SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Been away for a bit... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/353606-been-away-bit.html)

airwick 12-15-2014 08:41 PM

At least you had a date :) That's more then I got lol

airwick 12-15-2014 08:50 PM

I'm glad you are back, I was beginning to think it was me lol

desypete 12-16-2014 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by GetMeOut (Post 5078658)
Does it not seem insane to anyone else that something so destructive and deadly is so readily available in our society? I was sitting in this woman's car after a date this past Saturday night and we started discussing alcoholism. Directly across the street there was a convenience store/gas station. I said, "I could go straight across the street to that store and buy enough alcohol to kill myself tonight." First, she agreed that that much was true, but then said, "Please don't do that." I didn't.

but the thing is alcohol is not deadly or destructive to many many people, i used to think they should ban booze because of its impact it has on people but most people can drink normally and social

its me that has the problem with the booze not them so why should they be robbed of something that does them no harm ?

like i said its me and me only that has the problem with booze

KAD 12-16-2014 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by desypete (Post 5079433)
but the thing is alcohol is not deadly or destructive to many many people, i used to think they should ban booze because of its impact it has on people but most people can drink normally and social

its me that has the problem with the booze not them so why should they be robbed of something that does them no harm ?

like i said its me and me only that has the problem with booze

True enough, but for someone like me, there is indeed enough alcohol out there to kill me. Should heroin be legal? Some people might just get a quick fix and be fine for the night while others will OD and end up in the morgue. A drug is a drug.

Aellyce 12-16-2014 09:32 AM

Yeah but following the same logic, there is also enough OTC drugs in the pharmacy to kill a person, or enough vehicles on the street to run us over if we do not navigate with attention and caution. Similarly, most people can have the power and find ways to kill another human being if we wanted to. And these things also happen in the world everyday.

This is an old thread that investigated Prohibition and in more general terms, the idea of forceful extinction of drug seeking and the availability of alcohol and drugs, if you have not seen it yet:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ohibition.html

Unfortunately, I don't think that drug-seeking and addiction can be externally controlled in the long run in any truly powerful way... we need to take responsibility for our desires and actions as individuals. History has provided enough evidence that there just isn't any other effective way.
I'm linking this because I've posted there most of what I would have to say about the subject.

GracieLou 12-16-2014 09:32 AM

I am glad you are back and going to give AA another try.

anattaboy 12-16-2014 09:37 AM

I'm still in the "Living Hell" memories being only 6 months out. Have had a few urges but nothing a little rationality didn't address. I don't dwell in the bad memories but go there by default if salivation is an issue.

KAD 12-16-2014 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by haennie (Post 5079654)
Yeah but following the same logic, there is also enough OTC drugs in the pharmacy to kill a person, or enough vehicles on the street to run us over if we do not navigate with attention and caution. Similarly, most people can have the power and find ways to kill another human being if we wanted to. And these things also happen in the world everyday.

I can agree with you somewhat on the OTC drugs part but we don't become physically addicted to driving vehicles or crossing the street or to murdering each other. I'm speaking specifically of physical addiction and addictive substances. I dunno, though, can someone become addicted to OTC drugs? I know, like, some sleep aids can become habit-forming but I don't know of anyone becoming chemically dependent on, say, ibuprofen.

KAD 12-16-2014 07:45 PM

So I did it. I joined an AA group and got assigned a sponsor. I haven't spoken to him yet but he has been sober since 1989, so I would imagine he knows that of which he speaks! I'm actually feeling pretty optimistic about this so looking forward to getting started.

Serenidad 12-16-2014 07:52 PM

AA helps me a lot! It's nice to be around people who really understand what I'm going through & care. It's really hard to get sober alone...at least for me...

Good luck! You can do this! :-)

BBQBiker 12-16-2014 07:59 PM

Welcome back Getmeout.