Notices

Been away for a bit...

Old 12-15-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Been away for a bit...

I've kinda cocooned myself away while I've struggled off and on with my addiction. I've gone back and forth between periods of sobriety and periods of drinking and I can't take it anymore. I've been back to my doctor several times, once put on Ativan, which did nothing, and now on Librium again. But now, I'm taking a different approach - one which has been recommended numerous times here but I have avoided like the plague.

I have renegotiated my child custody schedule so that I can once again attend the one AA meeting I've found where I felt like I belonged. I go to the first one Tuesday night and I plan to join and ask for a sponsor. This madness has got to stop!! Clearly, what I've been doing is not working. I need help from others.

It's my nature to steal away and be a loner, doing as I will and living in secrecy. Therein lies the problem. I need to be seen. I need to be heard. I need to be held accountable. I have been seeing a counselor for about a month now. She doesn't even like AA but is encouraging me to go because she believes it is what I need. At this point, I'm willing to try just about anything.

So.... there's my update.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Welcome back & good for you for taking some very necessary steps! I believe in you...
Old 12-15-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One step at a time. You can do this.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to see you again. Yeah go for that dreaded "different approach"
Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KAD

It's the boredom that gets me. The damned boredom! That's why my counselor gives me "assignments" to complete before our next visits. I hit this point where I say, "OK, so I'm sober....Now what?" Then the anxiety creeps back in.

I've been on 4 different AD meds: Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Celexa, and now Cymbalta. All of them have either made me even more anxious, dead tired all day long, or cause sexual side effects that are worse than the anxiety. So I turn to the old standby....booze. Of course, we all know booze either works or it doesn't when it comes to anxiety. Often, it makes it worse than ever. Very volatile drug, alcohol. Makes a mess of the brain and does even more damage to the rest of the body.

I think the problem lies deeper. I think it's in my heart and my soul. I think I'm only trying to patch up a superficial wound, but it's infected and I'm not getting at the infection at all. It just keeps spreading and growing deeper.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Has the new counselor tried to help you with all that "boredom" problems, and/or what you describe as "I think it's in my heart and my soul"?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you are back, amigo.

AA has certainly kept me from dying an alcoholic death (so far, at least).
Old 12-15-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are back!

AA helped and saved so many, glad you are giving it a shot without any pre-conception.

It doesn't matter what program you use, if the shoe fits, go for it!
Old 12-15-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your soul will heal itself when you get off the alcohol and seek to heal it.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you GetMeOut - welcome back

D
Old 12-15-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk
Old 12-15-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back,GetMeOut; glad to hear that you are taking positive steps to treat your alcoholism.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Has the new counselor tried to help you with all that "boredom" problems, and/or what you describe as "I think it's in my heart and my soul"?
Her recommendation has been to find a church community, but being an agnostic, that's going to be a challenge. I understand where she's coming from, as AA is fairly religious (or spiritually) based itself, but I think she would be pleased to see that I was doing anything to heal my heart and soul. She's very open-minded that way. She is pushing very much so in the direction of getting me back into playing my keyboard and composing music. She asks me about that every time we meet.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you're back
Old 12-15-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
KAD

You have no idea how long I avoided coming back here as "one of those." Another one who fell off the wagon, or jumped off the wagon as I don't believe there is any falling involved at all. I used to get so frustrated reading those posts, yet here I am... one of "them." Addiction is really treacherous, isn't it? Our minds can talk us into just about anything if we're not constantly on guard. That's where I want to be, and I think I need help staying on guard. I'm not accustomed to asking for it and that's the part that has to change.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome back Getmeout. Good plan on altering your approach. Accountability always helps me as well.

Stay strong.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

the only thing i did for the first 2 years was get to aa meetings, the reason i went to so many is because i was alone in my flat and i had no one, so being around people was a huge thing, the benefit of it was i learned so much from those people

i learned that i will spend my time alone in isolation rather than put in the effort to go out and face things or people or go to meetings i will find any excuse just so i can stay in my comfort zone of isolation

once i understood that much about me then i came to see my head is my own worse enemy or not so much my head but how i would feel
i would sit and wait till i felt like doing something rather than just go and do it

if i didnt feel i wanted to do it then i simpley wouldnt do it

then i would wonder why i wasnt getting any better or growing at all

its hard work in the early days trying to learn how to start doing things etc

i dont know if you have a just for today card ? if so have a read of it everday and follow some of the just for today suggestions.

good luck to you
Old 12-15-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's really good to have you back with us GMO. I couldn't take it anymore either - it was so good to get free of it. You can do this.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

GMO! Bro, so glad you're back!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
KAD

Does it not seem insane to anyone else that something so destructive and deadly is so readily available in our society? I was sitting in this woman's car after a date this past Saturday night and we started discussing alcoholism. Directly across the street there was a convenience store/gas station. I said, "I could go straight across the street to that store and buy enough alcohol to kill myself tonight." First, she agreed that that much was true, but then said, "Please don't do that." I didn't.