SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   YOU CAN stay sober this weekend!! May 7- until.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366586-you-can-stay-sober-weekend-may-7-until.html)

bigsombrero 05-10-2015 06:42 PM

Cool post newpage - liked the assertion that we should OWN our non-drinking instead of hide our alcoholism. I have been beginning to do that when the situation comes up. Lately though, I haven't been offered much in the way of booze. Sticking to coffee shops on weekday afternoons and outdoor activities on weekend mornings, I simply don't come across those moments very often. I don't expect that will always be the case and I enjoy the reminder that we are the HEALTHY ones. I haven't had a drink in almost 3 years and am almost certainly in better shape than my old pals up in Chicago! Speaking of: Ruby, I know what you mean about those August cicadas. Reminds me of a warm summer afternoon, late in the day in the Midwest. Not unpleasant.

Drove home today from the lake. Jumped on a 7am water taxi and was in the car and moving by 7:15. There was a crazy celebration/procession/parade in a mountain town on the way out, and traffic was diverted to a crazy detour. Dirt roads, etc. It was so nice to be sober, alert, and have absolutely no problem navigating the terrain so early on a Sunday morning. A hungover me would have probably had a panic attack, thrown up, or both. Sober me enjoyed the detour and had a lovely experience seeing some new things.

Got home to a very clean apartment! The women who rented my flat for the week cleaned up and everything was in order. I always enjoy seeing what kind of food they've left in the apartment: this time there was some fine cheeses, avocadoes and tomatoes. They also left a bottle of wine on the counter. I removed it from the house immediately and without regret. On the way to the trash I ran into my next door neighbor and she took it off my hands. Problem solved, and life goes on.

Hope life goes on in a positive fashion for everyone out there this coming week. Some of us are dealing with nagging challenges, others are just getting sober, and still others are exploring all the new possibilities that come with sobriety. Many of us are somewhere in between! Always interesting to see what's going on in all of your worlds, thanks for the laughs and inspiration this weekend everyone. Peace!

MesaMan 05-10-2015 06:52 PM

Masterful, BS. And, I don't even use that word...-)

newpage119 05-10-2015 07:12 PM

Another really cool quote from Hip Sobriety.

It's an "incurable disease." The need for alcohol is caused by alcohol. Pure and simple. You were not addicted before you imbibed, the same as you were not addicted to cigarettes before you smoked. Because it's ******* impossible to be addicted to something that you don't ingest. Further, it has been shown time and again that people not only move out of addiction to the substance, able to ditch it entirely, but go on to not want it at all. People like me. I'm not one drink away from alcoholism or addiction. I'm beyond the need to intoxicate to get through life or have fun at a party. Not because it has to be this way. Because I prefer it this way. Because I LIKE life without a crutch. Because I LIKE not having hangovers or forgetting parts of the night before or living in a fear state. Because I LIKE not having to think about alcohol. We think that "cured" means we can drink again without going overboard or our life going to ****, we think "cured" means being able to imbibe like the "normal drinkers". No. Bull. Cured is never HAVING to drink again. Cured is enjoying life every bit as much if not more without the need to rely on alcohol or reach for a glass of wine to unwind a day or enjoy an event. Cured is the ability to remain present and ride the ups and downs without having to numb or escape out of them. Cured is being free altogether.

Ruby2 05-10-2015 08:30 PM

Great observations Newpage. I like it. Accepting life, warts and all.

Laundry well on its way to being finished. Relaxing a bit. Washed the floors without knee pads. I must have hardy knees. Though the house is still a mess it just feels cleaner with clean floors.

Another successful weekend. Hope everyone is well. Like the new avatar BigS.

Time for ice cream. And the chicken wings were a success. Little Miss ate three of them. My little yogurt and fruit eater.

happyandfree 05-10-2015 09:17 PM

Good night everyone. Another sober weekend comes to a close. I am ready to go to work tomorrow. I certainly got enough rest...omg, did I ever. Tomorrow I will wake up feeling good and rested and start a new week. Life is good.

Weasel1966 05-11-2015 02:03 AM

Awesome to get up and read these posts as I start a sober work week. All the excitement and hope for what it might bring or what I can make of it.

Thanks BigS. Thanks newpage. Thanks everyone!

BiM... Sounds like a people watchers heaven. I could sit there all day.

Some pretty violent storms last night. Had to get up and close all the windows. Been a long time since thunder storms rolled through like that. I used to be passed out and never heard them. People at work talking and I had no clue.

Slower paced thread but none the less fun or inspiring.

We had some good wins! Folks did great at speaking up before drinking. Congrats to those that stayed sober. Those that didn't have the golden opportunity today, this moment, to not drink today.

Thank you!

Ken

Behan 05-11-2015 02:31 AM

Greetings all,

Back into the swing of Monday here. Sunny, windy, and rain - we are getting all the weather. Watched "Whiplash" last night - amazing. Wish I saw it in the cinema for the sound experience. I do miss having a drum kit!!

Well folks, I wish you all a sober, happy and productive week ahead.

You guys rock!!!!!!!

B

Gilmer 05-11-2015 02:39 AM

Newpage, these insights are excellent! Thanks so much for sharing them!

lunar 05-11-2015 02:52 AM

Sober Monday mornings are better Monday mornings.
But I still gotta go to work, darn it.

Della1968 05-11-2015 03:04 AM

Happy Monday everyone!! I have 2 briefings and a conference this week so it should go by fast. Even though sometimes I am glad to get back to work to take a little break!

MesaMan 05-11-2015 03:45 AM

Work!

My Beatnik Mentor Maynard G. Krebs weighs in on Work. Personally, I think it's overrated.-)

Gotta love the Store prices for everything!

- Maynard G. Krebs ~ 'The Dobie Gillis Show' - <1 min

http://i59.tinypic.com/vy78uq.jpg

Mark1014 05-11-2015 04:02 AM

Good Monday morning gang.

I slept late so no gym this morning. That almost never happens. Lots of great posts this weekend. I'm on board with owning the fact that I don't drink. Such a powerful but simple thing.
Nice new avatar BigS...is that a quetzel?
Every time I see Mesa's dog it makes me want to pet him and go on a trail walk in those mountains. Just a hunch, but I think that pup has it made. I had a collie when I was a boy and I still miss that dog.

Have a great week everyone.

Della1968 05-11-2015 05:26 AM

Makes me want to lay down and snuggle with him!!

Gilmer 05-11-2015 05:50 AM

With whom? Maynard G. Krebs? :)

LBrain 05-11-2015 05:52 AM

Have a great week everyone. Lots of good stuff over the weekend.

biminiblue 05-11-2015 06:46 AM

I want to kiss that dog's nose.

Maybe I set a new goal.

Moving out of my third floor condo and into a place where I can have a Golden.

I'll think about that.

Gilmer 05-11-2015 07:13 AM

This song always puts me in a good mood. Hope it improves your Monday!

Ruby2 05-11-2015 07:53 AM

Good morning, everyone! Or afternoon. It was a quiet weekend on here. I'm slowly mending. Son has dress rehearsal today and final band concert tomorrow at school. I will be bringing him there.

Gilmer, my dad is weeding through his old slides so we were all talking about them yesterday. We asked about meeting famous people and he did meet The Mothers of Invention. And there you post a song.