SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   On My Way # 6 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/416922-my-way-6-a.html)

Gonnachange 01-21-2018 09:59 AM

After probably not running more than 10 miles in the past year, working out yesterday, dancing last night, and working out again this morning it would have been entirely unreasonable to expect great numbers for my run after the gym. Great numbers, however, wasn't the point. Putting everything in perspective, I just wanted to complete a fairly hilly (uphill on the way back) 1.5 miles as best I could, pace be damned, and not get injured. All objectives were accomplished so I'm putting the run in the "Win" category. My next scheduled run is Tuesday.

At the gym I did five rounds of:

Pushups
Heavy rope fun
TRX supermans
Mountain climbers
Rower
Bosu ball db squat holds
Kb swings

I brought my running gear to the gym and after changing went on my little jaunt.

Dinner tonight is going to be an eye round roast smoked with mesquite, roasted cubed russet potatoes, and maybe a salad. I may also make some type of gravy or sauce for the meat.

Gonnachange 01-22-2018 11:00 AM

My workout today was very similar to last Monday's with the biggest difference being that most of the exercises were on a flat bench and not an incline one. Three rounds of:

Bb bench press
Db flyes
Bb skull crushers
Lat pulldowns
Push ups
Db bench rows

I'm continuing to feel weakness in my right shoulder; no pain just a general fatigue. It's much better than a week ago and hopefully will be a non issue very shortly.

Dinner tonight is going to be citrus marinated chicken thighs that I'm going to then sous vide and sear and a side of spiralized zucchini and yellow squash with sautéed onions, garlic, and mushrooms.

Gonnachange 01-23-2018 11:02 AM

I went for another 1.5 mile run. The problem with such short runs is that they don't give me time to fully warm up, but the only way to safely remedy that is to keep at it. So I will.

Dinner tonight is going to be meatloaf, that if I get ambitious will be cooked on my kamodo grill, but most likely in the oven, with a side of beets and goat cheese. I'm currently dehydrating apples and tomorrow I'm going to take my first stab at beef jerky.

Gonnachange 01-24-2018 07:52 AM

Wednesday fun at the gym was four rounds of:

Activity ball planks
Renegade rows with hip touches
Dynamic alternating step ups
3 Kb goblet squats followed by 3 Kb jump squats
Lateral runs
Mountain climbers on gliders
Rowing machine

Dinner tonight is going to be homemade pizza; one will be white with ricotta; mozzarella; and sautéed garlic and onions and the other will be red with a pizza sauce. I'll also be serving a salad. Earlier this morning I started the beef jerky process and if all goes well the product should be finished by tonight.

Gonnachange 01-25-2018 11:44 AM

I was confident that last night's pizzas would taste good, but was a little apprehensive about rolling the dough into an appealing shape. It all worked out just fine; round as they should be and not an amoeba shape to be found in the neighborhood. All was eaten, but I have enough dough that I froze to make another two pies.

Moving along to exercise I did four rounds of this earlier:

Rowing machine
Kb goblet squats
TRX table top rows
Kneeling Db shoulder presses
Renegade rows with a pushup
Mountain climbers with gliders

After that I ran 1.5 miles and after coming homing home walked another 2 miles round trip to my pharmacy to pick up my asthma medication.

Dinner tonight is going to be chicken tetrazzini with a side salad.

In dehydrating news, the beef jerky got rave reviews from the family and at the request of dear daughter I'm currently doing another batch of bananas.

Gonnachange 01-26-2018 09:07 AM

Exercise today is going to consist of pushups at home.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled salmon filets that will be seasoned with Dijon mustard. The side is going to be sautéed green beans.

Since it's the last Friday of the month my wife and I will be doing our usual thing and going to watch a band that plays at a local tavern this time every month. It's going to be a later than usual night, but be assured I'll be at the gym tomorrow AM and that a short run will follow.

Gonnachange 01-27-2018 08:43 AM

Four rounds of:

Russian twists
Push ups
Mountain climbers on gliders
Rowing machine
Activity ball planks

One other exercise that I can't remember.

Afterward I ran 1.5 miles, believe it or not indoors. My experience did nothing to persuade me about the joyful virtues of the dreadmill.

No cooking tonight because we're going to a dinner party. I'm presently dehydrating more bananas and this afternoon will start curing a pork belly that eventually will become apple wood smoked maple bacon.

Gonnachange 01-29-2018 09:48 AM

'Twas a fun day yesterday with family and friends, but it definitely won't be categorized in the "Good" side of healthy day ledgers. I'm back on track today and that included some Monday morning fun at the gym.

Three rounds of
Flat Bb bench presses
Flat Bb skullcrushers
Flat Db flyes
Seated rows
Incline Db chest presses
Db bench rows
Heavy ropes

My right (dominant side) shoulder is getting better, but with exercises that engaged it today, which is most, it still remains a weak point.

