemys 07-20-2018 04:22 PM

OK, first you better prove you're dying. I'm not accepting it yet. You have cancer. Cancer isn't always terminal.

Gilmer 07-20-2018 04:34 PM

Google metastasized ocular melanoma.

If I had been eligible for liver resection surgery there would have been a chance for several more good years.

But alas, I have too many tumors, so I’m not.

And, hey. Even if there’s a miracle, it’s never a bad idea to have an advanced directive!

Alysheba 07-20-2018 04:36 PM

(((Kathy)))
♥♥♥♥
love and prayers

trachemys 07-20-2018 04:36 PM

There's always remission and then miracles. I'm talking to God about you.

Gilmer 07-20-2018 04:39 PM

Please do!

Dee74 07-20-2018 05:00 PM

Once again I admire your attitude and clear headedness Gilmer, and for what it's worth I agree with you :hug:

D

Gilmer 07-20-2018 05:02 PM

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. :hug: :hug:

Gerard52 07-20-2018 05:08 PM

Gilmer look into the ketogenic diet exclude carbs and sugar and starve the cancer. If you check youtube there are some good documentaries including people given 2 months who did this and the cancer cleared.

Gilmer 07-20-2018 05:12 PM

Thank you, Gerard. I will look them up.

Hevyn 07-20-2018 05:49 PM

Kathy - I never knew that about the feeding, & appreciate the valuable information. I agree with you too - and I'm so glad you had a good meeting with the oncologist. I hope your husband will be convinced.

Opivotal 07-20-2018 06:12 PM

((Gilmer)) I'm so sorry, I didn't see this thread earlier. My heart, love, and prayers go out to you.

Gosh, I'm speechless atm. Please know you are loved by many and an inspiration to all of us. Thank you for being you. A lovely, kind, caring friend to many.

Godspeed, Dear One. :hug:

Gilmer 07-20-2018 06:13 PM

I was very surprised.

Gilmer 07-20-2018 06:13 PM

Thank you, Opi. :hug:

Gilmer 07-20-2018 06:45 PM

Gerard, I’ve looked at YouTube and also read some scientific studies on the ketogenic diet in medical journals.

None tested the effect on my type of cancer—and the sacrifices you need to make in quality of life are just not something I want to deal with, to be honest.

I have no dread or fear of death (pain, yes—but not death).

I’ve made my peace with God and I am ready and even rather eager to go. I believe in a place of unending bliss where every tear will be wiped away.

Thank you anyway, though. I deeply appreciate your caring and willingness to share helpful information.

I know the diet has worked for many.

Gilmer 07-20-2018 08:09 PM

Very good news: my husband is completely on board with my end-of-life wishes.

What he would really like to know is when the other shoe is going to drop—that is,when and where will it progress?

It’s hard, because with this cancer you can go totally symptom-free for quite awhile. Right now I just have the occasional dull indigestion feeling and the periodic pains in the right side of my liver, and even they are not that sharp.

Some days I have less energy than others, but I’m still pretty fine.

It does feel unreal.

I’m compelled to hurry, hurry, hurry to be efficient and get my affairs in order—to hurry up and wait!

We would really like another scan, but when I said no to attempted treatment, I became ineligible for insurance coverage of tests. The original oncologist refused to order any tests that were medically unnecessary.

So we just wait for the other shoe to drop!

But to occupy my mind I have been furiously planning all the events of the bucket list trips!

I’m not being too rigid, but I like to have a basic plan so we don’t have to sit around twiddling our thumbs (unless we darn well feel like it! :)).

STDragon 07-20-2018 08:31 PM

hugs.

Dee74 07-20-2018 08:33 PM

Time for a bit of a graduation party..

onto part 2 :)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-2-a.html

D