SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day zero (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/338476-day-zero.html)

mje124 07-10-2014 10:49 AM

Day zero

What a hopeless addict I am

spoke to doctor today and no pills just my normal anti anxiety tablets

tomorrow is the day

no plan other than not drinking but I have said this 1000 times and always fall flat on my face

actually feel ashamed posting but this is for people who are struggling and lord knows I am

Just thoughts and prayers please .....................

love to all

Mike

PurpleKnight 07-10-2014 10:51 AM

You can do this mike!! :)

What's the plan, meetings? support? etc

jezza 07-10-2014 10:55 AM

Hi Mike.. yeah, UK Doctors don't give out tablets for withdrawals.. All I got was a packet of B vitamins.. No need to feel ashamed we have all been there.. Make sure you read the threads & post.. The people here on SR have been a life saver for me... Wishing you all the best & hang in there!!!

mje124 07-10-2014 11:01 AM

SR has been a lifesaver for me too the people are brilliant
Am just starting to think the boy who cried wolf is how people will think of me

mistakes happen but mine are not ...............I think I can moderate then end up in a pit of regret / shame and guilt

xxxxxxxx

jezza 07-10-2014 11:05 AM

Not at all Mike.. You could relapse, moderate 1-1000 times.. We have all been there and understand how difficult it can be... People don't judge here... Just stick at it here & try not to drift off which is what I have done in the past & ended up drinking again... This time SR is permanently open & I drop in & out during the day & this time won't drift off...

trachemys 07-10-2014 11:23 AM

In the Newcomers Daily Support Theads forum there is a 24 hour check in thread. Lot's of people use it as a motivator. Of course, you can always come here anytime you want.

Nonsensical 07-10-2014 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by mje124 (Post 4771214)
What a hopeless addict I am

That's bullsh1t.

Frustrated, irritated, angry, ashamed...I hear ya. Hopeless? NEVER!

If you have one single, solitary, lonely brain cell left that wants to be rid of this madness, then change is possible and hope is reasonable.

All of us against the addiction. Get back in the fight of your life.

You can do this.

biminiblue 07-10-2014 12:10 PM

You're absolutely not hopeless, but that is what your addiction wants you to think.

After you get away from it you will change everything about how you think.

It wants to keep you close.

Kick it to the curb and be done with it.

You can do it, friend.

mje124 07-10-2014 12:24 PM

thanks all for your kindness and support

lets see what tomorrow brings ......sweats/ palpitations lord knows anxiety

nothing have not done 50 times so here's to day 1

bring it on xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Raider 07-10-2014 12:44 PM

You aren't hopeless. Because if you are then I am. And I am not hopeless. It's going to be a tough few days. But you already know that. Stay strong. Cyber hug to you.

ccam1973 07-10-2014 12:56 PM

Good luck Mike. You CAN do this! i felt the same way last year when i hadn't gone a single day with out drinking in years. I would find a way to drink even when i was ill! When i finally decided to stop it took too many tries to count, but one day i said enough is enough. I went 9 months without a drink.

i'm back on day 4 now, but have learned from my previous mistakes, as well as my successes.

You can do this.

For me the toughest days are the first 6 or 7. It is so worth the initial pain of those first days. You are here, at SR, so not without hope.

I couldn't have began my path without the folks here.

Best of luck!

doggonecarl 07-10-2014 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by mje124 (Post 4771214)

no plan other than not drinking but I have said this 1000 times and always fall flat on my face

Congrats on giving sobriety another go. But if "not drinking" has been your sole plan for a 1000 times and it hasn't worked, why would you try a 1001st time. No doubt you've rejected others suggestions. Maybe it is time to reconsider.

Thepatman 07-10-2014 02:08 PM

You can do this, we believe in you.

Personally I always found that just quitting was not enough. I needed support, a lot of it and change in my habits.

RolyPoly 07-10-2014 02:44 PM

As long as you want to quit you're not hopeless. Denial is hopeless. And even that can change. Keep plugging away. When you fall keep getting back up. Nobody is in a position to judge. The journey is different for everyone so don't compare yourself to others and let that drag you down.

alphaomega 07-11-2014 07:01 AM

How are you today Mike ? :)

copperfield 07-11-2014 08:01 AM

ahh I hear ya Mike on feeling ashamed for trying day one over and over but ya know what, everyone on SR pretty much has been there and understands and that is very comforting for me. good on you for trying! Im with ya

firstymer 07-11-2014 08:03 AM

Pulling for you, Mike. Good luck. Let us know how you are doing.

Dee74 07-11-2014 03:52 PM

You're absolutely not hopeless Mike - I don't believe anyone here is.

I agree with Carl tho - if your only plan is not drink, that plan has let you down several times now.

You need a better plan.

You could go to AA (or non 12 step meeting based alternatives like SMART Recovery or LifeRing)

You could join the monthly thread here and check in at least every day?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2014-a-15.html

the 24 hour recovery connections thread Nons mentioned is great too.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-6-a-11.html

Give it everything you have Mike - even you don't believe in yourself right now, there's a group of folks here who do.

Reach out and get some support.

Make this time different :)

D

mje124 07-12-2014 01:09 PM

Lordy what a farce

Gave in again

almost done here cos you guys can help but you cant stop me and am sick now of asking

i will get there ...............i don't have a death wish just an av that controls me like a drug .....which it is

raider i am rooting for you a small la[se is a mistake you be fine pam

good luck all of you i will be back

mike xxxxxxxxxxx

PurpleKnight 07-12-2014 01:14 PM

Mike, SR is in your corner, we all want you to beat this!! :grouphug:

For me I needed to revolutionise my lifestyle, are you simply trying to not drink? I found I needed to do more than that, I needed support, new activities, not just sit in my house with my thoughts, that usually ended only one way!!

I also needed to really accept, that I'm now a non drinker, no more of these thoughts of moderation etc, I was now not drinking no matter what, because that first drink always leads to the same place.

You can do this Mike, but you need to accept what the solution is to the problem and then make some big changes to achieve it!! :)