SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/429749-power-sobriety-thread-post-7-a.html)

IWLSAST 10-18-2018 07:31 PM

Glee, so very sorry for the loss of your friend. I do hope that the children find a way to break the cycle. It won't be easy. They have seen the ugly side of life turned heartbreaking. Thoughts for them.

Good luck in the NLCS, FBL.

GG, congrats on your sober time.

Gilmer 10-18-2018 07:50 PM

Thanks, Carlos.

There’s a church deacons’ and wives’ retreat up here this weekend.

A guy threw a wedding for his daughter in July, and he’s still trying to unload all the unused alcohol he bought for it.

So along with a claustrophobic glut of junk food (contributed by various other guests), we have a cooler full of beer, a case and a cooler full of wine, port for cigars, and bourbon (the fancy kind).

People are taking a beer here and a glass of wine there, but nobody’s going to do serious damage to this huge inventory!

It no longer bothers me. At first I used to be frustrated because I wanted to catch a buzz (beyond everyone else)—then later I was mad that people brought the crap into MY domain—now I just see it and yawn.

stargazer016 10-19-2018 07:04 AM

It’s wonderful how your perspective has changed Kathy!

Have a great day!

badgerden 10-19-2018 08:08 AM

Sending love and prayers your way Glee, I am so sorry. Her kids should not have to suffer the thoughts of the ignorant who spew negative things regarding addictions. If the stigma would stop so many more of us would be alive.

much love

badge

gleefan 10-21-2018 05:43 PM

Kathy - I can relate to the path your perspective on being around alcohol has taken. I know I can’t drink it but being around it doesn’t upset me like it used to. I’m grateful for that peace of mind.

Fbl - Sorry for the post season baseball heartache. My family is Sox fans so they are pretty excited.

Busy hockey weekend. Kids teams aren’t winning but they are playing well and having a good time. Relaxing now and going to practice some mindfulness techniques.

stargazer016 10-21-2018 11:41 PM

Sorry FBL, your team came up just a little shy in the end, but it was a great run. There is always next year!

Glee, I am glad that you are able to keep perspective at this point of the hockey season. It's a cliche, but it's not all about the winning in the end. Hopefully the boys are having fun.

Finally working a couple early shifts after being stuck on nights for most of the past month. It will be nice to see the family again.

Have a good day all!

FBL 10-22-2018 03:48 AM

My Brewers are done for the season. Oh well, it sure was fun while it lasted.

More work ahead on my 2 book projects this week. Will hopefully finish up the main research on project #1, which is now due to the printer by November 15 (at the latest). Project #2 isn't due until sometime in January.

Have a great Monday, all!

courage2 10-22-2018 07:05 AM

Hi everyone. Don't ask!
https://i.postimg.cc/SRty8r7y/animat...waving-006.gif

Gilmer 10-22-2018 07:07 AM

Hi, Cour!

IWLSAST 10-23-2018 07:20 PM

Hi All,

Cour...not asking.

Sorry about the Brewers, FBL. 58 years ago today my love affair with Pittsburgh sports teams began. On this amazing day in 1960, Bill Mazeroski hit a walk-off home run in the 7th game of the world series to beat the Yankee's. It was magic for a 7-year-old.

GG, I was talking to Glee on the phone tonight about drinking and how lucky we are to have found the joy that we all have in sobriety. Let them drink away...not my bag anymore.

Glee, keeping those vibes strong for that promotion.

Just time for a pop in hello really. Packing to head off to Omaha with NE tomorrow. Life is crazy. If you had told me 12 weeks ago that I was going to be on a plane with a woman I care about to Nebraska to meet her family and friends, I would have thought you to be crazy, Here's to taking what's being offered - one day at a time!

Best to everyone...

Carlos

Gilmer 10-23-2018 07:28 PM

Have a wonderful time, Carlos!

stargazer016 10-23-2018 08:01 PM

Have a great trip Carlos!

FBL 10-24-2018 03:30 AM

Safe travels, Carlos! I'm sure they'll love you. :)

Moving forward on both book projects.

Rustoleum 10-24-2018 06:30 AM

Hi, Glee,

I am so sorry that your mother is so difficult and it is to your credit that you are handling this difficult situation so well. Now I am going to overstep into an area where I am totally out of my league, but here goes! People who love to spend frenetically are often bi-polar. What passes for selfishness might be mental illness. Forgive me for venturing here but I have known persons who do what your mother does, and they have the diagnosis.

I really admire your approach to,this terrible problem.

rusty

Gilmer 10-24-2018 07:01 AM

Nice to see you, Rustoleum! :wave:

courage2 10-24-2018 08:58 AM

Hi Rustoleum!

Happy travels to you & NE, Carlos!

FBL 10-25-2018 03:50 AM

We did a pre publication e-mail blast on my latest book project last night and we already have over 100 orders this morning! This is the project that I've been asking my boss to do for the past 5 years. I just knew there would be demand for it. So nice to see I was correct! :)

Gilmer 10-25-2018 04:16 AM

Congratulations, FBL! I'm so pleased that the public shares your vision!

Gilmer 10-25-2018 05:46 AM

FBL, please refresh my memory. What is your special project book about again? I looked back through this thread and Overs, but couldn't find the topic mentioned.

FBL 10-25-2018 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 7040935)
FBL, please refresh my memory. What is your special project book about again? I looked back through this thread and Overs, but couldn't find the topic mentioned.

It's called Radio & Records Top Pop Hits 1973-2009. Radio & Records was THE trade publication to read when I was working in radio. They did their own charts that were based on about 150 pop music stations across the US. Most of our books are based on Billboard magazine, so it took me awhile to convince the boss to actually do it.