SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Help me out (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/349725-help-me-out.html)

Meraviglioso 11-04-2014 06:07 AM

Help me out

Well here, goes. I was avoiding SR for a few days because I felt so ashamed, so miserable, so useless. I had 35 days of no alcohol and then I drank again. Again. I got in a nasty fight with my boyfriend. I have always described him as amazing and supportive and he is. We so rarely have issues. But something came up. I think that it is due to my sobriety, things that I would normally drink away and not bother with started to get on my nerves and I brought it up. Well I couldn't handle the stress the turmoil and I immediately sought out my tried and true comfort in alcohol. I've been taking antabuse, but a low dose. I had also skipped a few doses in the past days so I just went for it. Fortunately, unfortunately, this allowed me to drink without major consequences. I got very red int he face and felt uneasy, but was able to drink a half a bottle of wine without major problems. The next day I drank a full bottle of wine. Today I am back to drinking mid-day. It slips so quickly, I am right back where I started. I will fight my way out of this, I will. I have to. I do not want to be a drunk ever again and am MISERABLE. But use my failure as a warning, there is no "one drink" to soothe the pain, one drink leads to another and then you are right back into drinking heavily and life is miserable. Don't do it. Now what awaits me is horrible cravings and withdrawals, nothing but misery. Stupidity.

Pickle32 11-04-2014 06:13 AM

I understand the frustration. I have stopped drinking so many times I cant even count. My family is struggling financially and emotionally. I want sobriety so bad. I drink so much, I'll wake up in the morning and need a drink first thing, just to calm the shakes. My husband despises me and I pretty much despise myself as well. Today is day one for me (AGAIN). I have to do something because if my husband leaves me, I'll never get custody of my daughter being in the shape I am now.
I hope everything works out for you. Thank you for sharing.

doggonecarl 11-04-2014 06:18 AM

Sorry to hear this. Been a lot of relapses on the forum of late. I don't know what it speaks to...the struggle to resist the obsession to drink, or the struggle to deal with sobriety. Drinking is easy, handling life sober is tough. If our recovery plan doesn't help us live and love our sober life, we'll always take the easy path, and drink.

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso (Post 4995482)
I've been taking antabuse, but a low dose. I had also skipped a few doses in the past days so I just went for it. .

So the drinking didn't just happen. Sounds like you were planning it days in advance and when the opportunity presented itself--the "reason" to drink--you were able to.

Charlie117926 11-04-2014 06:18 AM

Good Morning Mera. I hope you are well this morning. I don't have much to add from what you already stated.

The thing is, when "stressors" come into play we have two options on how to deal with them. Drinking is the "easy" way out of issues / problems. Or if I were really honest with myself, sometimes I look for an excuse to drink to justify anything that pops up.

We both know for people like us that this is not an option. In my humble opinion it comes down to picking it up or having the strength to fight off the cravings.

With you posting, it is clear the option you want. You have done great Mera and all I can say is dust yourself off, think of your health (yourself), your wonderful boyfriend and great children and move forward today. What is done is done and nothing will change that. Time to move forward my friend. I wish you all the best and victory Mera.

Meraviglioso 11-04-2014 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 4995517)
Sorry to hear this. Been a lot of relapses on the forum of late. I don't know what it speaks to...the struggle to resist the obsession to drink, or the struggle to deal with sobriety. Drinking is easy, handling life sober is tough. If our recovery plan doesn't help us live and love our sober life, we'll always take the easy path, and drink.

So the drinking didn't just happen. Sounds like you were planning it days in advance and when the opportunity presented itself--the "reason" to drink--you were able to.

You are totally right Carl. I had not thought of it that way. I started weaning off the antabuse for the side effects, etc. But if I am really honest, I think I was gearing up for a bender. How in the world I saw this coming when I didn't really see it coming is beyond me, but I am certain that it was not a coincidence.

LBrain 11-04-2014 06:23 AM

C arl nailed it. Just want to add, ... able to drink without major consequences. .. define consequences

phoebe64 11-04-2014 06:23 AM

It really is frightening how quickly half a bottle of wine can go to a whole bottle and more.

Glad you are back trying. me too.

Meraviglioso 11-04-2014 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by LBrain (Post 4995532)
C arl nailed it. Just want to add, ... able to drink without major consequences. .. define consequences

Fair play. Wow, fair play. You hit the nail on the head, just what I needed to hear. I am a F*&k*n& IDIOT

Findingtheway 11-04-2014 06:30 AM

Make a list of all the things you will gain by not drinking.

Make a list of all the things you will gain IF you continue drinking.

Then focus on NOT drinking ONE day at a time. If you're triggered by an event/situation...Come to SR, or call a friend/sponsor. (AA works for me.)

You can do this.

SoberLeigh 11-04-2014 06:33 AM

Good morning (or good afternoon in Mera World - ahhh Italy).

There seems only one good choice, really; restart the clock; start taking your medicine again (if your doctor agrees) and hop back on the wagon.

Is it time to re-examine your plan for sobriety? What do you do for face to face support? AA? Do you have a therapist? Have you tried AVRT?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html

Rooting for you, Mera. We are in your corner. Don't forget SR is 24/7, 365; maybe log-in and post when you are feeling fragile??????