Dinner tonight it going to be a riff on a meal from last week. Spaghetti squash with roasted eggplant; tomato sauce; sautéed mushrooms, onions, and garlic; roasted Cornish hen; mozzarella cheese; and ricotta cheese.

SoberLeigh 01-29-2018 10:47 AM

Have a great week, GC!

Dinner sounds great!

Gonnachange 01-29-2018 01:10 PM

SL, thanks about the week and dinner.

Gonnachange 01-30-2018 06:27 AM

It's a little past 9 AM and I've already ran a couple of miles and walked 1.5 miles round trip to meet a friend for breakfast. All is good!

Gonnachange 01-31-2018 09:12 AM

Another early Wednesday at the gym. Lots of lower body work: squats, burpees, lunges, mountain climbers, etc.

Dinner tonight is going to be black beans and cauliflower rice.

Gonnachange 02-01-2018 09:56 AM

Five or six rounds of:

High plank with hip touches
KB swings
Heavy ropes
Lateral sprints
Pushups
TRX mid rows

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp with basil pesto. I'm not sure of the side yet.

After dinner I'm going to a Boy Scout meeting with my son and when I get home from that I need to finish my book club book because our meeting is tomorrow.

Gonnachange 02-02-2018 08:39 AM

Ambient temp. of 22F, wind chill of 9F. Wait, run on my gym's dreadmill, or just suck it up?. Option 3 was the chosen one. Two miles. Heroic? Hardly, but it's done.

No cooking tonight because I have a book club meeting. True to form I still have 20 pages to read.

Gonnachange 02-03-2018 08:13 AM

After a lousy night's sleep I wasn't feeling as if I had much in the tank, but wound up having a very good workout.

My wife and I were supposed to meet a friend for dinner tonight in NYC, but the friend called to tell us she's sick. Guess I'm cooking and am leaning toward chicken stir fry. With my extra time I also have plans to smoke my cured pork belly and turn it into bacon.

Gonnachange 02-05-2018 10:10 AM

Yesterday's workout went well, but I struggled with this morning's one. I got through it however.

Three rounds of:

Bosu ball pushups with knee thrusts
Ball planks
Inverted high plank toe touches
Heavy ropes
Ball slams
Renegade rows
Planks

I haven't cooked dinner since Thursday and that will likely change tonight; I'll most likely be using the chicken I planned to cook on Saturday. I also smoked a cured pork belly on Saturday and we now have some more apple wood smoked maple bacon.

Gonnachange 02-06-2018 10:23 AM

I went for a 1.75 mile run this AM. No pace data.

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp and roasted cauliflower. Not sure how I'm going to prepare the crustacean part of the meal.

Gonnachange 02-06-2018 12:12 PM

Because I wasn't satisfied with just doing my short run I also did 50 pushups this afternoon. So that there's no confusion, there were some rest periods, especially after my past few days at the gym, which I'll be at by around 5:45 AM tomorrow for more fun. :eyeroll:

In cooking news that I didn't mention in my first post today, I'm currently dehydrating apples, oranges, and bananas. AFAIK, it's the first time I doing multiple things at once.

SoberLeigh 02-06-2018 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6776424)
Because I wasn't satisfied with just doing my short run I also did 50 pushups this afternoon. So that there's no confusion, there were some rest periods, especially after my past few days at the gym, which I'll be at by around 5:45 AM tomorrow for more fun. :eyeroll:

In cooking news that I didn't mention in my first post today, I'm currently dehydrating apples, oranges, and bananas. AFAIK, it's the first time I doing multiple things at once.

I have never tried to dehydrate anything. Do you use some kind of a machine?

Gonnachange 02-07-2018 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6776434)
I have never tried to dehydrate anything. Do you use some kind of a machine?

I never did until my wife bought me a dehydrator for Christmas. It adds a nice dimension for healthy snacks, and as I wrote in the Recipe Thread, I think, my initial impression is that with the fruits I'm not really saving $$, but we get the benefit of not having any additives for color or preservation. My dried bananas, for example, are just bananas. There's a big money savings for the beef jerky I've made and it's much healthier than any commercially produced product so it's a win-win. No preservatives, color additives, or anything a non scientist can't pronounce. In my two endeavors with the jerky the approximate sodium content of one ounce of finished product is between 50 and 75 mgs. Store bought stuff has between 350 and 600.

The model I was gifted, which is made by Cuisanart, is a very moderately priced one and so far, even though we're in the honeymoon stage with this stuff and I'm using it a few times per week, is meeting our needs.

Today

Today's workout consisted of 2 different circuits, each done 3 times, of 6 exercises of 60 seconds each that was a total body experience.

Dinner tonight is going to be roasted pork tenderloin with a mango salsa. I'm using frozen mangos, a first, so there's some experimentation with the dinner. The accompaniment is going to be roasted asparagus. In dehydrating news, yesterday I did apples, bananas, and a test of an orange. The orange experiment was a hit so I'm making more today along with some bananas.