Aellyce 11-04-2014 06:36 AM

Hi Mera. Sorry to hear that you drank. I don't think you are an idiot... you are a person with an addiction who suffers great deal with it. So Antabuse does not seem to be the solution on its own... We need to learn how to deal with life and emotions without alcohol, and it's hard initially for all of us. Please start over and try to figure out what you really need to do to support your recovery more. Try new options. You can do it!

Meraviglioso 11-04-2014 06:37 AM

Honestly I would love to go to an AA meeting. But I can't, I really can't. The only meeting in the area is at 9pm and my kids are in bed. The ones during the day are a 2 hour train ride away, and a 2 hour train ride back. I cannot take 5+ hours out of my day to get there, I HAVE to work. Can I start my own meeting? What can I do? Jesus, this is RIDICULOUS. Can you even believe this???? I am desperate to get sober and then I fall at the blink of an eye, I am ******* worthless.

zackman 11-04-2014 06:38 AM

Hey there! I can't say I haven't been there a million times just like you. Here is not "the one thing" but one of the things that has helped me stay sober over the past 6 weeks. How sick physically I had gotten the last time I drank. I would have taken any punishment to feel well over the sickness I was going through and went though so many times before. Right now you might feel the same way. I know now and realize that any issue that arises that causes me stress is minimal compared to how sick I get and the regret I feel after drinking. In fact, when something stressful comes up and I handle the situation sober and go to bed knowing I will feel ok about things in the morning is its own kind of victory. It took me way too long to realize the pros and cons of drunk are nothing compared to the pros and cons of sober. You're hung over now. Just think, in less than 24 hours you'll be back to feeling well and you'll have 1 day sober. Good-luck friend!

Nowsthetime 11-04-2014 06:39 AM

Hi Mera: we are like family and you should never stay away from here because you are embarrased. We have all been there or seen it. We are here for you!!!

Meraviglioso 11-04-2014 06:45 AM

I want to ******* die, this is such misery. I now have to go to the local children's library to do a free English course. I have been so looking forward to this volunteer opportunity and here I am, a stupid, alcoholic mess of a worthless human being. These kids deserve more. If I were sober and clear in the head I could have offered a great public service, instead I am some ****** up junk of a waste of human being… these poor kids….

Rina 11-04-2014 06:45 AM

I'm praying for you Mera! We have all been there. Remember that right now you are feeling the worst of the guilt and disappointment in yourself. Practice makes possible not perfection. Keep striving for what you want! You can move forward!

Aellyce 11-04-2014 06:46 AM

Sounds like you would like to have face-to-face support...
Do you have access to therapy? If yes, maybe try it intensively, more than once a week of you can afford.

Could you find a nanny or someone to stay at your place with the kids a couple times a week during the time you go to the meeting? And then make connections with some sober folks at the meeting and call them or ask them to spend some time with you when you can?

SoberLeigh 11-04-2014 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso (Post 4995550)
Honestly I would love to go to an AA meeting. But I can't, I really can't. The only meeting in the area is at 9pm and my kids are in bed. The ones during the day are a 2 hour train ride away, and a 2 hour train ride back. I cannot take 5+ hours out of my day to get there, I HAVE to work. Can I start my own meeting? What can I do? Jesus, this is RIDICULOUS. Can you even believe this???? I am desperate to get sober and then I fall at the blink of an eye, I am ******* worthless.

Whoa! Oh no - you are NOT worthless; you are worth a great deal to yourself and others.

Sounds like AA is out unless you can hire a sitter for your children. What about counseling? How about checking out some books on alcoholism and recovery from the library?

Charlie117926 11-04-2014 06:50 AM

Mera you are not an idiot. YOU ARE NOT WORTHLESS!!! You are human! Listen, you have been fighting this fight at least since July of this year. You have made leaps and bounds in that time.

Do you know what your days sober have done for me as inspiration? I am sure I am not alone.

People would die to have 30 days. Hell, people would give a limb for three days. There are some people that do not even care to get sober. YOU DO. That's half the battle just in wanting it.

Look, its pretty clear that you were setting this up to happen. Put your guard up and acknowledge what the issues are and do what you have to do to beat them, sober.

I know how you feel Mera. Point blank...it sucks to start over, but that is the only option. Pick yourself up and move forward. You have already proven that its possible!

leviathan 11-04-2014 06:52 AM

i agree with doggonecarl re)relapse was already happening. i do believe there is often a "set-up" that occurs before picking up sometimes.

i would have to qualify one thing to agree with the easy statement though, doggone, the "easy" statement. i would agree that it SEEMS easier to drink. in reality though, it is not. not for me anyways.

my drinking became an endurance sport of epic proportions. EVERYTHING was harder. crap, i still feel like i deserve a medal for some of the hangovers i endured...LOL! then, then there's the shame, the planning, the lying, the explaining, the things missed out on, the money. just overall loss of quality of life for me.

yes, recovery is ongoing work. but SO much easier than managing the life i was (and poorly at that).

i believe that the foundation of my program lies in the acceptance of the truth that life is better without. once i really came to believe this, my white knuckle moments decreased severely. while i have the AV thoughts at times, they take a backseat to my knowledge that drinking just doesn't have anything more to offer me.